Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

vspecll_gtr

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my wife and i wanted to bring our 3yrs old to japan. Its our first time there, and planning to start & end in tokyo around mid apr 18.
Total of 10 nights.

This is rough initial planning.

1. Tokyo stay 3 nights
- Disneyland. Buy from klook
- day trip to fuji Q, five lakes of fuji , take picture of mt Fuji, thomas train theme park.

Shinkasen to kyoto

2. Kyoto stay 5 nights
- Sagano Scenic Railway
- day trip to osaka
- osaka aquarium
- day trip to Himeji Castle
- Sento Imperial Palace
- Fushimi Inari Shrine

3. Tokyo stay 2 nights
- shopping

Some questions.
1. [Tokyo] Stay around Shinagawa Station? It seems easily accessible to kyoto and haneda airport. Being first time in japan, with a 3 yrs old

2. Any nice accommodation or places of interest to recommend for the whole trips? We are looking for scenic and kids friendly iternaries

3. Intending to get 7 days jr pass for the middle of our trip, as it covers to and fro kyoto. Anything i must look out for?

Thanks in advance~

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX 2 using GAGT

I will be bringing 2 of my toddlers to Tokyo and Osaka and driving around too..

Places which I have short listed are:

1) Disney land (usual few rides which are musical and stuff)
2) Disney Sea (quite a few rides where toddlers could be playing)
3) Grinpa (www.grinpa.com/en/) mainly to check out the snow and stuff
4) Legoland (have yet to decide if I should detour to go)
5) Osaka Aquarium
6) Expocity in Osaka
7) Sanrio Puroland
8) Ghibli museum
9) Aquariums in Tokyo too

incredible99

Reaction score
If I buy the Hakone Pass (which was my initial plan), I will pick up the car at Hakone Yumoto and return at Odawara. From Odarawa you can take a train back to Tokyo.

With the Hakone Pass don't you have to change train at Odawara station then to Hakone Yumoto station? Why not pick up and return at Odawara station?

Thanks

daranic

Reaction score
With the Hakone Pass don't you have to change train at Odawara station then to Hakone Yumoto station? Why not pick up and return at Odawara station?

Thanks

Beacuse I initially planned to get the 2-day Hakone freepass and pick up the rental car at around 3-4pm after spending the mroning and earlier part of the afternoon in Hakone using the freepass. Rationale was: Pick up later, return later after 2 days as renting 2 full days is cheaper than renting 2 days + xx hrs. So I was thinking to pick up at Hakone Yumoto which is nearer to the central part of Hakone.

But if you are collecting the car immediately upon arrival then it makes sense to collect at Odawara. But do you need the car if you are getting the freepass?

For my case, I am collecting at Odawara too cos I dropped the idea of getting the freepass.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone familiar in watch leather straps? Any shops to recommend in Shinjuku, Shibuya or Ginza?

incredible99

Reaction score
Beacuse I initially planned to get the 2-day Hakone freepass and pick up the rental car at around 3-4pm after spending the mroning and earlier part of the afternoon in Hakone using the freepass. Rationale was: Pick up later, return later after 2 days as renting 2 full days is cheaper than renting 2 days + xx hrs. So I was thinking to pick up at Hakone Yumoto which is nearer to the central part of Hakone.

But if you are collecting the car immediately upon arrival then it makes sense to collect at Odawara. But do you need the car if you are getting the freepass?

For my case, I am collecting at Odawara too cos I dropped the idea of getting the freepass.
We need the car to get to the hotel (near lake) as it's not so accessible and a 30mins drive from Odawara. Also to drive around to the cable car, Ropeway, Tozan train etc ...

If you're not buying the Hakone Pass, won't it be expensive to catch all the rides / cruises etc?

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just booked our tickets to Tokyo (Haneda)

Is staying at Shinjuku good?

Will be in Tokyo for 4 days and then going to Osaka for 3 days before flying out from there

What pass should I get?

Planning to go DisneySea and USJ

I read online that I don't need to get a JR pass since I am not coming back to Tokyo...is that true?

TIA :)
Personally don't prefer shinjuku too as the station tends to be crowded. Recommend Shinagawa since you are headed to Osaka.

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no la.. still got kyoto, osaka and nagoya..
kyoto, osaka i got plans where to stay le.. nagoya totally haven plan yet.. dunno what to do there also..

so got any recommended area to stay in hiroshima? i thinking either near miyajima or the hiroshima city center area.
Recommend Hiroshima train station too, else need to lug your luggage onto the bus or tram. City ctr is near hondori or hatchobori.

Castle not worth going though if you ard going to others. It's kinda small.

Last edited:

Toiletpaper80

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

5) Osaka Aquarium
6) Expocity in Osaka
7) Sanrio Puroland
8) Ghibli museum
thanks the list is very useful

bluebell_09

Reaction score

5) Osaka Aquarium
6) Expocity in Osaka
7) Sanrio Puroland
8) Ghibli museum

its good that you have car, I jus came back with my 2.5 toddler. almost died handling him + stroller + luggage + human crowd

Toiletpaper80

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my wife and i wanted to bring our 3yrs old to japan. Its our first time there, and planning to start & end in tokyo around mid apr 18.
Total of 10 nights.

This is rough initial planning.

1. Tokyo stay 3 nights
- Disneyland. Buy from klook
- day trip to fuji Q, five lakes of fuji , take picture of mt Fuji, thomas train theme park.

Shinkasen to kyoto

2. Kyoto stay 5 nights
- Sagano Scenic Railway
- day trip to osaka
- osaka aquarium
- day trip to Himeji Castle
- Sento Imperial Palace
- Fushimi Inari Shrine

3. Tokyo stay 2 nights
- shopping

Some questions.
1. [Tokyo] Stay around Shinagawa Station? It seems easily accessible to kyoto and haneda airport. Being first time in japan, with a 3 yrs old

2. Any nice accommodation or places of interest to recommend for the whole trips? We are looking for scenic and kids friendly iternaries

3. Intending to get 7 days jr pass for the middle of our trip, as it covers to and fro kyoto. Anything i must look out for?

Thanks in advance~

Upz for suggestion~

vspecll_gtr

Reaction score
its good that you have car, I jus came back with my 2.5 toddler. almost died handling him + stroller + luggage + human crowd

haha almost died lol... I intend to use baby carrier or when in any shopping mall in Japan, rent 1 stroller..

Cos it is a hassle to bring my stroller along.

Well I getting a car just so that I can town hop but when in Tokyo the vehicle might not be even used much cos parking fees are exorbitant!

So what was your itinerary like?

vspecll_gtr

Reaction score
Oh by the way.. for all to know..

Rakuten will be having Super sale from the 2nd December 7pm till 8th Dec.

Participating merchants will be providing discounts..

So I think you might be able to have some savings when you book during the time frame.

1 Question for Rakuten users.. Did you have Mobile address or did you just randomly chose 1 so that you can be a user?

Thank you!

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
haha almost died lol... I intend to use baby carrier or when in any shopping mall in Japan, rent 1 stroller..

Cos it is a hassle to bring my stroller along.

Well I getting a car just so that I can town hop but when in Tokyo the vehicle might not be even used much cos parking fees are exorbitant!

So what was your itinerary like?

With younglings, you'd need to stick to the bigger malls like Taka and Isetan. They have better services and could politely chase people away at elevators if the attendant sees you with a toddler. Without them, it's like first come first serve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.