Lastest S$ Deposit updates - Part 3

K202020K

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone sign up for this? seem good?
Better will come. With US interest rates moving higher in Dec.

$15,000 limit is for them to have access to investor's personal data & profile.
Then, patiently sell him other products over the next decade or two lah..

jnashville

Banned
Reaction score

Currently have funds parking under cimb fastsaver and cimb starsaver. Should wait till year end to put in fd or the likes of fwd?

raysdad

Reaction score

For "low risk"funds, Currently FDs I'm in...

a) BOC at 1.3% since Apr (6+6)
b) BOC at 1.9% since 2015 (3Y)
c) BOC at 3% (special rate for 6 months)
d) FDs in RMB at 4.5%
e) FDs in MYR at 3-4% (holding some ringitt due to rental income and personal plan)
f) GE205 at 2.05% (treating it like a 3Y FD)

While waiting for potential US interest rate adjustment, remaining funds:
g) Maximising SSB (currently at 1.3% onwards)
h) the rest in RHB premier at 1.28%

K202020K

Master Member
Reaction score

d) FDs in RMB at 4.5%
e) FDs in MYR at 3-4% (holding some ringitt due to rental income and personal plan)

Thanks for sharing.
Seems like not bad at all, especially in this low interest rate landscape.

K202020K

Master Member
Reaction score
Currently have funds parking under cimb fastsaver and cimb starsaver. Should wait till year end to put in fd or the likes of fwd?
Depending on the amount of funds you have, my view is :
1. Forget Fwd lah. $15k limit is a waste of valuable time & resources, running here and there.
2. CIMB wise, I don't think their offers these days could induce enough bites.
3. RHB Bank Premier Plus is not bad at all, if liquidity is your key priority.
4. Don't forget that you can enhance your CPF Life if you're above 55 years old.

However, the CPF Board is not able to provide a number for its minimum guaranteed yield, to date, which is not good for you & me.

Couldn't really say more as I'm no expert or veteran.

tiertime

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

d) FDs in RMB at 4.5%

Can i know what this is about? - c) BOC at 3% (special rate for 6 months)

raysdad

Reaction score
Can i know what this is about? - c) BOC at 3% (special rate for 6 months)

This is a promo by BOC. I bought 2 TM life annuities (one for myself and one for my wife) and we are both "entitled" to buy FD (capped at 5 X the annual premiums) at 3% for 6 months.

Last edited:

bongnino

Master Member
Reaction score
guys, need help here, am a total finance and savings noob here.

has anyone here heard of standard chartered's Bonus$aver? how does the Bonus$aver compare to all the FDs?

Bonus$aver only requires you to credit $3k salary every month, pay 3 bills amounting to $150, spend $500 each month, can get more than 2% interest per annum, capped at 100K.

based on their website's calculation, if put in 100K, and fulfill those requirements, can get about $200 interest each month, more than $2000 a year!

Is this not better than FD, which gets your money locked, and also at a lower interest return?

I don't really understand, do enlighten me! thanks!

bin8lee

Reaction score
guys, need help here, am a total finance and savings noob here.

has anyone here heard of standard chartered's Bonus$aver? how does the Bonus$aver compare to all the FDs?

Bonus$aver only requires you to credit $3k salary every month, pay 3 bills amounting to $150, spend $500 each month, can get more than 2% interest per annum, capped at 100K.

based on their website's calculation, if put in 100K, and fulfill those requirements, can get about $200 interest each month, more than $2000 a year!

Is this not better than FD, which gets your money locked, and also at a lower interest return?

I don't really understand, do enlighten me! thanks!

Here is detail fro 100K:
0.1% Base
1% Salary Credit
0.25% Bill Payment 3x$50
0.78% Card Spend $500

~$175/month

Grcx_86

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am 31 male this year, new to investing and would like to get started on my investment for retirement journey. Am able to hold for long term.

Was looking at Manulife retirement retireready. For a capital of 25K (5k per year for 5yr), it pays a guaranteed amt of $72000 (400 / month from 65-80
) with total projected benefits up to $144,000 (4.75% investment rate of return). Plan terminates at 80. If I can get 90K back from the plan, it will give a simple interest of 5.31% and Compound interest of 2.65%.

I read shiny things thread and he recommended the ES3 and A35 rule. Can anyone help me with a brief breakdown and would it be better to put in STI ETF ES3 and A35 bond ? Alternatively, are there other nice avenues of investment I can do? Currently have a lump sum of 30 K to invest and looking to retire at 65.

Thanks guys!

K202020K

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am 31 male this year, new to investing and would like to get started on my investment for retirement journey. Am able to hold for long term.

Was looking at Manulife retirement retireready. For a capital of 25K (5k per year for 5yr), it pays a guaranteed amt of $72000 (400 / month from 65-80
) with total projected benefits up to $144,000 (4.75% investment rate of return). Plan terminates at 80. If I can get 90K back from the plan, it will give a simple interest of 5.31% and Compound interest of 2.65%.

I read shiny things thread and he recommended the ES3 and A35 rule. Can anyone help me with a brief breakdown and would it be better to put in STI ETF ES3 and A35 bond ? Alternatively, are there other nice avenues of investment I can do? Currently have a lump sum of 30 K to invest and looking to retire at 65.

Thanks guys!
The first thing is find ways to put in CPF as the first priority. Because corporations could disappear over time but your CPF funds are solid as granite rocks.

Grcx_86

Reaction score
Sure is safe and interest rates r decent. My only concern is the govt will shift the retirement payouts of CPF life or set some new ruling on the amt 1 can withdraw. R u investing in other avenues besides CPF?

Somehow, I am wondering putting in the STI ETF will be viable as the compounding shld be better than a insurance retirement plan?

K202020K

Master Member
Reaction score
Sure is safe and interest rates r decent. My only concern is the govt will shift the retirement payouts of CPF life or set some new ruling on the amt 1 can withdraw. R u investing in other avenues besides CPF?

Somehow, I am wondering putting in the STI ETF will be viable as the compounding shld be better than a insurance retirement plan?
The Nikkei went from a peak of nearly 40,000 to today's 20,000 level. If you're a Japanese, would you think stock market investment is a good option?

Yes, only when the currency used is being debased continually with no end in sight.

K202020K

Master Member
Reaction score

Besides CPF, maybe you should do some serious research on Gold.
Gold merits our attention as it could not be debased, unlike paper currency like the USD, Japanese Yen etc.
And gold is a currency without borders, an international currency.

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Gold merits our attention as it could not be debased, unlike paper currency like the USD, Japanese Yen etc.

Is there an inverse relationship between gold and USD?

greddy88

Reaction score

Precious metals u can keep a bit as diversified asset.
Won't be able to earn as investment yet can incur storage costs.

Maybe *touch wood* can use to buy ship tickets to run road should there be a need

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.