Back from South island New Zealand

yclehh

Reaction score
Dear All,

will be going to South NZ for a holiday in mid June. I've done up an itinerary and would like to request the experts here for help on seeing whether the itinerary is doable.. We will be doing a self drive tour, starting from Christchurch, and ending back in Christchurch..

Day 1 - Land in CHC explore stay a night

Day 2 - Tranzalpine train to Greymouth, pick up car and drive to franz josef glacier. Stay a night.

Day 3 - Franz Josef glacier in the morning, take 2 hour walk, (either that or the one hour grand transverse with Air Safari.. not everybody in the group wants to go for the scenic flight...)

Start drive to fox glacier in the afternoon, maybe about 1pm? If time allows, walk to the terminal face of fox glacier... and Lake Matheson / Minnehaha walk in the evening if we are not too tired.

Day 4 - Lake Matheson walk in the morning (if we did not manage to catch the reflections the previous day.. or if we did not go at all the previous day).

Do you guys think we will be able to drive out to Lake Matheson at 6.30am in the morning? Its just a 15 min drive, right?

Maybe a light breakfast at Lake Matheson and start drive to Wanaka after that. (stop by Bruce Bay for food? Thunder creek pools, and Haast pass blue pools? anymore places that we should get down and go for?)

Wanaka tree if time allows, or national transport and toy museum?

Day 5 - Drive to Te Anau. Glowworm caves at night.

Day 6 - Milford Sound. we will be taking the coach - cruise- coach package by Mitre peak cruises.

Day 7 - Doubtful sound. With Real journeys picking us up at our accommodation

Day 8 - Drive to Queenstown. Explore. (Have not really see what we should go for there, any suggestions?)

Day 9 - Walter Peak. Is the BBQ lunch there worth going for? (I've checked, TSS Earnslaw is not available during the period that we are there...)

Day 10 - Set off for Mount Cook Village, stopping by Omarama for the sheep show. Stock up on food at Twizel. we will probably reach Mount Cook by 5 or 5+pm?

Day 11 - DOC Visitor center in the morning. Walks in mount cook village (Hooker valley / Tasman Glacier / Sealy tarns / Kea point - which one or two should i go for?)

Day 12 - Set off for CHC in the morning, stopping by Lake Tekapo for photos. Fairlie for Gem Alpaca Stud. and Geraldine for lunch. Since we are only stopping for about half an hour for Lake Tekapo, wont we have too much time before the Show at Gem Alpaca Stud starts?

Day 13 - Last min shopping / gondola / tram rides in CHC

Day 14 - Fly back to Singapore

Thanks people, please feel free to comment further.

Also, for Day 3 , is it very ambitious? if we go for the scenic flight, im choosing air safari because it's $370 for 50min. or should i really just skip franz josef totally and go for fox glacier only?

Have a happy sunday people!

yclehh

Reaction score
I replied to your original thread there but better to reply here and not continue that thread.

hmm btw i redid my itinerary.. its different from the original thread... also.. we are not driving from CHC to Fox glacier straight.. gonna take the scenic train to Greymouth and pick up our car from there.. gonna stop by wanaka instead of queenstown first.

we are stopping by queenstown to sorta chill for two nights because we've got two 'aunties' with us.. otherwise it will be just walks walks and walks.

sihevai

Reaction score
appreciate experts' review on initial itinerary

Hi everybody, I am planning a 15 days self drive south island trip this Nov/Dec with my family of 4 (2 kids under 5 years old). Need some feedback/advice from experts here to see if my initial itinerary is feasible!

Day 1
arrive at CHC and rest for the day

Day 2
CHC - Lake Tekapo/Pukaki/Ohau
Will be staying 2 nights at one of the location. Any strong recommendations?

Day 3
Mt Cook National Park > Hooker Valley Track

Day 4
Lake Tekapo/Pukaki/Ohau to Queenstown via Lindis Pass (stay for 2 nights)

Day 5
Kawarau bridge bungy (for myself :s12:) and to Glenorchy

Day 6
Queenstown to Te Anau (2 nights)

Day 7
Day trip to Milford Sound for cruise

Day 8
Te Anau to Wanaka

Day 9 Wanaka - Haast via Haast Pass

Day 10
Haast to FJG

Day 11
FJG/Fox

Day 12
FJG to Punakaiki

Day 13
Punakaiki to CHC via Arthur's Pass

Day 14
CHC

Day 15
CHC - SG

Thanks so much for any help!!!

sellun

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I am planning a 15 days self drive south island trip this Nov/Dec with my family of 4 (2 kids under 5 years old). Need some feedback/advice from experts here to see if my initial itinerary is feasible!

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8
Te Anau to Wanaka

Day 10
Haast to FJG

Day 11
FJG/Fox

Day 12
FJG to Punakaiki

Day 13

Day 14
CHC

Day 15
CHC - SG

Your plan looks good! Nov/Dec is peak period do book your things (especially good accommodation) ASAP.
Heard from the local the sun can be quite strong, do bring a good sunscreen for your kids.

Sent from MiMax using GAGT

Satki General

Reaction score

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8
Te Anau to Wanaka

Day 10
Haast to FJG

Day 11
FJG/Fox

Day 12
FJG to Punakaiki

Day 13

Day 14
CHC

Day 15
CHC - SG

For a south island round trip, from Trip adivsor forum typically they suggest you to do an anti-clockwise loop. i.e. CHC > Puna > FJG > Wana/QTN/ Te Anau > Mt Cook > CHC as you get to see the "nice view" in front of you

sihevai

Reaction score
Your plan looks good! Nov/Dec is peak period do book your things (especially good accommodation) ASAP.
Heard from the local the sun can be quite strong, do bring a good sunscreen for your kids.

For a south island round trip, from Trip adivsor forum typically they suggest you to do an anti-clockwise loop. i.e. CHC > Puna > FJG > Wana/QTN/ Te Anau > Mt Cook > CHC as you get to see the "nice view" in front of you

Will seriously consider this. Thank you!!!

I hope this itinerary will not be too tiring as this is my first time bringing 2 kids together, so I'm basically skipping the whole southern & northern coast... :(

And am I missing any major scenic drives?

BlurKillerEX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Sent from MiMax using GAGT

Sun was strong even during march, definitely need sunscreen otherwise become chaotar like I did... I only applied on my face but my arms got roasted

Satki General

Reaction score
Will seriously consider this. Thank you!!!

I hope this itinerary will not be too tiring as this is my first time bringing 2 kids together, so I'm basically skipping the whole southern & northern coast... :(

And am I missing any major scenic drives?

Location wise I think for 16 days that's pretty much it espcially with (very young?)kids who cannot sit still in a car for too long. For CHC, maybe you can consider going down to Akoroa but Dec period is peak with many cruise ship disembarking and somewhat heavier traffic.

To add the southern and northern coast, you will probably need another 2 days for each location and potentially more for northern coast due to earthquake damages to the road system.

You can consider budgetting how many days in each location and prioritizing what you want to do (more kids friendly or walks or adventure etc) based on your 16 days e.g. Your initial itinerary seems to have a 2.5 days in FJG (which is more adventure or walks, whether are they suitable for your child?)

Do take note of sandflies also, especially in Te Anau! :s13:

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score

If you have not booked flights - do it NOW. I booked mine in mid-may and it was $2230 in Economy and it was the cheapest flight available on SQ's SIN-CHC.

sihevai

Reaction score
If you have not booked flights - do it NOW. I booked mine in mid-may and it was $2230 in Economy and it was the cheapest flight available on SQ's SIN-CHC.

!!! the last I checked they are going for around 4k for 2 adults + 1 child + 1 infant

Sun was strong even during march, definitely need sunscreen otherwise become chaotar like I did... I only applied on my face but my arms got roasted

Ok will definitely bring along sun screen! Thanks!!!!

Location wise I think for 16 days that's pretty much it espcially with (very young?)kids who cannot sit still in a car for too long. For CHC, maybe you can consider going down to Akoroa but Dec period is peak with many cruise ship disembarking and somewhat heavier traffic.

To add the southern and northern coast, you will probably need another 2 days for each location and potentially more for northern coast due to earthquake damages to the road system.

You can consider budgetting how many days in each location and prioritizing what you want to do (more kids friendly or walks or adventure etc) based on your 16 days e.g. Your initial itinerary seems to have a 2.5 days in FJG (which is more adventure or walks, whether are they suitable for your child?)

Do take note of sandflies also, especially in Te Anau! :s13:

Planning to do it in Mid Nov, so I guess peak season only just started?
Initial plan for FJG was 1 day for helicopter tour (can't do helihike due to min age requirements for kids) and then just chill around. Maybe go to Lake Matherson? If not will add another night in Lake Tekapo/Pukaki/Ohau to visit the different lakes? If there's enough time I can also consider doing a day trip from CHC to Kaikoura for whale watching if the area is still accessible..

Is the sandfly problem very bad in Mid Nov?

keigo22

Reaction score

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8
Te Anau to Wanaka

Day 10
Haast to FJG

Day 11
FJG/Fox

Day 12
FJG to Punakaiki

Day 13

Day 14
CHC

Day 15
CHC - SG

Hi I’m a kiwi and NZ is my 2nd home other then SG. Also avoid mid Dec cause it will be summer holiday and the whole south island will be crowded.

Also go during end Nov to early Dec will be see lupin.

Nov/Dec can be still cold for kids so bring jacket (wind and rain proof type). You need sun block cause if you got sun burn in NZ, pray hard you don’t get skin cancer.

O why I say must have jacket cause if luck with you, you will encounter southerlies which summer snow.

Day 1
- Westfield Riccarton
- Kathmandu for jacket if you need
- PAK'nSAVE to store some food to eat along the way
- The warehouse
- Cookie Time Factory

Day 2
CHC via Arthur's Pass to Franz Josef and Fox Glacier
- At Arthur’s Pass
o Castle Hill
o Lake Lyndon
o Arthur's Pass Visitor Center for lunch
(stay 2 night if you going for Glacier but not sure how you going to settle your kids)

Day 4
Franz Josef and Fox Glacier via Haast Pass via Lake Hawea to Lake Wanaka
- Puzzling World
Stay 1 night can already

Day 5
Lake Wanaka via Cardrona Valley Rd via Crown Range Rd via Arrowtown (for lunch) to Queenstown
- Kawarau bridge bungy
- Gondola
- Cookie Time
- Flame Bar & Grill
- Fergburger
- Botswana Butchery
- During stay at Queenstown just drive to Glenorchy (1 hr slow drive, make sure to stop along the way to take photo)
o Go for Glenorchy Lagoon walkway
Recommend to stay at least 3 night in queenstown

Day 8
Since want to go Te Anau then make sure go see Glow worm else no point going cause you can go for Milford Sound cruise direct from Queenstown and back. But it will be complete dark so depend on your kids can take it or not. (Note noise and total darkness in Glow Worm cave)
- Glow worm
- Milford Sound for cruise
Stay 2 night

Day 10
Te Anau to Dunedin
- First Church of Otago
- Dunedin Railway Station (If on Saturday will have farmer market beside it)
- Scotia Bar and Bistro
- Etrusco Italian
- Signal Hill Lookout
- Larnach Castle
- Sandyfly Bay
- Royal Albatross Centre
- Go for the Elm Wildlife Tours you will love it one
Stay 2 nights

Day 12
Dunedin go to Mount Cook Village
- Along the at stop at High Country Salmon
- Lake Pukaki Information Centre
- At Mt Cook Village
o Aoraki Mt Cook National Park Visitor Centre
o Kea Point
o Hooker Valley track
o Tasman Glacier
Stay 2 night

Day 14
Lake Tekapo (Depend on the above are like I say if you have kids Franz Josef and Fox Glacier no point going since you can do anything with kids around. So give it a miss and you will be able to fit in Lake Tekapo
- Astro Café at Mount John
- Church of the Good Shepherd
Stay 1 night is enough

Back to CHC and back home.

Last edited:

keigo22

Reaction score
!!! the last I checked they are going for around 4k for 2 adults + 1 child + 1 infant

Ok will definitely bring along sun screen! Thanks!!!!

Planning to do it in Mid Nov, so I guess peak season only just started?
Initial plan for FJG was 1 day for helicopter tour (can't do helihike due to min age requirements for kids) and then just chill around. Maybe go to Lake Matherson? If not will add another night in Lake Tekapo/Pukaki/Ohau to visit the different lakes? If there's enough time I can also consider doing a day trip from CHC to Kaikoura for whale watching if the area is still accessible..

Is the sandfly problem very bad in Mid Nov?

Sandfly problem normally will be at Nelson. Forget about Kaikoura whale watching, not worth it.

keigo22

Reaction score
On SQ SIN-CHC non-stop? Book these now unless you want to pay double month later.

Yes SQ is non-stop flight else Air NZ but I will say avoid Air NZ cause it more for local.

Reason SQ is night from SG to morning reach NZ. While Air NZ is morning from SG and reach NZ at night.

So it more suitable for local to get out of NZ for holiday then for tourist to come NZ.

sihevai

Reaction score
Hi I’m a kiwi and NZ is my 2nd home other then SG. Also avoid mid Dec cause it will be summer holiday and the whole south island will be crowded.

Also go during end Nov to early Dec will be see lupin.

Nov/Dec can be still cold for kids so bring jacket (wind and rain proof type). You need sun block cause if you got sun burn in NZ, pray hard you don’t get skin cancer.

O why I say must have jacket cause if luck with you, you will encounter southerlies which summer snow.

Day 1
- Westfield Riccarton
- Kathmandu for jacket if you need
- PAK'nSAVE to store some food to eat along the way
- The warehouse
- Cookie Time Factory

Day 2
CHC via Arthur's Pass to Franz Josef and Fox Glacier
- At Arthur’s Pass
o Castle Hill
o Lake Lyndon
o Arthur's Pass Visitor Center for lunch
(stay 2 night if you going for Glacier but not sure how you going to settle your kids)

Day 4
Franz Josef and Fox Glacier via Haast Pass via Lake Hawea to Lake Wanaka
- Puzzling World
Stay 1 night can already

Day 5
Lake Wanaka via Cardrona Valley Rd via Crown Range Rd via Arrowtown (for lunch) to Queenstown
- Kawarau bridge bungy
- Gondola
- Cookie Time
- Flame Bar & Grill
- Fergburger
- Botswana Butchery
- During stay at Queenstown just drive to Glenorchy (1 hr slow drive, make sure to stop along the way to take photo)
o Go for Glenorchy Lagoon walkway
Recommend to stay at least 3 night in queenstown

Day 8
Since want to go Te Anau then make sure go see Glow worm else no point going cause you can go for Milford Sound cruise direct from Queenstown and back. But it will be complete dark so depend on your kids can take it or not. (Note noise and total darkness in Glow Worm cave)
- Glow worm
- Milford Sound for cruise
Stay 2 night

Day 10
Te Anau to Dunedin
- First Church of Otago
- Dunedin Railway Station (If on Saturday will have farmer market beside it)
- Scotia Bar and Bistro
- Etrusco Italian
- Signal Hill Lookout
- Larnach Castle
- Sandyfly Bay
- Royal Albatross Centre
- Go for the Elm Wildlife Tours you will love it one
Stay 2 nights

Day 12
Dunedin go to Mount Cook Village
- Along the at stop at High Country Salmon
- Lake Pukaki Information Centre
- At Mt Cook Village
o Aoraki Mt Cook National Park Visitor Centre
o Kea Point
o Hooker Valley track
o Tasman Glacier
Stay 2 night

Day 14
Lake Tekapo (Depend on the above are like I say if you have kids Franz Josef and Fox Glacier no point going since you can do anything with kids around. So give it a miss and you will be able to fit in Lake Tekapo
- Astro Café at Mount John
- Church of the Good Shepherd
Stay 1 night is enough

Back to CHC and back home.

Sandfly problem normally will be at Nelson. Forget about Kaikoura whale watching, not worth it.

Wow will take a look at this and rethink my FJG portion and ignore Kaikoura. Appreciate your kind advice!

On SQ SIN-CHC non-stop? Book these now unless you want to pay double month later.

Yes SQ non-stop.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.