Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

empirestrike

Reaction score
Panasonic Sys 3 installation

thick 22swg piping
1/2 inch insulation
16mm pvc pipe

not include bracket

$2950

if daikin and mitsubishi electric add another around $100 can get it done...

Nice Deal?

:s22::s22::s22:

dachee

Reaction score
Panasonic Sys 3 installation

thick 22swg piping
1/2 inch insulation
16mm pvc pipe

not include bracket

$2950

if daikin and mitsubishi electric add another around $100 can get it done...

Nice Deal?

:s22::s22::s22:

"if daikin and mitsubishi electric add another around $100 can get it done..."

How many ticks?

dachee

Reaction score
1. not sure yet but i see my neighbours having 2 condenser already.

2. have enough for 2 condensers

3. to be frank, now no need..

4. for my current parents' house, i usually use 25 degC.

and thank you for replying :)

Hi,
1. Still good to confirm with HDB on the number of power points. Two wrongs do not make one right.

2. If 2 power points is possible, I suggest to start with a single split. You can expend later, save more money at the mean time and there may be newer model when it is time to buy another one.

3. Installation cost is based on individual combination. Install 2 condenser now or 1 first another later is no different.

3. Get one that is 4 to 5 energy label ticks.

4. Air conditioner can be operated in conjunction with a fan to help you feel cooler. The air conditioner cools the room with cold air that is blown out from its FCU. The additional fan cools you further with dry moving air passing your skin causing evaporation as the dry air from the air conditioner removes heat from your body. Fan energy can be very low, as low as your light bulb. In short, if 25 degree is your comfort temperature, you can set it above 25 degree and yet feels the 25 degree when using an additional fan.

Last edited:

zzzzzz87

Reaction score
Hi,
1. Still good to confirm with HDB on the number of power points. Two wrongs do not make one right.

2. If 2 power points is possible, I suggest to start with a single split. You can expend later, save more money at the mean time and there may be newer model when it is time to buy another one.

3. Installation is based on individual combination. Install 2 condenser now or 1 first another later is no different.

3. Get one that is 4 to 5 energy label ticks.

4. Air conditioner can be operated in conjunction with a fan to help you feel cooler. The air conditioner cools the room with cold air that is blown out from its FCU. The additional fan cools you further with dry moving air passing your skin causing evaporation as the dry air from the air conditioner removes heat from your body. Fan energy can be very low, as low as your light bulb. In short, if 25 degree is your comfort temperature, you can set it above 25 degree and yet feels the 25 degree when using an additional fan.
hello.

1. if the powerpoint provided is only 1, i can ask my electrician to add another 1 too?

3. why do u suggest the 4-5 energy label ticks? thought 5 ticks would take longer to cool down the room compared to 2 ticks? i don't switch on for a significantly long time i think?

4. yeah i do use fan with aircon at my current house now at times.

dachee

Reaction score
Hello A/C experts,

I'm a new home owner (BTO, 4 room) who is in need of some expertise in selecting an appropriate A/C system for my home. There are many pages in this thread which I would be really keen to read, but alongside that, I'm reaching out to you for some quick wisdom.

Our flat is somewhat typical of the new BTOs these days. It has only been completed recently this year. Our renovation is going to be pretty simple, and the two biggest modifications that we're going to make to the house are:
1. Hack wall between dining area & kitchen, replaced with island counter (open kitchen)
2. Hack wall between service yard & kitchen, replaced with sliding glass door with tracks

It's just going to be my wife and myself in the house for now. Our activities (that require air-conditioning) will center mostly around the bedroom closest to the MBR (full study room), MBR, followed by the TV area.

We are not big-time aircon users, and will only turn on the aircon during haze season or hot nights. I estimate conservatively that we will only use about 3 - 4 hours of aircon per day in mostly 1 room, to perhaps 3 rooms at most in the far, far future. There may occasionally be a need for strong cooling in the living room/dining area during times when we have guests.

I'm thinking of a System 4 from Mitsubishi Electric for its ease of self-maintenance. The diagram shows where I intend to place the compressor and blowers. I'm under the impression that such a layout would be make it easier and neater during servicing. Our bed in the MBR will be orientated in a direction opposite to that shown in the diagram.

Some questions for your recommendations.
1. Inverter or non-inverter for power savings, quiet operation, etc.?
2. Split 3 + 1 or a System 4?
3. High BTU or something more mid-range? Could you suggest a rough number?
4. I'm trying to avoid placing blowers on top of beds. Would there be a better placement for the MBR blower that would still make it easy to maintain?
5. Is there a particular set of compressor + blower models that you would recommend?
6. I would like a high grade of insulation and piping to minimise the chances of condensation and pipe leakage. What are some recommended models/gauges that I should look out for?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

1. An inverter system is always better for temperature control, faster cooling, energy usage and noise level.

2. From your floor layout, There are two concerns.

2.1 The living room is opened to the dinner area and kitchen. There is no barrier. The air conditioner system may have to overwork to cool the whole area to the set temperature. With heat coming from your kitchen, in my opinion, this is not good.

2.2 The FCU in the Master Bdm is located above the toilet. It is normal that hot water is used during shower. This may cause water vapour from the toilet to condense on the cold surface of the FCU, causing water to drip.

3. The location of the FCU in the living room on the beam without a wall may have problem in laying the drain pipe.

4. If the drain pipes are going to be run in the flooring, it is good to have sufficient insulation to ensure that the drain pipes do not condense water. Otherwise you may face water dripping down your neighbour below and it is going to be very costly to rectify this problem.

5. Depending on the width of your wardrobe, the air flow of the FCU may be blocked and depending on the height of your wardrobe, the inlet air may be restricted in some way. However, these can be compromised with less than perfect outcome.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful.

Last edited:

dachee

Reaction score
hello.

1. if the powerpoint provided is only 1, i can ask my electrician to add another 1 too?

3. why do u suggest the 4-5 energy label ticks? thought 5 ticks would take longer to cool down the room compared to 2 ticks? i don't switch on for a significantly long time i think?

4. yeah i do use fan with aircon at my current house now at times.

Hi,

1. Depending on HDB rules and regulations. They may have current restriction. If allowed by HDB to have addition power point, then yes, you can get an electrician to add another one with new wiring from the DB. He cannot tap it from the existing air conditioner power point. Some air conditioner installer also provide such services.

3. It is not the length of time that you use the air conditioner. A 2 ticks is less efficient than a 4 or 5 ticks. Meantime that you pay more for using the 2 ticks than the 4 or 5 ticks for the same period of usage.

4. Good to hear that.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful

dachee

Reaction score
right now i'm in a dilemma

it's either a 12000BTU panasonic system 1 or 9000BTU mitsubushi system 1. both cost me around 800ish, unless i can find a cheaper worksman that provide cheaper installation.

Hi, what is your room area that you wish to have it air conditioned? And are you using your computer for gaming and what is your desired temperature setting?

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi aircon noob here so hope the pros can help me out haha

#1 Can non master bedroom install a single split?
#2 Assuming allowed, what BTU/models are VFM for a smallish bedroom under 45m cube vol?

TIA!

dachee

Reaction score
4 Septs that you must Check to ensure that your Aircon is installed Correctly.

Hi,

Sorry, wrong spelling in the above thread heading. Should be 4 steps.... Can't edit the thread heading!

During the installation of your air conditioner equipment by your contractor, it will come to a time when the gas pipes are to be connected to the condenser and the gas in it will be released to operator the system.

At this stage, there are 3 simple checks that you can do to ensure that your system will last you a long time and avoid expensive repairs.

1. Before the installer connects the gas piping to the condenser and FCU, check that he purge the piping IF he had done brazing on that line. Normally, a "good" installer will pump nitrogen into the pipe while he braze the pipe to ensure that the inside surface of the pipe does not for copper oxide that will affect your system. More information can be found here: http://www.rses.org/assets/rses_journal/0714_Nitrogen.pdf

However, if you are using new pipes, than there should be no brazing and only flare fitting joints are used unless installer "screwed up"!

2. After the installer connects the gas pipes to the condenser, he is required to vacuum the pipes to remove air and moisture inside it. NOTE that the DURATION of vacuuming is 15 mins or more. Many installer will do it for a very shot period or 5 mins (some don't even do it), specially when you don't time them. Proper vacuuming is important to protect the compressor, other parts as well as for effective cooling and for leak check.

3. After the 15 mins of vacuuming, the installer will have to close the low pressure manifold gauge valve (to make it easier for readers, look for the blue gauge and blue knob on the manifold gauge) and shut off the vacuum pump. AT THIS MOMENT, take a photo of the blue gauge focusing on the gauge pointer reading. Then wait for 1 to 2 mins and take another photo of the same gauge. Compare the position of the gauge pointer. If the position of the pointer has changed, even for a slight amount, is a sight of leaking some where in the piping or the manifold gauge tubing. The installer has to rectify this issue and redo the vacuum all over again. If this is not comply, you cannot confirmed that your system will not leak in the next 3 months time, one year time or even 2 years time when your warranty is over.

4. After the above point 3 is done accordingly, and the system is running, ask the installer to apply some soap and water solution over the service valve at the condenser to confirm that there is not leaking. If soap bubbles start to grow bigger at the valve, it is a sight that some thing there is leaking. The installer needs to rectify this and redo the soap leak test again.

The above are common practices that installers will normally skips from the manufacturer's installation requirements but can be very costly for you in future. Some installer may even argue with you for doing this, so get the understanding and agreement from the dealer that you purchase the system from that you want these steps to be done.

Last edited:

dachee

Reaction score

thecat21

Reaction score
Hi,

Good to know whether 24k Btu is the appropriate size. Not good to over size the system.

More information on effect of over sizing an air conditioner:

http://acrightsize.com/files/7_reasons_why_oversizing_is_a_bad_idea.pdf

Hi, here is my floorplan.
The green outline is area of coverage.
The red indicates hacked wall.
I think for my case 24k BTU might not be oversize due to open concept kitchen + extended living room. What do you think ?

213i0w.jpg

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To batuchka,

1) Should be able
2) 9k btu will be fine.

Thks! My initial research for single split indicates something like 1 year parts/labour and 5 year compressor? Why modern aircon makers dun dare give at least 3 years p+l lah lol Got good model with long warranty arnots ah?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.