The Hair Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj_flame

Reaction score
Also, not sure if I'll get shot to death by asking this, but what's everyone's opinion of Gatsby Moving Rubber?
It works but it's a bitch to emulsify and apply, as well as wash off. I get the feeling long term use makes my hair unhealthier? (might be a placebo effect)

Thanks for answering my questions guys.

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pomades are usually for those slicked back type right? If I'm going for other looks a wax/clay would work better? Any brands to recommend?

Also, not sure if I'll get shot to death by asking this, but what's everyone's opinion of Gatsby Moving Rubber?

Sent from my toaster oven using GAGT
Bb90 is a pomade? How's the hold and shine?

Sent from cramped red dot using GAGT
Actually it has been discussed here that the word pomade has been abused for marketing purposes and for a lot of products now is a meaningless term.

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT

nichsong

Reaction score
Pomade is kind of a really loose term now since the word itself is an "in" thing. It's the whole package consisting of gentlemen barbershops + dapper haircuts + pomade + old school that is in trend now, hence the word has stuck. But in actual fact, most of these pomades advertised are essentially clays, waxes and creams. For example, Baxter of California's Clay Pomade is a clay, not a pomade imo. It's just the marketing and advertising part of things to fit the current trend. A traditional pomade is typically petroleum based, and provides a high hold and shine. Although you can find many water based variants nowadays.. so yep! Loosely used term.

As for Gatsby Moving Rubber.. I guess everyone more or less started with these so can't blame haha. But honestly they are really difficult to wash off for starters, and in terms of quality of ingredients, they can't match up to the brands which are commonly discussed here. I'd say almost any brand of hair product being discussed here would beat Gatsby products any day. Haha I think everyone would agree!

Pomades are usually for those slicked back type right? If I'm going for other looks a wax/clay would work better? Any brands to recommend?

whysoliddat

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pomade is kind of a really loose term now since the word itself is an "in" thing. It's the whole package consisting of gentlemen barbershops + dapper haircuts + pomade + old school that is in trend now, hence the word has stuck. But in actual fact, most of these pomades advertised are essentially clays, waxes and creams. For example, Baxter of California's Clay Pomade is a clay, not a pomade imo. It's just the marketing and advertising part of things to fit the current trend. A traditional pomade is typically petroleum based, and provides a high hold and shine. Although you can find many water based variants nowadays.. so yep! Loosely used term.

As for Gatsby Moving Rubber.. I guess everyone more or less started with these so can't blame haha. But honestly they are really difficult to wash off for starters, and in terms of quality of ingredients, they can't match up to the brands which are commonly discussed here. I'd say almost any brand of hair product being discussed here would beat Gatsby products any day. Haha I think everyone would agree!
I see, thanks! I'm just venturing out of off the shelves products for now, anything you'd recommend in the $20-30 price points? Preferably accessible in shops locally. Thanks!

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just went to have a look. Anyone with recommendations for any of these? Looking for a change from my Gatsby products. I'm NOT doing a slicked back look.

SQaUsWIl.jpg

pE8mchCl.jpg

whysoliddat

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

It depends on the product, really.

Traditional pomades are oilbased, and also their water-based variant

Sent from my Den Den Mushi using GAGT

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what style are you looking to do? :s11:
I don't really know how to describe lol. I can't do slicked back because:

(i) I have a very ugly hairline
(ii) my forehead is very high

Usually what I do is to layer and texture my hair to one side lo, then try to add some volume at the top. Basically mimic what the hairdressers usually do after my haircut.

So, which brand is good for a change from my Gatsby? Saw a Hanz de Fuko display case just now.

nichsong

Reaction score
As for recommendations, as well as where to get the latest in-trend products, I think you can PM gaoxing84 on this :) With your budget range you'll defo be able to afford many of the current, contemporary brands being offered. Otherwise I would say give leejhong a PM too. Take your time to explore and ask questions! Both of them are more than willing to give advice and recommendations on what might work for your hair.

I see, thanks! I'm just venturing out of off the shelves products for now, anything you'd recommend in the $20-30 price points? Preferably accessible in shops locally. Thanks!

kosongice

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As for recommendations, as well as where to get the latest in-trend products, I think you can PM gaoxing84 on this :) With your budget range you'll defo be able to afford many of the current, contemporary brands being offered. Otherwise I would say give leejhong a PM too. Take your time to explore and ask questions! Both of them are more than willing to give advice and recommendations on what might work for your hair.
Thanks for the heads up! Are you by any chance from Stagmont Camp?

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't really know how to describe lol. I can't do slicked back because:

(i) I have a very ugly hairline
(ii) my forehead is very high

Usually what I do is to layer and texture my hair to one side lo, then try to add some volume at the top. Basically mimic what the hairdressers usually do after my haircut.

So, which brand is good for a change from my Gatsby? Saw a Hanz de Fuko display case just now.

pictures of what the hairstylist did to you?

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score

Just went to have a look. Anyone with recommendations for any of these? Looking for a change from my Gatsby products. I'm NOT doing a slicked back look.

SQaUsWIl.jpg

pE8mchCl.jpg

looking for non off the shelf. looking IN the shelf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.