Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megalodon

Reaction score
One thing you need to consider is the luggage. If you stay in hotels, at your "arrival" hotel even if the room isn't ready, you can store luggage with the front desk and go out sightseeing and come back later. How are you planning to get around this problem for your airbnb's?

This day will be freaking shag. Even if you're not doing the auction, etc, you'll be awake at ~6am? And then DisneySea closes at 10pm, reach home 11pm. If I were you I wouldn't bother with Sushi Dai, just save energy to have fun at DisneySea. Want good sushi just come back to SG eat lunch set at Ginza Sushi Ichi or Shinji by Kanesaka. Frankly it's better food anyway for not much more money.
Planning to put in railway station locker. Have to wake up early to secure one.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may cancel or arrange another day to visit Tsukiji fish market after all.

Sushi dai I head 4am too late already maybe Long queue. Need to be even earlier to avoid queue.
For me, I will not bother about sushi dai.
In all my trips to Tokyo, I've never queued for Sushi Dai or Daiwa Sushi (each managed by father and son respectively). The queues were long since my first visit in 2010. I rather queue for eateries popular with their own locals instead.
Thanks for the suggestion for Sushi Dai but I really wanted to try before it moves to new location. I'll just go earlier another day instead of together with Disneysea. Might as well try other eateries as well.

Kichi Kichi. Ultimate tourist trap. Please don't fall into.
First time must become carrot head if not will always regret why never go even though people say it's a trap :s22:

Hirokawa u need get someone or hotel or some Japanese to help u reserve it. The Queue is 2-3 hours. Crash one. Reservations will save u a lot of time.
I managed to get my Airbnb host to make a reservation for me at Hirokawa so it should be fine right?

My suggestions. Cancel all the accomdations and rebook. Your period in Kyoto not yet the peak so hotels still possible. Stay in same place for Kansai either in Osaka or Kyoto but don't need both Osaka and Kyoto.

For Tokyo definitely possible to find one hotel and stay throughout no need stay asakusa and Shibuya. It is so so so weird.
I agree, your current arrangement is madness. Even if you lose cancellation fees with Airbnb, or have to top up for a hotel that can cover your travel period, the trade off is gaining back the lost hours (and energy) in unpacking/repacking and changing hotels. With that many changes some hiccup will invariably occur and eat up even more time.

Don't waste time with Sushi Dai/Daiwa if you aren't planning to check out the market itself (nevermind the auction). There are plenty of good sushiyas in Japan.
I admit this is bad planning on my part. Didn't really think of it cause I was just looking for the cheapest Airbnb available that time then booked dy. For Kyoto and Osaka I thought I can save time if I stay in different cities so I went ahead with 2 different lodging. For Tokyo, I couldn't find cheap ones that fit my schedule at that time so I just split the date and book 2 accommodation.

In any case, I think it's kinda too late to change the arrangement. Money aside, I don't want to trouble the host by cancelling at this moment and give bad impression about foreigners. It's my mistake after all. Shall just take it as a lesson and stick with it. Future trips will not repeat the same mistake again... :vijayadmin:

Any other opinion on the itinerary flow other than accommodation? More concerned if there is enough time to visit all the places we wanted to go, especially in Tokyo. I like electronic stuff and she likes anime stuff so most likely will spend a lot of time in Ikebukuro, Nakano, and Akihabara. Is it ok to visit Shinjuku + Ikebukuro one day, Shibuya + Harajuku one day?

Also, planning to take one day JR Kansai Area Pass for Himeji + Kobe day trip and one day Kintetsu Rail Pass for Nara day trip. Compared against Hyperdia and the day pass is worth it but would like to hear your opinions.

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Planning to put in railway station locker. Have to wake up early to secure one.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may cancel or arrange another day to visit Tsukiji fish market after all.

Thanks for the suggestion for Sushi Dai but I really wanted to try before it moves to new location. I'll just go earlier another day instead of together with Disneysea. Might as well try other eateries as well.

First time must become carrot head if not will always regret why never go even though people say it's a trap :s22:

I managed to get my Airbnb host to make a reservation for me at Hirokawa so it should be fine right?

I admit this is bad planning on my part. Didn't really think of it cause I was just looking for the cheapest Airbnb available that time then booked dy. For Kyoto and Osaka I thought I can save time if I stay in different cities so I went ahead with 2 different lodging. For Tokyo, I couldn't find cheap ones that fit my schedule at that time so I just split the date and book 2 accommodation.

In any case, I think it's kinda too late to change the arrangement. Money aside, I don't want to trouble the host by cancelling at this moment and give bad impression about foreigners. It's my mistake after all. Shall just take it as a lesson and stick with it. Future trips will not repeat the same mistake again... :vijayadmin:

Any other opinion on the itinerary flow other than accommodation? More concerned if there is enough time to visit all the places we wanted to go, especially in Tokyo. I like electronic stuff and she likes anime stuff so most likely will spend a lot of time in Ikebukuro, Nakano, and Akihabara. Is it ok to visit Shinjuku + Ikebukuro one day, Shibuya + Harajuku one day?

Also, planning to take one day JR Kansai Area Pass for Himeji + Kobe day trip and one day Kintetsu Rail Pass for Nara day trip. Compared against Hyperdia and the day pass is worth it but would like to hear your opinions.

1. Sushi Dai must really be early. like 2am or 1am those type
http://www.thewholeworldisaplayground.com/how-to-eat-seat-sushi-dai-tokyo-tips-guide/
This person queue at 3:30am is 50th in queue already. So maybe you need to start at midnight. Although, depending on your budget, i can recommend better than sushi dai. without queue but need reservations. Sushi dai now already another tourist trap mostly foreigner. Rule of Thumb, those shops that cater to mostly foreigners can avoid since Japanese don't even bother going.

2. Kichi Kichi. Tourist Trap. Japan got a website known as Tabelog. Very powerful side that can make or break restaurants. It is better reference than even Michelin
https://tabelog.com/kyoto/A2601/A260301/26000226/
Maximum point is 5 and you can refer to kichi Kichi score. 3.20, i will not go there even if they give me free. Kichi Kichi maybe recently 1-2 years become very famous online because tourists take the video and post on facebook type. If you throw a stone in Gion, 99% u will hit a restaurant that is better than Kichi Kichi.

3. If you got reservations for Hirokawa then it is safe. be on time for your seating. Hirokawa always got long queue for the past few years. Without reservation easily 2-3 hours wait. I ate there twice in 2013 and 2014.

4. Disneysea. Need to queue at gate before opening be in front and rush to get fastpass. Disney is super crowded on most days.

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my personal input on tabelog ratings

the ratings keep being averaged out by tabelog app users who submit a rating after eating there. I would say it is the first thing I would look at when I see something being recommended on my social networks. Sometimes you can only find the place on gurunavi which has an english app.

Personally, for tabelog scores a place that is rated higher than 3.5 is going to smash your tastebuds....

https://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1305/A130501/13003927/

Take this place for example. It has somehow gotten a rather big international tourist following and they even stress that none of the stores that carry the same name overseas is related to them in any shape or form. I have been there twice and each time has been a really energising meal.

I even made my friends go there for lunch on the day we landed in Japan for the second time I visited. Best evil decision I made like ever!! :s13:

edit: locals are still going to that place, the turnover is good enough

further edit:
https://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1313/A131301/13121289/

I go to this place for a sushi lunch if I am at the tsukiji area. Been there twice and I would say it is a pretty enjoyable experience. Not quite the same deal as sushi daiwa since they make each piece behind the counter and serve you straight away. I am not gonna complain for a lunch that dun cost more than 2k yen

Last edited:

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tried to go to Mutekiya and the queue was ridiculous, even at 4pm!
I got to say that if you time it right and is lucky it ain't that bad

the first time I got there the queue was all the way at the lawson door. :s13:

nemo88

Reaction score
1. Sushi Dai must really be early. like 2am or 1am those type
http://www.thewholeworldisaplayground.com/how-to-eat-seat-sushi-dai-tokyo-tips-guide/
This person queue at 3:30am is 50th in queue already. So maybe you need to start at midnight. Although, depending on your budget, i can recommend better than sushi dai. without queue but need reservations. Sushi dai now already another tourist trap mostly foreigner. Rule of Thumb, those shops that cater to mostly foreigners can avoid since Japanese don't even bother going.

The queues are insane. I've done Daiwa but that was many many years ago before the queues have gotten this crazy, and I only ever go to Tsukiji about 8-9AM. I guess it's a check box destination for many, not necessarily going for the food but going for the experience. There's honestly better stuff out there without this much difficulty getting access.

This May I was at Tsukiji and pretty much every restaurant in the jonai had a long queue (other than the Yoshinoya). I wonder if this kind of queue intensity will go away a little bit with the relocation delayed.

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The queues are insane. I've done Daiwa but that was many many years ago before the queues have gotten this crazy, and I only ever go to Tsukiji about 8-9AM. I guess it's a check box destination for many, not necessarily going for the food but going for the experience. There's honestly better stuff out there without this much difficulty getting access.

This May I was at Tsukiji and pretty much every restaurant in the jonai had a long queue (other than the Yoshinoya). I wonder if this kind of queue intensity will go away a little bit with the relocation delayed.
For the experience then any one of the shops will do. Although i went last year, most of the shops all need crazy. too many tourists in Japan now.

For good sushi, in Tokyo there are so many choices.
https://tabelog.com/tokyo/rstLst/RC010201/?SrtT=rt&Srt=D&sort_mode=1
Above 4.00 which is considered very good sushi place, there are 39 in Tokyo :eek:

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tabelog 4.0 rating all the price I cannot see one....

one day... when I huart big big... I will go try one time :s13:

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you gentlemen have bad luck man

But good luck during my first visit there a couple of years back leh. Went during drizzle and deep autumn time around 11am. Short Q. probably the cold scared away some.

chainer22

Reaction score
4. Disneysea. Need to queue at gate before opening be in front and rush to get fastpass. Disney is super crowded on most days.

just curious, based on experience how accurate is the Disney crowd forecast? it will be my first time visiting Disneysea in late Oct this year :)

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Locals still like going to Disneyland or sea.

The crowds gets worse if it is near some sort of festival. Christmas for example will see a lot more ppl than usual

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just curious, based on experience how accurate is the Disney crowd forecast? it will be my first time visiting Disneysea in late Oct this year :)

http://tdrnavi.jp/forecast/disneysea

Pretty accurate. Avoid weekend definitely.
Yellow is also quite crowded. You can click on the date you can see the estimated wait at each attractions. For Yellow, Toy story need 2 hours. Most popular one need at least 30mins or so queuing. Center of Earth, Tower of Terror all those even yellow need more than 1 hour queuing.
Green is perfect. But rare. Normally winter months can see because too cold to enjoy.

thwysg

Reaction score

Just be at the entrance before opening of the park. First thing just run to Toy Story Mania (shooting game) to grab the FastPass or queue immediately for the ride.

When it first opened in 2013, we went during Obon Week and all FastPass were already taken before 8.30am. I went end April before Golden Week this year (we had Happy15 Entry) and yet only managed to get the pass for a time slot around 5pm. It just shows how popular this ride is.

Hetheone

Reaction score
For sushi saito, once u try it......

U will know it just there..... but there r much better sushi than saito......

Spintronics

Reaction score
Just be at the entrance before opening of the park. First thing just run to Toy Story Mania (shooting game) to grab the FastPass or queue immediately for the ride.

When it first opened in 2013, we went during Obon Week and all FastPass were already taken before 8.30am. I went end April before Golden Week this year (we had Happy15 Entry) and yet only managed to get the pass for a time slot around 5pm. It just shows how popular this ride is.

Toy Story ride seems grossly overrated. I dont mind queuing for Big Band Beat though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.