Electric fan discussions - kdk and other brands

zened88

Reaction score
printing this for my dad, thanks for the tips!

After servicing numerous fans for many forumers here, realised something in common with almost every fan brought to me which is the lack of cleaning/maintenance or utilising an incorrect technique to clean the fans.

1. Cleaning the grille and blade isn't enough, as shown in the photo below, a lot of dust and debris get stuck inside the motor housing causing problems, one being that the motor may become sluggish and the other being that dust blocks the vents at the back of the cover which are meant for air to circulate and cool down the motor. Blocked vent holes means heat is unable to escape and may trip the thermal fuse causing the fan to simply stop spinning. Simple solution is to use a screwdriver to open up and clean off the inside once or twice a year. Some say they don't know how to do it as the oscillating knob is blocking, on kdk and Panasonic fans the oscillating knob is not held down by any screws, just pull with force upwards and it will come out.

2. Using excessive amounts of water in cleaning. Personally i don't recommend washing fans. But if you must do it make sure to let everything dry before assembling back. People put wet blades onto the shaft and causes it to rust, even worse that water will drip into the bearings causing it to rust and make noise. A number of people have perfectly working fan but can't use as too noisy due to rusted bearings. Unfortunately once bearing damaged it is irreversible

3. Fans needs oiling from time to time. It's a moving mechanism after all and like your cars engine, the bearings and motor require lubrication at least once every year. Some people leave their fans unlubricated and it becomes so stiff until it can't move and they think it's spoilt. Also always remember there are 2 bearings im every fan, one in th front and at the rear.

segafan

Reaction score
Guys, I got a n00b question. For ceiling fans, from my observation and testing in-stores, the first fan speed is it always very slow? Like must set to speed #2 or #3 then can feel one..? Some models, speed #2 also like not strong. Have see see look look Fanco, Elmark, KDK so far..

Eventually, am eyeing for 2x Relite + 1x Panasonic with LED light (Malaysia) + 1x KDK (Malaysia) for my house.. [low ceiling type].

Many thanks in advance, for sharing your info..

jk6060

Reaction score
I have 2 Relite ceiling fans running for about 18 years, still going strong. Some of the paint from the blades have come off, but overall, still good.

For fan speed, I stick to 1 or 2 mainly which is enough for me, I guess also depends on the space the fan is trying to cover.

I think I will continue with Relite next time still.

Guys, I got a n00b question. For ceiling fans, from my observation and testing in-stores, the first fan speed is it always very slow? Like must set to speed #2 or #3 then can feel one..? Some models, speed #2 also like not strong. Have see see look look Fanco, Elmark, KDK so far..

Eventually, am eyeing for 2x Relite + 1x Panasonic with LED light (Malaysia) + 1x KDK (Malaysia) for my house.. [low ceiling type].

Jmathew1108

Reaction score

Depends on the model of fan, most fans have 3 speeds but some fans have 5,7,9 etc. Speeds increments need to be linear. So the speed 1 of a 9 speed fan will be slower than the speed 1 of a 3 speed.

numan108

Reaction score
Anyone knows how to remove the back cover for KDK ST30 box fan for cleaning purposes TIA.

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
20170426_202428.jpg

20170426_204152.jpg

bro, can you tell us the symptoms when either of these capacitor fail?

for 1 of my fan, I changed the capacitor at the main PCB, but it's still not spinning normally. so I should change the fan motor capacitor, right?

and what kind of oil do you suggest using for oiling the bearing?

Fullcycle

Reaction score
Installation any handyman or electrician can do for you since fans are identical to what's found here. Warranty wise, don't think you should worry too much as kdk fan almost will never fail within the 1 year warranty period. Small risk to take for the big savings.

I believe to install ceiling fan need to balance the fan blades right? I'm looking for someone to install and balance my Malaysian KDK ceiling fan. Any recommendation?

Jmathew1108

Reaction score
20170426_202428.jpg

20170426_204152.jpg

for 1 of my fan, I changed the capacitor at the main PCB, but it's still not spinning normally. so I should change the fan motor capacitor, right?

PCB capacitor failure - fan shut off by itself once turned on or certain buttons pressed.

Motor capacitor failure - fan spinning slowly or struggling to start. Still should be able to hear motor humming or feel vibrations

If the motor is totally silent despite the switches working properly usually its due to blown thermal fuse.

The commonly found singer oil is good enough

Last edited:

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
great piece of Info* for diagnostic purpose!

PCB capacitor failure - fan shut off by itself once turned on or certain buttons pressed.

Motor capacitor failure - fan spinning slowly or struggling to start. Still should be able to hear motor humming or feel vibrations

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
20170426_202428.jpg

20170426_204152.jpg

Usually is the one at fan motor (black color one in your picture).

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

bros, do you know where I can get this 105J 400v capacitor?

I went to space electronics and they don't have it. they have 105k, which they said it likely not suitable.

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If the motor is totally silent despite the switches working properly usually its due to blown thermal fuse.

The commonly found singer oil is good enough
Do you have any photos showing where exactly to apply the singer oil?

Jmathew1108

Reaction score
bros, do you know where I can get this 105J 400v capacitor?

I went to space electronics and they don't have it. they have 105k, which they said it likely not suitable.

Online, places like ebay and Ali express have. Will have to wait for a while for it to arrive though.

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

hopefully it's the motor capacitor.

just bought 2 from sim lim.

edit: sheesh it didn't work. guess I need to order the pcb capacitor.

Online, places like ebay and Ali express have. Will have to wait for a while for it to arrive though.

Last edited:

Jmathew1108

Reaction score
Thanks!

hopefully it's the motor capacitor.

just bought 2 from sim lim.

edit: sheesh it didn't work. guess I need to order the pcb capacitor.

If the switches are working fine but motor is totally silent and not spinning, it's due to a blown thermal fuse. Nothing to do with capacitors.

Same way if the switche PCB totally have no power it's probably due to a shorted diode.

Must be absolutely sure what is the symptom before proceeding, capacitor is not always the culprit and simply changing it out might not solve the issue.

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok. my fan is spinning very slowly. and on certain speed, the fan totally stopped. what ccould he the root of the problem?

If the switches are working fine but motor is totally silent and not spinning, it's due to a blown thermal fuse. Nothing to do with capacitors.

Same way if the switche PCB totally have no power it's probably due to a shorted diode.

Must be absolutely sure what is the symptom before proceeding, capacitor is not always the culprit and simply changing it out might not solve the issue.

Jmathew1108

Reaction score
ok. my fan is spinning very slowly. and on certain speed, the fan totally stopped. what ccould he the root of the problem?

First you check if the shafts is seized up. Spin the blade with your hands, if alot of resistance is felt means it's probably jammed up. Apply oil and wd40 on both front and rear bearing till the shafts spins freely. Then power on and try

If shaft is not seized up, then it's due to the motor capacitor.

If both of these don't fix it then you probably have a bad motor which means it's best to throw out the fan.

eyz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Roger. the fan motor does spin, though at a slower speed. when I rotate the shaft, it does feel having a little resistance, as compared to my other fan.

I just changed the motor capacitor, however it's still the same. I guess I'll try to oil the shaft and see how it goes.

thanks bro!

First you check if the shafts is seized up. Spin the blade with your hands, if alot of resistance is felt means it's probably jammed up. Apply oil and wd40 on both front and rear bearing till the shafts spins freely. Then power on and try

If shaft is not seized up, then it's due to the motor capacitor.

If both of these don't fix it then you probably have a bad motor which means it's best to throw out the fan.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.