Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoiRequiem

Reaction score
To Ark Law,

When room temp is quite far from your remote set temp, fan speed will be high.
When room temp is achieved or close to, fan speed will be lowered.
This is how the Auto Fan Speed works.

Is there any disadvantage to setting the air con fan speed to Auto when in cool mode? For my model, the dry mode has fan speed set to auto and can't be changed. At low speeds (which is usually the case in auto), there is some condensation on the "air flow swing", but not nearly enough that it is dripping down on the floor.

tanjhj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i going for MHI.
tested and proven. still going strong for 4 years in my family house

based on technology mhi is more advanced, have ionizer which star dun have. i i would go for mhi over star.

just rcvd the GC sugei kadut brochure.

star is ridiculously ex.

star sys 3 - 5 ticks $3389
MHI sys 3 - 3 ticks $2799 (600 difference ! i take the cash saving over electricity bill saving stright away. MHI also give 12k btu free upgrade)
Panasonic sys 3 - 4 ticks $3079 (free $150 grocery , i take this $500 saving over star anytime)

MHI sys 2 $1999 - 4 ticks (free 12k btu upgrade)
star sys 2 $2469 - 5 ticks ($500 difference! i take MHI anytime)

also if i need a system 4, i will take mhi sys 2 x 2 (12kbtu) - $3998 over $4400 star anytime. with 2 compressor, i can no worry if compressor died and also i get to have power and 4 ticks ! with 12k btu fcu is and issue of electricity as 12kbtu consume 25% more electricity over 9k btu. I may ask for 9k btu for some of the FCU instead.

not forgotting star has no ionizer while mhi and panasonic has!

Last edited:

tanjhj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to correct, "the 12k btu consumes 25% more electricity over 9k btu".

That statement is false.

Sent from LGE LG-D855 using GAGT

Hi i be using Lg fcu as sample

Cooling Capacity
Min.∼Rated∼Max. (kW) 1.45 ~ 2.64 ~ 2.99
Min.∼Rated∼Max. (Btu/h) 4,950 ~ 9,000 ~ 10,200

http://www.lg.com/sg/home-air-conditioners/lg-AMNC09GDBA2

Cooling Capacity
Min.∼Rated∼Max. (kW) 1.93 ~ 3.52 ~ 4.02
Min.∼Rated∼Max. (Btu/h) 6,600 ~ 12,000 ~ 13,700

http://www.lg.com/sg/home-air-conditioners/lg-AMNC12GDBA2

the kw can be abt 33% difference btw the 2 fcu,
however i understand during the idle(or i call stable) state it can be lower so the use of 25%.

correct me if i am wrong. i am eager to learn since i also getting my own Air-con soon.

serverxeon

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The operating power will of course be higher for 12k btu fcus.

But you need to consider that a 12k fcu will cool the room faster than a 9k (assuming the compressor is sufficient). That also means the 12k will work at the rated power, for a shorter duration than a 9k will. The 12k will go into idle earlier than the 9k.

So overall how does the average electricity consumption plays out? I have no concrete answer. My personal gut feeling is the 12k will consume more electricity, but no more than 10% over its 9k counterpart.

25% is too much. Considering the bulk of the energy consumption comes from heat rejection, whose rate becomes (close to) 0 once the room has reached set temperature.

10% is a generous buffer I believe. I attribute it to the extra energy consumed by the slightly larger blower motor in the larger fancoil. That's about the only difference.

Last edited:

tqx

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is a system 4 enough for a living room or need system 5?

ID recommend system 3+2 for both living and bed room, is that a better idea?

Normal 5 rm flat.

tanjhj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The operating power will of course be higher for 12k btu fcus.

But you need to consider that a 12k fcu will cool the room faster than a 9k (assuming the compressor is sufficient). That also means the 12k will work at the rated power, for a shorter duration than a 9k will. The 12k will go into idle earlier than the 9k.

So overall how does the average electricity consumption plays out? I have no concrete answer. My personal gut feeling is the 12k will consume more electricity, but no more than 10% over its 9k counterpart.

25% is too much. Considering the bulk of the energy consumption comes from heat rejection, whose rate becomes (close to) 0 once the room has reached set temperature.

10% is a generous buffer I believe. I attribute it to the extra energy consumed by the slightly larger blower motor in the larger fancoil. That's about the only difference.

IC , however better be on safer side and put 25% which is as stated in papers specification.if not ppl may get scared by the bills.

Last edited:

tanjhj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is a system 4 enough for a living room or need system 5?

ID recommend system 3+2 for both living and bed room, is that a better idea?

Normal 5 rm flat.

depend on ur 5 room is old or new flat. the old one will need system 5. if new bto 5 room can do with system 4. however depends on layout of the living room and also if you want proper cooling. u can get MHI system 4 (1x 24k , 3 x 9k)

or MHI system 4 (1x ceiling cassette for your hall and 3 x 9k fcu for ur room.

or u can get 1 x cassette for your hall and a system 3 for your rooms.

or u can get 3+2 systems as per your ID.

tanjhj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How about spare parts replacement? Heard that MHI parts replacement is more costly.

Star change a pcb in compressor / fcu 500-1000.
MHI change a pcb in compressor / fcu 600-1000.

if u read other air con threads in this forum, someone did feedback ME pcb breaks down quite often

tanjhj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Electronics expo 2016 22-24 Jul, got quite a few good deals (including aircon, tV) from their brochures.

esp their panasonic sy-stem 2 (4 ticks i believe) $1980 with free panasonic microwave oven

good for those who wants to have 2 x system 2 for their four rooms and 5 rooms

another one is MHI system 3 (4 ticks i believe) $2690 cashback $100

*If they are 2 ticks systems m, dun bother.

Brochure here https://m.facebook.com/Electronics-Expo-117636541774482/

Last edited:

Hottyhot

Reaction score
Electronics expo 2016 22-24 Jul, got quite a few good deals (including aircon, tV) from their brochures.

esp their panasonic sy-stem 2 (4 ticks i believe) $1980 with free panasonic microwave oven

good for those who wants to have 2 x system 2 for their four rooms and 5 rooms

another one is MHI system 3 (4 ticks i believe) $2690 cashback $100
Does hdb allow installation of 2 compressor?

Hottyhot

Reaction score

tanjhj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i not expert but sys 3 is just few hundreds more n also if u do a single sys later, u need another trunking

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
a few days into observing performance of my new sys3 using a Muji hygrometer. setting a lower target temp doesn't seem to lower the measured temp, but rather further decreases relative humidity to give a perceived colder feeling.

what's kinda odd is that Dry mode is able to produce cool air faster (although the auto fan speed limits itself to low & lower) than Cool mode itself.

Cool mode - 18deg + high fan = 21.8 to 23.2 w/ 41-49% RH
Cool mode - 25deg + med fan = 25.2 to 25.8 w/ 65-70% RH
Cool mode - 26deg + med fan = 25.5 to 26.3 w/ 68-75% RH
Dry mode - -1deg delta = 25.0 to 26.3 w/ 58-65% RH

Of course nothing entirely scientific, but interesting to see that dry mode (which runs quieter) performing as good as cool mode for comfortable climate settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.