Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But nimbus is just a typical running shoes... I wore it to shirakawa-go when it was snowing and it totally didn't make it. Had to borrow proper snow shoes from the inn owner. Zero cushioning but it's only for a day so I bear with it. The next few days my knees and soles were in extreme pain tho...

In our defense, the weather wasn't supposed to be erratic when I was monitoring prior to our trip - it usually snowed at night but got bright sun during the day and not snowing... Hence I decided to chance it with my running shoes. Somehow it snowed rather heavily the entire day when we were there. :crazy:

I will be planning Hokkaido trips in the future during their snow festival, hence I'm just wondering if there's any good cushioning all weather shoes that's worth the investment. :(

Waterproof shoes tend to be 'hot' during summer or in SG weather. Maybe you can do research on thick soles cushion that is to be inserted into the shoes.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Waterproof shoes tend to be 'hot' during summer or in SG weather. Maybe you can do research on thick soles cushion that is to be inserted into the shoes.

Yes I know. My intention of getting all weather shoes is not to wear in sg for sure.

I did research on it, and I did buy A LOT of different types of insoles to try on for my northface shoes, but the supposed thick ones actually still weren't thick enough for my comfort. I actually have a pair of insoles, AND I stick thick gel heel cups on top of the insoles in my northface shoes now, and it still wasn't quite enough. Okay to wear to work on dress down days if it's raining, but that's because I don't need to walk that much in office. And even so, my feet will feel very fatigue at the end of the day. :(

Maybe I'll go see a podiatrist at some point to see what other alternatives do I have...

TONGDODO

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning a 2 day trip to Osaka and 3 days to Kyoto.

I will reach Kansai Airport at 10am on the first day.

What Transport Pass should I get that has the most value?

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes I know. My intention of getting all weather shoes is not to wear in sg for sure.

I did research on it, and I did buy A LOT of different types of insoles to try on for my northface shoes, but the supposed thick ones actually still weren't thick enough for my comfort. I actually have a pair of insoles, AND I stick thick gel heel cups on top of the insoles in my northface shoes now, and it still wasn't quite enough. Okay to wear to work on dress down days if it's raining, but that's because I don't need to walk that much in office. And even so, my feet will feel very fatigue at the end of the day. :(

Maybe I'll go see a podiatrist at some point to see what other alternatives do I have...

Use sock that is waterproof/water resistant and excellent for winter lor.

All weather shoes is the one that has gortex material. You need to check whether the shoes' arch support is designed for stability, neutral or motion control.

Asics nimbus: https://runrepeat.com/asics-gel-nimbus-19

Visit Asics shop in Japan and try waterproof shoes there. These shops in Japan offer wider variety shoes than what you would see in SG. Asics does make walking shoes, working shoes, etc.

http://www.asics.com/jp/ja-jp/

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does the anti fatigue really work? Just wonder if anyone wearing it can shed a light on it.

I'm slightly flat footed and my feet have been overworked very badly (I think I walked too much for my own good). I need extremely cushioned shoes to be able to walk comfortably nowadays (eg Asics Nimbus series - nothing else really comes close). I bought a pair of northface all weather goretex outdoor shoes in the hope of wearing it for my trip to Japan last year, but I can't even comfortably walk in it for the whole day on weekends (for short periods like 30min still not so bad), despite buying all sorts of insoles for it. What a waste as Northface shoes are not cheap at all.

This antifatigue feature from Timberland shoes seems interesting, but Timberland isn't cheap either, so I'm hesitant to invest as I'm not sure if it really works...

I walked avg around 20km per day in Japan. I don't feel tired. Might be working.

U should go to their outlet and try for yourself.
Is gortex shoe not boots. Can easily take off when visiting temples.
Also can wear as casual friday shoes.
And does not feel warm.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I walked avg around 20km per day in Japan. I don't feel tired. Might be working.

U should go to their outlet and try for yourself.
Is gortex shoe not boots. Can easily take off when visiting temples.
Also can wear as casual friday shoes.
And does not feel warm.

OK thanks for the FR! Will go try them at their outlet some day. :o

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Use sock that is waterproof/water resistant and excellent for winter lor.

All weather shoes is the one that has gortex material. You need to check whether the shoes' arch support is designed for stability, neutral or motion control.

Asics nimbus: https://runrepeat.com/asics-gel-nimbus-19

Visit Asics shop in Japan and try waterproof shoes there. These shops in Japan offer wider variety shoes than what you would see in SG. Asics does make walking shoes, working shoes, etc.

http://www.asics.com/jp/ja-jp/

Thanks! Hadn't realise Asics Japan may have more variety / waterproof shoes. :eek: will go check them out for sure during my next Japan trip since the planned hokkaido trip is still a few years away.

civicguy

Banned
Reaction score
Hi. I have been to Hakone once for a day trip.

This coming trip I have 7 days in Tokyo. Thinking of spending one night outside of Tokyo where my wife can have onsen.

Any recommendations ? Or should I just go back to Hankone.

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have been to Hakone once for a day trip.

This coming trip I have 7 days in Tokyo. Thinking of spending one night outside of Tokyo where my wife can have onsen.

Any recommendations ? Or should I just go back to Hankone.
how about Nagano?

Din0saurus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Hadn't realise Asics Japan may have more variety / waterproof shoes. :eek: will go check them out for sure during my next Japan trip since the planned hokkaido trip is still a few years away.

You're probably looking for gtx trail running shoes assuming the snow isn't too deep. Great traction and cushioning but bad lateral stability in general.

Proper mountaineering boots are great for really gnarly conditions but aren't nearly as well cushioned.

onenightfighttwo

Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning for a trip to Japan with 2 kids in Dec. First time there, not yet plan itinerary. It will be a 12-14days trip. Taking cost into consideration, should I plan to go and return from Tokyo, or should I land on Tokyo and return from somewhere else?

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning for a trip to Japan with 2 kids in Dec. First time there, not yet plan itinerary. It will be a 12-14days trip. Taking cost into consideration, should I plan to go and return from Tokyo, or should I land on Tokyo and return from somewhere else?

It really kind of depend on which cities are you interested to visit in that 2 weeks.

onenightfighttwo

Reaction score
It really kind of depend on which cities are you interested to visit in that 2 weeks.

Is 12-14 days just nice for a trip from Tokyo slowly down to Osaka? If that's the way I'm going, should I fly back from Tokyo as well? Or it will be more then enough day to even go further down?

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Is 12-14 days just nice for a trip from Tokyo slowly down to Osaka? If that's the way I'm going, should I fly back from Tokyo as well? Or it will be more then enough day to even go further down?

I would suggest that you land in Tokyo and fly back to SG from Osaka. 7 days in Tokyo ( a day or two in between at Mt fuji area) and 7 days at osaka (can go for a few Kyoto day trips) seems to be just fine for a family holiday as long as you don't squeeze too many attractions into the days.

Edit: if there's nothing much for you and your family at Kyoto (if they are not fans of temples and castles and scenery) and Osaka (apart from USJ), you can also base yourself in Osaka and take day trips to Nara and/or Kobe.

Last edited:

onenightfighttwo

Reaction score
I would suggest that you land in Tokyo and fly back to SG from Osaka. 7 days in Tokyo ( a day or two in between at Mt fuji area) and 7 days at osaka (can go for a few Kyoto day trips) seems to be just fine for a family holiday as long as you don't squeeze too many attractions into the days.

Great, thanks alot. :)
I plan to go relax, so I assume this enough for 2 days in Disneyland/sea
Some kids attractions, some scenery, visiting some cultural place. Ect..

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Great, thanks alot. :)
I plan to go relax, so I assume this enough for 2 days in Disneyland/sea
Some kids attractions, some scenery, visiting some cultural place. Ect..

Yup it should be enough. Of course you can't cover everything that you might be interested in, but it'll be a good start as your first Japan trip.

Reaction score
Possible to fly back from Tokyo if u buy tickets from ANA or JAL. Cheaper compared to SIA which flight direct from KIX.

Sent from 穷挫矮胖永独 using GAGT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.