Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dungeonalley

Reaction score
Any bros got experience staying at first cabin newly opened KIX branch? Or any first cabin branch. Can check if they got private shower or all public shower area?

ash like snow

Master Member
Reaction score
Confirm plus chop :)

7D Hokkaido JR pass is JPY 24,000 each or JPY 96,000 for 4.

Actual car rental, Honda Freed, over 8 Days :
Rental JPY 52,400 (includes JPY 16,000 for optional insurance)
Toll JPY 2,400
Petrol JPY 19,800 (1,800 km covered)
Parking JPY 3,000
TOTAL = JPY 77,600

Self-drive is direct point-to-point while JR Pass will need to incur other transportation cost (eg subway, bus) to get to places eg) touring Furano.

The in-car GPS has a function to search for nearby Petrol Stations.
Besides Petrol Stations r as common as Convenience Stores.

GPS is very accurate.
Only within city, sometimes may miss a turn bcos the distances are very close.
Usual cockup is bcos I dont listen to GPS =)

thanks so much for the info!
im a newbie in terms of knowledge of cars, but im currently looking at toyota-rent-a-car website and there's many cars to choose from.

which will be the best option for 4 ppl to drive during spring period (may)?
will this be a good choice? any better cars to intro?
how long before ETD can we book it?

https://www.toyotarentacar.net/english/lineup/wagon/w1_02/

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

This thread has some useful info
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/japan-271/hokkaido-car-rental-5591963.html

U can start noting the prices now.
Then check again 6mths ahead & book if something is within budget.
Check again 3.5 months prior (hope for those 90 days early bird promo)
Look out for discount coupons from Rakuten JP & Jalan.net - there r always new ones
You can always book, then rebook again & cancel without penalty (up to 7days prior) if a better deals comes up.
Booking from these online Japanese sites will be cheaper than booking direct with Toyota, Times etc.

For 4pax, I think the Honda Freed is ideal. It sits high, so more comfy for driver & passengers. Enuf space for luggages.

Wish shld be fine too but think will cost more than Freed.

PS So u think u can convince mum to let Bro self-drive in the next 11 months ?

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks so much for the info!
im a newbie in terms of knowledge of cars, but im currently looking at toyota-rent-a-car website and there's many cars to choose from.

For 4 person u probably need those 7-seaters such as Mazda 5 coz of luggage. Mazda 5 with last row down just enuf to put 4x 24" luggage

ash like snow

Master Member
Reaction score
This thread has some useful info
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/japan-271/hokkaido-car-rental-5591963.html

U can start noting the prices now.
Then check again 6mths ahead & book if something is within budget.
Check again 3.5 months prior (hope for those 90 days early bird promo)
Look out for discount coupons from Rakuten JP & Jalan.net - there r always new ones
You can always book, then rebook again & cancel without penalty (up to 7days prior) if a better deals comes up.
Booking from these online Japanese sites will be cheaper than booking direct with Toyota, Times etc.

For 4pax, I think the Honda Freed is ideal. It sits high, so more comfy for driver & passengers. Enuf space for luggages.

Wish shld be fine too but think will cost more than Freed.

PS So u think u can convince mum to let Bro self-drive in the next 11 months ?

is there any difference in toyota rentacar/honda's? or its just depends which one you like?
for Rakuten JP & Jalan.net we need to create a acc too right?

my mum seems ok now :s13: but another thing is during spring time, sky only turns dark ard 730pm right? i read one of the brochure and they said btr to avoid driving at night as it tends to get lost easily/get into accident?

ash like snow

Master Member
Reaction score
For 4 person u probably need those 7-seaters such as Mazda 5 coz of luggage. Mazda 5 with last row down just enuf to put 4x 24" luggage

yeah im looking at 7-8 seaters' cars too! but i counted.. we estimated will have one 32", 3 28" and 2 24" lugg... :s22: will there still be enough space for that?

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes, Rakuten JP & Jalan.net need to enrol as member b4 booking.

the 4 of u have 6 luggages ?

Enough space in Freed for our luggages & bags:
qKq1N7B.jpg

I suggest u keep to 1 x 24" or 26" luggage each & bring soft bags.

For places where we stayed 1 night, we pack what's needed into the soft bags & check-in to hotel with these. The heavy luggages are left in the car, no need to haul up & down.

I find Toyota more expensive than Honda or Mazda, else I believe they are equally good & reputable.

Last trip, we did drive a bit at night for the first time. It's not that bad.

My biggest issue is bcos most roads r single lane each way without divider, the oncoming headlight can be blinding ... something we dont experience much in SG bcos our roads are usually separated by wide dividers.

Also our wipers were not effective in clearing the windscreen of rain. At night, with rain & oncoming headlights made it more challenging. Pour water & test when collecting car.

Last edited:

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is there any difference in toyota rentacar/honda's? or its just depends which one you like?
for Rakuten JP & Jalan.net we need to create a acc too right?

my mum seems ok now :s13: but another thing is during spring time, sky only turns dark ard 730pm right? i read one of the brochure and they said btr to avoid driving at night as it tends to get lost easily/get into accident?

use this website to check sunrise and sunset timing.
https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/japan/tokyo
the sunset timing is the time the sun crosses the horizon... so it will start getting dark ard half hour before tt.

i try to avoid driving at night coz outside of cities there are no street lights. the few times i had to drive at night was coz i wanted to catch sunset at some place. and also once when i had to do a huge detour due to road closure, which took me an extra 2-3hrs of driving

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yeah im looking at 7-8 seaters' cars too! but i counted.. we estimated will have one 32", 3 28" and 2 24" lugg... :s22: will there still be enough space for that?

how come need so many luggage for 4 person? :eek:

i doubt u can squeeze more than 4 luggages. extra soft bags like wat oceanicmanta mentioned is still ok.

that time when i had 4 person, i went to measure my fren's mazda5 to see how much luggage we can have. then i told all of them before the trip that we can only bring one 24" luggage each.

ash like snow

Master Member
Reaction score
yes, Rakuten JP & Jalan.net need to enrol as member b4 booking.

the 4 of u have 6 luggages ?

Enough space in Freed for our luggages & bags:
qKq1N7B.jpg

I suggest u keep to 1 x 24" or 26" luggage each & bring soft bags.

For places where we stayed 1 night, we pack what's needed into the soft bags & check-in to hotel with these. The heavy luggages are left in the car, no need to haul up & down.

I find Toyota more expensive than Honda or Mazda, else I believe they are equally good & reputable.

Last trip, we did drive a bit at night for the first time. It's not that bad.

My biggest issue is bcos most roads r single lane each way without divider, the oncoming headlight can be blinding ... something we dont experience much in SG bcos our roads are usually separated by wide dividers.

Also our wipers were not effective in clearing the windscreen of rain. At night, with rain & oncoming headlights made it more challenging. Pour water & test when collecting car.

our number of luggage are similar to yours but ours way bigger in size :vijayadmin:

i think right now i've to ssrr different cars to see which one best suitable for my luggage :s13:

ash like snow

Master Member
Reaction score
use this website to check sunrise and sunset timing.
https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/japan/tokyo
the sunset timing is the time the sun crosses the horizon... so it will start getting dark ard half hour before tt.

i try to avoid driving at night coz outside of cities there are no street lights. the few times i had to drive at night was coz i wanted to catch sunset at some place. and also once when i had to do a huge detour due to road closure, which took me an extra 2-3hrs of driving

will there be many cars in sapporo compared to singapore? yea 1 thing im scared is also when the gps suddenly cockup and lead us to the wrong exit even if during day time. then will be wasting time driving :s22:

for parking in restaurants or at tourist attractions, do we need to buy coupons like in sg? if yes, buy from?

ash like snow

Master Member
Reaction score

i doubt u can squeeze more than 4 luggages. extra soft bags like wat oceanicmanta mentioned is still ok.

that time when i had 4 person, i went to measure my fren's mazda5 to see how much luggage we can have. then i told all of them before the trip that we can only bring one 24" luggage each.

cause we going korea after japan.. prepare some space in adv for shopping spree there :vijayadmin:

i thought its normal? 1 person 1 checked lugg+1 cabin bag. :s11:

personA: 32" + 24"
personB: 28"
personC: 28" + soft bag
personD: 28" + 24"

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I had three bags for as a solo traveller...

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
cause we going korea after japan.. prepare some space in adv for shopping spree there :vijayadmin:

For food stuffs etc, can just use a carton. Bring a small foldable trolley(those that IT shows frequently give away).

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

for my first trip using Mazda 2, I keep trying to look into Mazda2 in SG to check boot space. Also told other fren not to bring her 32" bag that she was used to. :s13:

hand carry cabin-bag shld be 19-20" excluding wheel height ??

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello folks, wanna ask if 1hr+ sufficient to transit within haneda? I seeing domestic to international mentioned no need collect luggage on ana
https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/sg/e/asw_common/serviceinfo/information/checkin.html

But under haneda website need wor
http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/en/dept/dms_int.html

Sent from 穷挫矮胖永独 using GAGT

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Fwah... Tt is definitely not normal.
Normal cabin bag is at most 20".
Airline may not even allow u to bring into cabin if it is 24", and if ur airline rule is strictly one luggage, u will have to pay for extra luggage.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
will there be many cars in sapporo compared to singapore? yea 1 thing im scared is also when the gps suddenly cockup and lead us to the wrong exit even if during day time. then will be wasting time driving :s22:

for parking in restaurants or at tourist attractions, do we need to buy coupons like in sg? if yes, buy from?
Not as many cars, except for city area.
Gps wun cockup one. But sometimes there are road closure and gps will not have tt info. That becomes a problem if u are in mountainous area and there are no alternatives routes, which is wat happened to me.
Good thing i brought a paper map and i used tt to find our way. Had to skirt around an entire mountain, detoured for 80+km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.