Back from South island New Zealand

xorionn

Reaction score
I was told that the sounds area rains two out of three days so try your luck. I visited Doubtful on a rainy day and Milford on a sunny one. Each gives a different complexion which is worth experiencing. The only advice I can give is if you are planning to trek along Milford Rd on a rainy day, chances are the niews will be misted out.

Ok is it worth to take the cruise?

TVaddict

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok is it worth to take the cruise?

Personally I feel the cruise is worth to try. We saw dolphins and seals while cruising.

My advice is to go early in the morning before 10 am to avoid the tour groups.

That time I drove from Te Anau. Took around an hour+. Can't remember exactly.. But yeah, nice experience.

Satki General

Reaction score
during winter I would also not recommend you to drive to Milford sound due to avalanches.

A day trip tour will be recommended also.Book via here http://www.realjourneys.co.nz/en/experiences/cruises/milford-sound-nature-cruises/

Go for Milford Sound Nature Cruises instead of another.. you will thanks me for that cause only local will go for this tour instead of Milford Sound Scenic Cruises which will jam pack with tourists.

Have you tried other cruise company like Mitre Peaks? I heard Real tours in general operate bigger boats and thus have more tourist compared to the smaller operators. Also is the waters there relatively calm? Won't get seasick right :s13:

keigo22

Reaction score
Have you tried other cruise company like Mitre Peaks? I heard Real tours in general operate bigger boats and thus have more tourist compared to the smaller operators. Also is the waters there relatively calm? Won't get seasick right :s13:

you just need to go for the tour I pointed will do, small company also got other side of worries.

MaGixT

Reaction score
Anyone has accommodation to share at Queenstown for a family of 4? Tried airbnb, those with rates 250/night rejected me stating that our family is too big, etc. Other accommodation on airbnb were damm exp.

desboo

Reaction score
Anyone has accommodation to share at Queenstown for a family of 4? Tried airbnb, those with rates 250/night rejected me stating that our family is too big, etc. Other accommodation on airbnb were damm exp.

Check bookabach also website. Bookabach (similar concept to AirBnB) has many options in NZ.

When my family of 7 was in Queenstown, I stayed in a place called St James Apartment booked through Agoda. You can check if they have vacancies for 4. Fantastic location in city centre.

bleach87

Reaction score
I will be staying at Te anau for 1 night, going for glowworm on the same night, then next early morning going to milford sound then to queenstown from there, but im searching for any early cruise at milford sound, the realjourney only have seesion from 9.50am to 4.30pm. Im going around 19-20june, will it be better if i drive to te anau and book cruise from there? And drive to queenstown straight? My initial plan is to leave my car and take coach from te anau to milford then back to te anau and from te anau drive to queenstown

xorionn

Reaction score
I'm at Hokitika, heading towards Christchurch tmr morn, is there anything nice to do in Arthur pass, worth staying there or should I head straight to Christchurch...

Visited Queenstown, Milford S, Wanaka, Fox and Franz Josef glaciers.

TVaddict

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm at Hokitika, heading towards Christchurch tmr morn, is there anything nice to do in Arthur pass, worth staying there or should I head straight to Christchurch...

Visited Queenstown, Milford S, Wanaka, Fox and Franz Josef glaciers.

I remember there is a devil's fall or something at Arthur's pass. Another one is the castle peak where you can see boulders. If I remember correctly it should be near too.

Enjoy..

hawkwind

Master Member
Reaction score
I will be staying at Te anau for 1 night, going for glowworm on the same night, then next early morning going to milford sound then to queenstown from there, but im searching for any early cruise at milford sound, the realjourney only have seesion from 9.50am to 4.30pm. Im going around 19-20june, will it be better if i drive to te anau and book cruise from there? And drive to queenstown straight? My initial plan is to leave my car and take coach from te anau to milford then back to te anau and from te anau drive to queenstown

The general advice is not to drive on the Milford road in winter, especially so for visitors like us unaccustomed to icy roads. Better to do the tour bus.

Satki General

Reaction score

angy

Reaction score
Singaporean couple :(

I recalled a few people here asking about renting campervan and traveling NZ around this timing

hope everyone's safe

Oh no, that is bad news.

I hope people planning to travel to NZ, please take heed of this accident and rest before rushing to the next destination.

keigo22

Reaction score
That's why I always advise people to rest before driving.. Dunno what's the rush, when your life (and that of your companions) are at stake. :(

Sent from ~ using GAGT

at work rush.. go for holiday also want to rush...seriously something wrong.. also don't bring sg bad driver experience oversea... anyhow overtake anyhow turn without signal and fail to stop as stop lane/sign.

Anyway the good news for those in NZ now. Tonite or tomorrow nite you will get to see meteor shower

jimmytango

Reaction score
There isnt much of long road drive in sg, unlike for example in malaysia. Those quiet long highway are more dangerous than the curvy roads

sellun

Reaction score
Exactly. Although some NZ road is straight and empty, people take it for granted. NZ is a beautiful country, I suggest people planning to visit there to take things slowly, just take your time and enjoy the country. No point rushing around to check your bucket list.. so sad to read that news

Sent from MiMax using GAGT

otahkun

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'll be travelling to NZ in a few weeks and would like to know what's the best way to obtain internet there. Sadly the hotels which I'll be staying in do not offer free wifi and currently I'm considering renting a pocket wifi (pocwifi) to share among my family.

sellun

Reaction score
You can get a local SIM at shopping mall or super market. Generally the data there is very expensive afew GB for 40-50bucks. the coverage is also lacking at many more ulu mountainous area.

Alternatively you can rent a pocket WiFi from klook and collect it in SG.

Or you can get 2deg SIM card by changi recommend. Then topup for more data

Sent from MiMax using GAGT

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.