What is the minimum months of validity before expire to travel to Malaysia?

WJ. Aoi.

Reaction score
Anyone know is it possible to travel to Malaysia with a passport that is expiring in 9 days? The trip spend there will be within these 9 days and will be back at Singapore before the expiry date.

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone know is it possible to travel to Malaysia with a passport that is expiring in 9 days? The trip spend there will be within these 9 days and will be back at Singapore before the expiry date.

I thought our passport has to have at least 6 months' validity before we can use it to travel?

A group of us was on our way via the then-Tanjong Pagar train station for a one-day JB trip years back, when a friend discovered that his passport had less than 6 months' validity. He's called to the office but managed to make the trip because we'd be back within the same day.

If you're fast enough in making an application, you can easily get your passport renewed within a week. I got mine in less than 5 working days - actually got the card to collect my passport within the same week I mailed out the application.

myben5

Reaction score

No way
At least 6 months validity

WJ. Aoi.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys. It's helpful. I'll contact ICA office to double check before heading off. :)

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I thought our passport has to have at least 6 months' validity before we can use it to travel?

It depends on the country's entry requirement you are visiting.

Trust me, my sis went into a frenzy when she realised her passport left 3 months validity when she was doing last minute packing for her HK holiday the next day. It was Saturday afternoon when she realised too, so ICA building is closed. Flight was on Sunday, and she was panicking. After many calls to and fro SIA hotline (their Pinoy CSOs are useless, btw), and calling the ICA officer in Changi Airport, I told my sis to just go down to the airport there and then to ask them face to face.

So she did, and the boarding officer checked their system for her and said HK needed only one month validity, so she will be cleared upon check-in, no worries.

And so she made the trip, enjoyed the holiday, and came back - with no hiccups, despite having only 3 mths of validity left in her passport.

Of course, one should always try to renew before your passport hit that 6 mths validity, since a lot of countries have that entry requirement. My sis was lucky - HK wasn't one of them.

However, TS is going Malaysia... and unfortunately, Malaysia is like Singapore - you need at least 6 mths validity.

Entry Requirements to Malaysia : Malaysia LCCT, Relevant Malaysia Travel Info For Your Journey

dleodleo

Master Member
Reaction score
why take the risk? Just go ICA and extend your passport.

I kena before at Malaysia, many years back at the old JB customs. The officer at malaysia side told me that my passport's validity is less than 6 mths. I told him can let me go in please, cos i go in for a day trip only and I was not aware that it was less than 6 mths. Then he said ok.

That was many years back. If it is urgent, you can inform the customer service there and they will arrange for you to meet the officer in a room. I ever done that as I last minute decided to bring my baby to Genting. Then my baby's passport was collected the next day. That was 10 years ago.

dleodleo

Master Member
Reaction score

I think 9 days is too much to be accepted.

Last time, mine is around 5 months when travelling to Malaysia.

Just go ICA to make new one. Why wait? Later kena so many problems at their customs.

emotionism

Reaction score
It depends on the country's entry requirement you are visiting.

Trust me, my sis went into a frenzy when she realised her passport left 3 months validity when she was doing last minute packing for her HK holiday the next day. It was Saturday afternoon when she realised too, so ICA building is closed. Flight was on Sunday, and she was panicking. After many calls to and fro SIA hotline (their Pinoy CSOs are useless, btw), and calling the ICA officer in Changi Airport, I told my sis to just go down to the airport there and then to ask them face to face.

So she did, and the boarding officer checked their system for her and said HK needed only one month validity, so she will be cleared upon check-in, no worries.

And so she made the trip, enjoyed the holiday, and came back - with no hiccups, despite having only 3 mths of validity left in her passport.

Of course, one should always try to renew before your passport hit that 6 mths validity, since a lot of countries have that entry requirement. My sis was lucky - HK wasn't one of them.

However, TS is going Malaysia... and unfortunately, Malaysia is like Singapore - you need at least 6 mths validity.

Entry Requirements to Malaysia : Malaysia LCCT, Relevant Malaysia Travel Info For Your Journey

wah your sis is pretty lucky because most likely is a one off case..

cheong79

Banned
Reaction score
Oso do remember to bring your old passport along, when using the new passport without a single stamp.

Dun ask moi why, just do it to prevent unpleasant trouble real trouble. Speaking thru truth experience.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
wah your sis is pretty lucky because most likely is a one off case..

No leh. It really depends on the restriction of the country you are visiting, according to the boarding officer. She didn't even ask for exception or anything.

JackWitson

Reaction score
You can know all about what minimum month validity before expiry of Malaysia travel. Get details from here. The post has shared useful information about it

beanstalk6

Reaction score
9 days. Ridiculous to expect any foreign immigration authority in the world to let you in. Go try. I am curious to see if Singapore immigration will advise you against leaving.

Aaron_soh80

Banned
Reaction score

Try before left 3mths..he stare at me..but still let me go..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.