The Hair Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

djoker

Reaction score
The golden rule barber was holding an event called chairty cuts at the ramadan bazaar. The event was stopped by authorities suddenly. Anyone knows what happened?

nichsong

Reaction score
The golden rule barber was holding an event called chairty cuts at the ramadan bazaar. The event was stopped by authorities suddenly. Anyone knows what happened?

I rmb seeing makeshift barbershops too when i visited the bazaar last year. The only explanation I can think of is that there was no license issued by the relevant authorities for TGR to host their event / do their business there haha.

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I rmb seeing makeshift barbershops too when i visited the bazaar last year. The only explanation I can think of is that there was no license issued by the relevant authorities for TGR to host their event / do their business there haha.

A lot of hoo ha at this year's bazaar. Could be a victim of that..

nichsong

Reaction score
Asian Brand / Companies Hair Products

Have actually been thinking about this for quite some time. Asian Hair product companies are known to formulate products that suit our particular hair type and climate. But because of the reach that the big USA / EUR Brands on the market possess, thanks to youtube and social media; their products are now much more popular amongst us as compared to Asian brands But here's the big thing: Many of us, after buying countless amounts of EUR / USA products, find them to not be suitable for our hair type / climate.

Which brings me to the question: What are some of the Asian brands that fellow bros here have tried and found to work well? I think its worth exploring considering that many of these brands' products are marked considerably cheaper than USA / EUR brands. I know many of us have tried Uevo brought in by GX bro. And those who are familiar with leejhong bro's website, we know he does bring in alot of Asian brand products that work well.

For starters I do know shampoo.hk has a huge inventory of Asian hair product brands.. Any bros tried any from there? Haha

nichsong

Reaction score
any recommendation for dry shampoo?

Drugstore brands are pretty good, batiste, klorane etc. But I personally wouldn't recommend it tho.. not for our climate. We accumulate too much grease / oil on our scalp which clog our hair follicles, and sometimes the dry shampoo further contributes to this process. I'd advise sticking to one shampoo per day!

djoker

Reaction score

Yeah probably they no license or the charity not licensed. Idk, oh well...

Since we're on the topic of barbers, noticed a spike in the number of "barbershops" opening the past few years. The market is now quite saturated. I wonder how they survive... noticed that majority of them are opened by youngsters trying to inculcate the "barbershop" culture here.

I go to the realest barber shop (realest in the sense that it's true to our own singapore barber culture, not some hipster wannabe barber culture from dunno where...). Either red panther at upper serangoon or sri dewa at yishun st 22. They the realest and do the job. And less than $10 too.

nichsong

Reaction score
Yeah probably they no license or the charity not licensed. Idk, oh well...

Since we're on the topic of barbers, noticed a spike in the number of "barbershops" opening the past few years. The market is now quite saturated. I wonder how they survive... noticed that majority of them are opened by youngsters trying to inculcate the "barbershop" culture here.

I go to the realest barber shop (realest in the sense that it's true to our own singapore barber culture, not some hipster wannabe barber culture from dunno where...). Either red panther at upper serangoon or sri dewa at yishun st 22. They the realest and do the job. And less than $10 too.

I second you on this bro. Most of these so called "Hipster barbershops" are run by some of the younger barbers who are riding on the current trend of classic cuts - seeking to emulate the experience of English style gentlemen barbershops. I cut my hair at a good, old school barbershop that costs $10 per cut. The head barber is 62 years old. Good, honest haircut.. complete with razor touch ups etc.

Which made me think to myself: What are you really paying for, when you fork out that 30-50+ dollars for the same haircut you could get in any other 10 odd dollar barbershop? Its the experience. The atmosphere.. The drinks.. The sharply dressed barbers.. the premium feel. Anything wrong with that? Nope. There are people who are willing to pay extra for these and that's totally cool.

For me, I don't fall into that category. I want a good, no nonsense haircut at an affordable price. That is all.

djoker

Reaction score
I second you on this bro. Most of these so called "Hipster barbershops" are run by some of the younger barbers who are riding on the current trend of classic cuts - seeking to emulate the experience of English style gentlemen barbershops. I cut my hair at a good, old school barbershop that costs $10 per cut. The head barber is 62 years old. Good, honest haircut.. complete with razor touch ups etc.

Which made me think to myself: What are you really paying for, when you fork out that 30-50+ dollars for the same haircut you could get in any other 10 odd dollar barbershop? Its the experience. The atmosphere.. The drinks.. The sharply dressed barbers.. the premium feel. Anything wrong with that? Nope. There are people who are willing to pay extra for these and that's totally cool.

For me, I don't fall into that category. I want a good, no nonsense haircut at an affordable price. That is all.

Damn right, brother! Where do you cut at? What's the name of the head barber? Maybe i shall pay him a visit soon. Red panther charges $9 but i usually give $10 and ask the uncle to keep the change. This is the real #supportlocal.

nichsong

Reaction score
Damn right, brother! Where do you cut at? What's the name of the head barber? Maybe i shall pay him a visit soon. Red panther charges $9 but i usually give $10 and ask the uncle to keep the change. This is the real #supportlocal.

DMed you bro

SoggyBear

Master Member
Reaction score
Oh, sgpomades brought in First Hand Supply pomade. Heard lots of good stuff about this, gonna grab a bottle and try

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
pomade game still going strong?

hmm. went to see all the white label product.

lol much, all same stuff. no wonder ppl say sg only know to do business and not creative enough to build your own product.

thought 1 size fits all. lol

for me, if i can't do, i rather not do at all. pointless

nichsong

Reaction score
Oh, sgpomades brought in First Hand Supply pomade. Heard lots of good stuff about this, gonna grab a bottle and try

Yes please let us know how it goes bro! Read too much good stuff about it, but so far refraining from getting one myself as I'm trying to cut down on my hair product buying habit abit haha. Way too many jars at home that are not even half used.

nichsong

Reaction score

lol much, all same stuff. no wonder ppl say sg only know to do business and not creative enough to build your own product.

White label cannot make it bro haha. So far only know of 2 local brands that legit brew products themselves. Not gonna directly mention them again for the time being, due to stupid reasons which you are aware of.

But yeah, I would say majority just whack the cheap af MIC ones then rebrand.. All are interested in making money, not interested in delivery quality. For that price I'd rather spend the money and buy Asian salon brand products. Better in terms of quality and performance.

djoker

Reaction score

Yup I'm a pomade person - in actual fact, an unorthodox water based pomade person. Love the restyleability and slickness of UWBs, plus they are not too tough to wash off. Dont mind paying more for premium proper products. Got with me flagship blackship, shear revival crystal lake, nostalgic handmade uwb (normal and super hold), the based pomade (collab between james bui and odouds). Currently waiting for ezbuy shipment from usa for ace high pomade and odouds matte paste (ok this is not an uwb but i really wana try it).

Totally hate gel pomades to the core - makes my hair crunchy and all, yucks.

nichsong

Reaction score
So its been quite awhile since I've properly blow dried to style my hair, and all I used today was By Vilain Sidekick, a tiny pinch of matte finishing product (I feel its redundant in the end, might as well skip) and finished off with a good few blasts of Luxurious extra hold hairspray that I recently got. Performed effing well.

As my hair is fine and straight, I feel that the hold and volume from the hairdryer + Sidekick is enough, just needed to add hairspray to fix it all in place. Adding a clay/wax would run the risk of adding more weight, and hair might fall down later in the day. Unless you use a super lightweight product. As of now the only ones I can think of that will prolly suit this combo well is Uevo Grey / Green, or Indians Molding Clay.

As most folks like us who have fine and straight asian hair.. I find the products that work best are sea salt sprays, volumising powders, super lightweight hair products (like those mentioned above, keeping in mind they are asian brand hair products) and hairspray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.