The Football Boots Thread!

dazehead

Reaction score
AG vs Turf

Hi all,

I regularly play in 5-a-side pitches eg Kovan Sports Centre.

I have been using my indoor court (IC) boots, and when I switch back to FG, start to feel pain. The grass at Kovan is not that long.

Was thinking of getting a TF (turf) boots for more grip and responsiveness. But started to read about AG boots now. Wonder if anyone had experience and opinions about TF vs AG when it comes to the futsal pitches around Singapore, particularly like Kovan, Balestier, Mattar Road, etc.

Thanks.

mokermania

Reaction score
Hi all,

I regularly play in 5-a-side pitches eg Kovan Sports Centre.

I have been using my indoor court (IC) boots, and when I switch back to FG, start to feel pain. The grass at Kovan is not that long.

Was thinking of getting a TF (turf) boots for more grip and responsiveness. But started to read about AG boots now. Wonder if anyone had experience and opinions about TF vs AG when it comes to the futsal pitches around Singapore, particularly like Kovan, Balestier, Mattar Road, etc.

Thanks.

Hi Dazehead.

Which part of your legs are painful after wearing the FG boots?

May I ask the studs of your FG boots are blade type or conical type?
Cos i read blade type bad for our knees.

I own a pair of AG boots as well as FG conical studs boots.
So far so good for me as I am on the heavy side.(I play on AG pitch weekly)

I guess the AG studs type are similar to the conical studs therefore able provide good traction and support.

I am not sure about Turf type of boots as I have not try the before.

Hope these helps 😊

Regards,
Gary Mok

Last edited:

Meowtiko

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys

looking for some cheap <$100 artificial grass boots recommendations..

planning to look around on internet before going down weston to buy..

not looking for any specific brands

EDIT: I just saw the above posts.. are there any other models other than the nike tiempo legend and bomba finale 2?

Last edited:

mokermania

Reaction score
hi guys

looking for some cheap <$100 artificial grass boots recommendations..

planning to look around on internet before going down weston to buy..

not looking for any specific brands

EDIT: I just saw the above posts.. are there any other models other than the nike tiempo legend and bomba finale 2?

Hi Mr. Meowtiko,

Just wanna share this link.
http://www.5-a-side.com/reviews/the-5-a-side-football-boots-guide/

Do note that I have a friend who owns turf boots (Studs are like those mid range/oil typhoon type for astroturf ) and I saw him slipped (Not raining days) on artificial grass.....

Ans also please note that "The golden rule is: don’t wear blades or full studs on artificial grass"

Hope it help and happy shopping.

Regards,
Gary

Last edited:

Meowtiko

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Mr. Meowtiko,

Just wanna share this link.
http://www.5-a-side.com/reviews/the-5-a-side-football-boots-guide/

Do note that I have a friend who owns turf boots (Studs are like those mid range/oil typhoon type for astroturf ) and I saw him slipped (Not raining days) on artificial grass.....

Ans also please note that "The golden rule is: don’t wear blades or full studs on artificial grass"

Hope it help and happy shopping.

Regards,
Gary

Hello, i have read that article already.. planning to get AG boots, just not sure of which models are nice..

Thank you!

Sent from no money no honey nobody lurb me using GAGT

mokermania

Reaction score
Like that ......
Best you take a look at Weston le.
They might have new models from different brands to see.
Like what my wife always says must look at the actual real thing.
Internet pictures not accurate :)

Regards,
Gary

PCI_Slot

Reaction score
Want to get a boot soon for futsal on AG. Any place to reccomend that has a good selection? I'm really new here so I dont really know what I want and it would be great if that place has a huge range so that I can try them out.

And last but not least.... my size is a lil bit on the big side :o I usually wear a US 11 or 12. Buying footwear is always a bad experience for me haha.

Looks like Weston is a good place to start. Which outlet do you guys recommend?

mokermania

Reaction score
Hi,

I will normally go to the Weston Branch at Peninsula.
The one at Stadium not bad too.
See which of them is nearer for you.

Happy CNY everyone!!!

ceemie

Reaction score
anyone got lobang for trade in of old soccer boots?
please pm me

BOOTHYPE

Reaction score
Want to get a boot soon for futsal on AG. Any place to reccomend that has a good selection? I'm really new here so I dont really know what I want and it would be great if that place has a huge range so that I can try them out.

And last but not least.... my size is a lil bit on the big side :o I usually wear a US 11 or 12. Buying footwear is always a bad experience for me haha.

Try to refrain from buying FG boots for AG. Although they look similar, FG studs are usually a bit longer than pure AG studs. The trouble with long studs on AG is that there is a higher chance of them sticking into the rubber base of the AG pitch. ACL injuries and sprain can occur when you run with your foot still planted in the ground. I've seen this happen to friends who use FG boots on AG pitches though majority of people still use FG.

Adidas and Puma boots have an FG/AG configuration for their boots though they're still a bit more FG skewed. You can buy them at Weston. To be extremely safe, Nike sells pure AG configuration. They sell them on prodirectsoccer.com (Weston doesn't carry them) and they're the cheapest price I know worldwide (even after shipping fees) as we get a 16% rebate from VAT.

Most importantly, you need to know how your body feels in the boot when you play. I wrote a comprehensive article on my site (boothype.com) about choosing the right boots for AG grounds.

Hope it helps!

kaixin18

Reaction score

Hi,

I will normally go to the Weston Branch at Peninsula.
The one at Stadium not bad too.
See which of them is nearer for you.

Happy CNY everyone!!!

Good for street soccer, horrible for field boots. I think Kronos is purely a street soccer focused brand.

Are they for men?

my bf and his brothers buy their boots from here.

https://www.premier-football.net/

https://www.facebook.com/premierfootballSG/

black_and_white

Reaction score
Sorry. Does anyone knows how do the grading of boots works?

Hi,
The different grades in football boots are to cater to customers with diifferent purchasing power. There are usually 3 to 4 grades of the same "model" and they are usually classed under top-end, middle-range and budget boots.
For example,

in Adidas they have 18+(laceless varient),18.1,18.2,18.3
in Nike they have Elite, Pro, Academy, Club
in Mizuno they have V1,V2,V3

For Adidas and Nike their top end boots are the Elite and the 18+/18.1 and their budget ones are the 18.3 and academy/club respectively.

Lets look at their costs, using Adidas X on the official adidas sg website as the example.
Adidas X 18.1 costs about S$300
Adidas X 18.2 costs about S$200
Adidas X 18.3 costs about S$120

Of course you can get a discount when buying from other shops like Westons. I went to Westons Kallang last friday and I believe their 18.2 was like S$169 or something.

Another point to take note is that these lower end models are referred to as takedown models. They are usually cheaper and made out of a different material than the top-end one. Adidas X 18.1's upper is made up of SpeedMesh while the 18.2 is made up of engineered mesh material. I think you roughly get the idea by now. Lower price = lousier materials. However, they are made to look very similar to their top-end counterpart. So that budget players can feel good about having like the same "model" and look as the pros. As usually takedown models are pretty bad, it is recommended that you go for the top-end models if you have cash to spare and if you are a regular player.

Football studs are also another thing to take note of.
SG - soft ground
FG - firm ground (long triangle/chevron studs)
AG - artificial ground (shorter round conical studs)
Turf - turf ground

Usually we normally go for either FG or AG in singapore. Some boots are in FG and some are in AG. While others have a mix of both called MG (mixed ground). So be sure to check what surface u are playing on before buying.

If u have any other questions u can pm me. I'm pretty new to football and am currently doing some research on which boots to buy. So if I have gotten anything wrong, someone pls correct me.

For your reference : https://www.unisportstore.com/blog/...-club-what-does-the-new-nike-boot-names-mean/

Good luck!

chunchouw

Reaction score
Hi guys, I play quite often at The Ark, Golazo and Tampines Safra pitch. Should I go for AG or Turf type of boots? If AG, Any place I can go to shop for Nike/Adidas AG boots? Or I can only to get from prodirect? I don’t see Weston is carrying AG boots. Thanks!

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.