Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Hailgod
  • 1 Post By Hailgod
  • 1 Post By narkizy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2017, 11:19 PM   #1

Asus GL703VM Scar VS Razer Blade Pro Full HD

Hi.
I am looking for a laptop change from Asus G75V.
Currently I am looking at Asus GL703 Scar and Razer Blade Pro Full HD. Both of these are pretty new laptop in the market. Thus, I am not able to get much reviews for them.

My purpose of getting the laptop is mainly for my work and minor gaming. I am a designer and work a lot of Adobe software and some video rendering jobs.

Currently deciding between:
Asus GL703VM Scar ($2703) VS Razer Blade Pro Full HD ($2999)

Both of these models are running promotions.
Asus GL703VM Scar has free upgrade to 24GB RAM and upsize SSD.
Razer Blade Pro Full HD already discounted $400 and free Hammerhead V2.

Also I have been looking at other 2 models:
Dell XPS15
Asus Zenbook Pro UX550

Could someone give me some good advice regarding this scenario?
Planning to get the laptop within these 2 days.

Thank you.
ed3n89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #2

Hi.
I am looking for a laptop change from Asus G75V.
Currently I am looking at Asus GL703 Scar and Razer Blade Pro Full HD. Both of these are pretty new laptop in the market. Thus, I am not able to get much reviews for them.

My purpose of getting the laptop is mainly for my work and minor gaming. I am a designer and work a lot of Adobe software and some video rendering jobs.

Currently deciding between:
Asus GL703VM Scar ($2703) VS Razer Blade Pro Full HD ($2999)

Both of these models are running promotions.
Asus GL703VM Scar has free upgrade to 24GB RAM and upsize SSD.
Razer Blade Pro Full HD already discounted $400 and free Hammerhead V2.

Also I have been looking at other 2 models:
Dell XPS15
Asus Zenbook Pro UX550

Could someone give me some good advice regarding this scenario?
Planning to get the laptop within these 2 days.

Thank you.
Screen. The GL703VM uses a 'lousier' TN 120 Hz panel while the Blade pro uses a superior IPS panel. My Prime 15 uses a 120 Hz TN panel and its indeed quite mediocre compared to IPS panels. These two are made for gaming with good cooling system. Both have full 1060.

XPS 15/zenbook pro does not having good cooling systems. And only have 1050 ti. They do not last well under prolonged gaming load. But since you wont be gaming much cooling wont be an issue.

Of course, 1060 performs better than 1050 ti for video rendering/editing etc. Pricewise XPS 15 or zenbook pro is just as expensive if not more than the Razer blade pro/Asus scar.

Last edited by narkizy; 13-12-2017 at 02:48 PM..
narkizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #3

XPS 15/zenbook pro does not having good cooling systems. And only have 1050 ti. They do not last well under prolonged gaming load. But since you wont be gaming much cooling wont be an issue.
cooling is always an issue, no doubt gaming makes the processors run hot, but gaming is not the only kind of task that can do that.

it so happens video editing is also a type of task that taxes your CPU and GPU, so its going to make the processors work extra hard, possibly even as hard as a gaming workload

My sister has a zenbook pro from recent SITEX and when i looked at it, theres basically zero ventilation on the underside. And it has to somehow cool a 940MX, it took less than 2 days of using the laptop before she start complaining heat and fan noise while using google chrome.

Basically if youre buying a laptop that has a discrete GPU, even if you dont game on it, one tip i recommend is look at the underside and rear and see how its ventilation is designed. On showfloor models, they rarely run it at full load so using your hand to try and feel the heat is quite pointless.

I agree on getting the laptop with IPS rather than 120hz purely since the colour reproduction will be better for all the adobe work. However the 1080p screen on that blade pro model is supposedly not the same as the IGZO one, so uncertain if the 1080p screen also has 100% srgb

Last edited by chiaRH; 13-12-2017 at 04:03 PM..
chiaRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #4

cooling is always an issue, no doubt gaming makes the processors run hot, but gaming is not the only kind of task that can do that.

it so happens video editing is also a type of task that taxes your CPU and GPU, so its going to make the processors work extra hard, possibly even as hard as a gaming workload

My sister has a zenbook pro from recent SITEX and when i looked at it, theres basically zero ventilation on the underside. And it has to somehow cool a 940MX, it took less than 2 days of using the laptop before she start complaining heat and fan noise while using google chrome.

Basically if youre buying a laptop that has a discrete GPU, even if you dont game on it, one tip i recommend is look at the underside and rear and see how its ventilation is designed. On showfloor models, they rarely run it at full load so using your hand to try and feel the heat is quite pointless.

I agree on getting the laptop with IPS rather than 120hz purely since the colour reproduction will be better for all the adobe work. However the 1080p screen on that blade pro model is supposedly not the same as the IGZO one, so uncertain if the 1080p screen also has 100% srgb
Hi. I have checked that the Razer Blade Pro Full HD does has 100% SRGB. Does that means Blade Pro is a better choice than the GL703VM? Hmmm
Old 13-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #5

Screen. The GL703VM uses a 'lousier' TN 120 Hz panel while the Blade pro uses a superior IPS panel. My Prime 15 uses a 120 Hz TN panel and its indeed quite mediocre compared to IPS panels. These two are made for gaming with good cooling system. Both have full 1060.

Of course, 1060 performs better than 1050 ti for video rendering/editing etc. Pricewise XPS 15 or zenbook pro is just as expensive if not more than the Razer blade pro/Asus scar.
If thats the case, I assume the Blade Pro is a better choice than the GL703VM?
Old 13-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #6

Hi. I have checked that the Razer Blade Pro Full HD does has 100% SRGB. Does that means Blade Pro is a better choice than the GL703VM? Hmmm
where did u check? it has 89% srgb.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Razer-...ml#toc-display
ed3n89 likes this.
Hailgod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 10:53 PM   #7

where did u check? it has 89% srgb.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Razer-...ml#toc-display
Thanks for the info. I mistaken about the 100% sRGB. I watched a video on YouTube saying it's 97% sRGB but from the link that you shared, it seems only 89.3%. GL703 is even lower which is at 86.1% only...

Dell XPS15 has 100% sRGB tho... hmmmm.... darn... tough choice.
Old 13-12-2017, 11:42 PM   #8

Thanks for the info. I mistaken about the 100% sRGB. I watched a video on YouTube saying it's 97% sRGB but from the link that you shared, it seems only 89.3%. GL703 is even lower which is at 86.1% only...

dont get the xps 15 for gaming. it has many issues with vram cooling, processor underclocking due to power limits etc.

it just happens to have a gtx 1050, even then a 1050 isnt a very good gaming gpu.
ed3n89 likes this.
Hailgod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 12:19 AM   #9

dont get the xps 15 for gaming. it has many issues with vram cooling, processor underclocking due to power limits etc.

it just happens to have a gtx 1050, even then a 1050 isnt a very good gaming gpu.
Yea... Interested in the XPS15 become of the great screen only. So, which would you recommend? Blade Pro Full HD? GL703VM? Or is there anything else you would recommend? A laptop that is good for design+video work and minor gaming.
Old 14-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #10

you have to consider do you really die die need such a perfect sRGB coverage cos its quite hard to find devices that meet the mark, except for workstations which are in a different league and more expensive

and colour is a very tricky thing which also frankly cannot be sum up in a simple sRGB percentage value. Last year I bought a Aftershock S17 and its screen supposed to be 'wide gamut' but I found out that it is a 6-bit display and thus colour reproduction was underwhelming (it refreshed at 75hz and in order to hit that frame rate apparently it employed FRC or something which caused dithering in some blue shades) so much so that I made the decision to get an external monitor

btw I believe MSI's GS and GT series, those with the TrueColour display branding may be 100% or close to 100% srgb too, you could look into those.

Gigabyte Areo 15X too, that one has good display and is probably the only gaming laptop with great battery life to GPU performance ratio.

But again display is 1 metric only, still have to look at the machine as a whole

Last edited by chiaRH; 14-12-2017 at 09:29 AM..
chiaRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 09:40 AM   #11

Yea... Interested in the XPS15 become of the great screen only. So, which would you recommend? Blade Pro Full HD? GL703VM? Or is there anything else you would recommend? A laptop that is good for design+video work and minor gaming.
GPU doesnt matter that much for design work/ video work + minor gaming. A 1050 TI is MORE THAN SUFFICIENT. The difference between the 1060 and 1050ti isnt very magnificent, most seen in the video rendering times difference.

Idk why people here are talking abt gaming rofl.

And to address the cooling weaknesses in non-gaming laptops: The XPS 15 overall isnt bad in its cooling abilities. If you read the online reviews/complaints about the XPS 15 they tend to be from idiots who tried using the XPS as a gaming machine by loading Witcher 3 on it(99% GPU usage) and playing it for hours, then whining why the hell is it overheating.
It CAN and will handle light gaming like DOTA, overwatch well as long as you elevate the laptop.

The XPS 15 was meant as a performance all-rounder that can handle media-creation perfectly with its perfect screen and decent-enough GPU yet remain extremely thin and light.

I'd say even despite the price, if you like good aesthetics and portability with slightly above average power(the other two are much heavier and thicker) then go for the XPS 15.

The other two provide of course, more raw power in their full 1060 6gb but abit worse screens which may prove a problem if you do alot of photo-editting. I'd say consider the Alienware R15 4k screen if you want a pretty much perfect screen with top-notch build quality:

http://www.dell.com/sg/p/alienware-1...10kbl:760~KUHD

If you want a good screen in the first place then just pay more for a 4k panel on any of the three lol.

I could recommend you one last option if you're feeling incredibly rich and STUPID:
The Mac Book Pro with Radeon Pro graphics. About 4k SGD but with a 1050 level GPU. Of course, looks and feels beautiful with the best screen on the market, but significantly worse rendering time and overall lousier performance even with final cut pro. But hey, best screen on the market =p
ed3n89 likes this.

Last edited by narkizy; 14-12-2017 at 09:52 AM..
Old 14-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #12

Thanks for all the great info, everyone! Really appreciate these.

Let me provide more info here:

==============================================
My current laptop : ASUS ROG G75V (i7-3720; 8GB RAM; GTX 670M)
Purpose for new laptop : Design and video works (Adobe software) + Minor gaming (Eg.: GTA V or Android Emulators)

Prefer a slim form factor with great specs below $3k.

My current options:

1. ASUS GL703VM (i7-7700HQ; GTX1060 6GB DDR5; 16GB RAM; 256GB SSD + 1TB SHDD; 17" 120Hz TN Panel 94% NTSC)
/// S$2700+ On-going promotion with free upgrade to 24GB RAM and 512SSD
/// Reason for this choice : Great specs for the price and free upgrades
/// Concern : How bad is TN panel? Is it worse that my current G75V?

2. Razer Blade Pro (i7-7700HQ; GTX1060 6GB DDR5; 16GB RAM; 256GB SSD + 2TB HDD; 17" 120Hz IPS Panel 89.3% sRGB, 58.1% aRGB)
/// S$2999 Price is already S$400 off from Razer website
/// Reason for this choice : Great specs and the IPS panel
/// Concern : More expensive compared the other options and I heard the color on IPS panel with 120Hz is not as good as 60Hz IPS panel. Is that true?

3. Dell XPS15 (i7-7700HQ; GTX1050 4GB DDR5; 16GB RAM; 512GB SSD; 15.6" 4K UHD Touchscreen 100% sRGB, 88.3 aRGB)
/// S$2999 No on-going promotion
/// Reason for this choice : Portability and the screen
/// Concern : Not powerful enough compared to the other options and price.

** I did search for the other laptops that you guys recommended but I prefer a slimmer laptop with powerful specs which at least can last me for the next 5 years.
** MacBook will not be in my list. LOL... iMac might be. But solely for work only. Haha

I have an external 24" SE series Dell monitor setup together with my current laptop at my current workspace.
The reason for the options above are based on slim form factor and the specs are what I'm really looking for which is within my budget (below S$3,000).
It is really hard to choose as all of them have their own strength and weaknesses.

I love the GL703VM for the price and specs but I am very concern about the TN panel. Else, I would have definitely get this. This laptop give me the most for the price.

I love Razer Blade Pro Full HD for the IPS panel, laptop design and the specs but the price is putting me off a bit as compared to GL703VM. If I were to choose this, it is because of the IPS panel, 2TB drive, design and the brand.

I love the Dell XPS because of the 4K UHD screen. Other than the screen, nothing else much really impress me compared to the other 2 options because it's at $2999 which give lower specs but much better screen.

Dilemma.......... Today is the last day of promotions. :/

I wish I had won the Toto Jackpot. LOL

Last edited by ed3n89; 14-12-2017 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: Missed out some points
Old 21-02-2018, 06:52 AM   #13

What did you end up getting?

Sent from Samsung SM-N950F using GAGT
chanbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 10:24 PM   #14
Supremacy Member

With the price so high one will get the brand DELL meh?

Is dell a good brand? Don't really have a good feel on this brand with such high price hahaha
endlssorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 07:20 PM   #15

With the price so high one will get the brand DELL meh?

Is dell a good brand? Don't really have a good feel on this brand with such high price hahaha
Dell is a very solid brand. Their Alienware, XPS and Inspiron lines are very, very stable and of excellent quality and are one of the few mainstream brand lineups that have very little criticism.

Last edited by narkizy; 14-05-2018 at 09:21 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.