CET Diploma Course Awareness | Difference between FT and PT

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lately Government have been emphasising on skills upgrading
so as to be better employed.
However I find that employers/recruitment agency are not
familiar with Diploma from CET Academy.

Given my experience when I left my previous job hunting for a new job.
On several occasions I had to explain what CET Academy means as well as
what is the difference between FT and PT.

That is why I create this thread as it seems such PT courses most
are not aware of.
I do not want to rant but if possible share what are the benefits
and challenges you may face.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
CET Diploma VS Full Time What is the difference

- Time frame for both course is almost the same.
However these days CET Diploma have stream down
to 2.5 years instead of three years during my time.
That will mean weekends you may have to come
back for classes.
Three years course usually classes fall on weekdays only.

- Course Structure is more or less the same.
However let me just emphasis that such course is catered
to train working adults not students.

- Entry requirements varies on Polytechnic.
Like say for Ngee Ann Polytechnic, one must have
at least three GCE 'O' Level passes + three working experience.
Full time wise you must have required GCE 'O' Level cut off points in
order to enrol in certain school/course.
So why is it employers deem/park CET Diploma on par
with Full time Diploma that I really don't know.

- Upon graduation there will be cash incentive under WSQ/WDA

- You can apply for fee subsidy/bursary but only if you are first time undertaking a Diploma course.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which Polytechnic have CET Academy and what courses they have?

Ngee Ann Polytechnic (At Clementi) - Business (Like Logistics), Engineering
and childhood teaching
http://www.np.edu.sg/cet/courses/Pages/diplomas.aspx

Republic Polytechnic (At Woodlands) - Business, Life science and engineering
http://www.rp.edu.sg/Part-Time-Diploma-Programme.aspx

Temasek Polytechnic (Tampiness) - Mostly applied science
http://www.tp.edu.sg/courses/part-time-courses/diploma-by-schools/school-of-applied-science

Singapore Polytechnic (Beside Dover MRT)- a lot of PT courses, Engineering, business and etc.
http://www.sp.edu.sg/wps/portal/vp-...e=pace_ptdip&utm_medium=any&utm_campaign=pace

If you want to know SP is the hardest to gain entry especially if your O level results isn't fantastic.
Easiest to enrol is Ngee Ann Polytechnic so if you have fail application for other Polytechnic ought to apply at NP.

Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What will be challenges when studying PT Diploma?

To be obvious there are a lot of challenges when studying PT
so I will irony out some key issues.

- Firstly, please somehow force your employer to endorse such course.
For employers they have incentive if staff go for such course since
it is park under WSQ not private education.
My time I remember, such course if you want to go for exam
and had to take time off.

Employer does not make any losses if they endorse such course.
Than they can claim makeup since the staff is undergoing training.
During my time was difficulty since I went into the course without
a endorsement from employer since they thought it fall
under private education.

So no loses for both employer and employee since there is incentive.
However whether for incentives is there any changes I don't know.
That you have to ask HR/boss to talk with CET Academy.

Most of my classmate employers send them for such courses while
I am the only one on my own.

- Be prepared to work with classmate that are either local or foreigners.
Yes irony is weirdly foreigners the beloved FT group also come here to retrain.
I know many despise them since for 1 local job are usually filled by FT.
I cannot disclose what benefit FT group does have beside incentive if
not I will go lim kopi.

My lips are seal, I see and hear what they can get other than just a cert.

- Maintain a good repo with your classmates especially when comes to
group assignment/project.
Most are working adults, thus for group project it can be challenging to
ask everyone to gather and meet especially outside.

My best advice if possible, stay back after class. Discuss initial plans what to do for the project/assignment. Spent a bit of time to go through and if possible just do a little.

Than if need more time to finished meet back at school on another day to finished.
Be prepared to hear all sorts of excuse during group work, like
weekend need to do OT, family commitment, not feeling well and etc.

Yes some have kids at home, weekend is usually take the kid out to zoo and etc. However if parents is undergoing course I don't feel using your child as a excuse for not to meetup for group work.

If have kid, can always bring along. So long the kid just be quiet, play around the area or bring along his/her homework to do.

- It will test your time management to the max.
To think work is already tough, squeezing project datelines/day to day to assignment.

Add studying to a pack work schedule is tough, especially test/exam period.
This is hard to advice as it depends on the job you do.
However test/exam period best to let your employer know about it
especially if there is a need to take time off just to revise.

Some employer may allow staff to do that especially if they endorse the course.
On exam/test day, unlike full time you prepare well ahead of it.

For such course, you can do so but day time working what you revise.
You may forget since your mind is occupied at work.
Some class start at 6 while some at 7 thus most are actually rushing to school.

Unless for those who work shift work than should have no issues.

Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I hope this thread could be useful for anyone especially those
from ITE or school dropout to pursue a local PT Diploma course.
Local Diploma is widely accepted other than private Diploma
so do take note of that.

It is tough course especially for me as I went into such course
with no backing from employer since they thought it was private education.
Any question feel free to ask me.

About job searching, do expect employers to question you
about your CET Diploma that is for sure.
Since most HR/Recruitment Agency only seen before full time Diploma
certs not those from CET thus they feel puzzled.

Last but not least, to all employers/recruitment agency please don't
deem CET Diploma as full time Diploma.
Entry requirement is not only different between the two but
the course structure is also difference.

Since CET course is catered for working adults but not post secondary students. Can you deem those who finish a Diploma at CET Academy as fresh graduate or student?

If you are not working, they cannot accept your application.

Last edited:

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes.. most employers do not know the difference between CET diploma and full-time diploma. But they do care about the name where you got the diploma from. They will think that it is similar to a full-time diploma

So if you couldn't get into a full time diploma, it is worth considering taking the CET diploma which is easier to get in.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes.. most employers do not know the difference between CET diploma and full-time diploma. But they do care about the name where you got the diploma from. They will think that it is similar to a full-time diploma

So if you couldn't get into a full time diploma, it is worth considering taking the CET diploma which is easier to get in.

True, so expect employers to question you.
Especially they will ask which Poly is it, in some cases you may
need to just do a short presentation about the course you went through.

Such Diploma course is indeed much easier to apply since unlike
Full time Diploma you need certain GCE 'O' Level points in order
to apply certain school/course.

PT Diploma wise at least GCE 'O" Level with three passes for certain subjects like English, Maths and Science.
Those who dropout from school, ITE grads and etc. can consider taking this course.

However downside about PT course is not all can cope between work and study. One of my classmate wanted to dropout as could not cope, however since the employer have send the person for this course.

If he/she back out, you have to compensate the employer.

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I wish to add on & use Electrical trade as an example. In the past, mostly only SP & NP have Electrical Diploma courses. SP Full time (3 years) & Part time (5 years) Diploma have the same qualification for Electrical & Electronics Engineering. EMA recognized their Diploma for LEW & NTU/NUS recognized their Diploma for both full & part time degree. NP Full time (3 years) is Diploma in Electrical Engineering & Part time (3 years) is Diploma in Technology (Electrical). EMA recognized their Diploma for LEW & NTU/NUS recognized their Diploma for both full & part time degree. However NP Diploma in Electrical Engineering direct entry to 2nd year & NP Diploma in Technology (Electrical) have to start for 1st year for degree courses like NTU BEng (Electrical & Electronics).

Now all part time Diploma courses change to CET Diploma courses to create the different standard. Both CET Diplomas, SP Diploma in Engineering (Power Engineering) & NP Diploma in Engineering (Electrical) is 2.5 years night class duration. EMA recognized their Diploma for LEW however both NUS & NTU do not recognized CET Diploma for full time degree courses. Even NTU, the only local university conducted part time degree in electrical do not recognized CET Diploma. This mean that forever you will never be able to become a Professional Engineer (Electrical) in Singapore by Singapore education mode using CET Diploma.

Then nowadays more polytechnic like RP is opening up CET Diploma course related to Electrical. A lot of people assume that as long as it is a Polytechnic Diploma, EMA will recognized it which is not true. To add on, why young people are studying CET Diploma because they cannot enter full time education.

In the first place, Singapore Government are limiting Singaporeans to have higher education on that those who fail to have higher education while be force to find jobs in the workforce. Singapore Government want to have a Hierarchy system in the workforce so that graduate from ITE Certificate (Technician), Polytechnic Diploma (Technical Officer) and Local University Degree (Engineer) will work in their respective social class status. If the workforce ever needs more manpower at higher level like Engineer, they can always get Foreigners to fill up the gap. However things change when Singapore have become a high cost of living country & companies are addicted to pay low wages. ITE graduates are force to study higher education like Polytechnic Diploma in order to hold higher position like Technical Officer to command a higher wages. Now the situation force a lot of Singaporeans to become unemployed because of oversupply of educated job applicants for low demand job openings in a high cost of living country like Singapore & companies are still addicted to pay low wages.

The education system & other systems created by Singapore Government have screw up a lot of Singaporeans.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I wish to add on & use Electrical trade as an example. In the past, mostly only SP & NP have Electrical Diploma courses. SP Full time (3 years) & Part time (5 years) Diploma have the same qualification for Electrical & Electronics Engineering. EMA recognized their Diploma for LEW & NTU/NUS recognized their Diploma for both full & part time degree. NP Full time (3 years) is Diploma in Electrical Engineering & Part time (3 years) is Diploma in Technology (Electrical). EMA recognized their Diploma for LEW & NTU/NUS recognized their Diploma for both full & part time degree. However NP Diploma in Electrical Engineering direct entry to 2nd year & NP Diploma in Technology (Electrical) have to start for 1st year for degree courses like NTU BEng (Electrical & Electronics).

Now all part time Diploma courses change to CET Diploma courses to create the different standard. Both CET Diplomas, SP Diploma in Engineering (Power Engineering) & NP Diploma in Engineering (Electrical) is 2.5 years night class duration. EMA recognized their Diploma for LEW however both NUS & NTU do not recognized CET Diploma for full time degree courses. Even NTU, the only local university conducted part time degree in electrical do not recognized CET Diploma. This mean that forever you will never be able to become a Professional Engineer (Electrical) in Singapore by Singapore education mode using CET Diploma.

Then nowadays more polytechnic like RP is opening up CET Diploma course related to Electrical. A lot of people assume that as long as it is a Polytechnic Diploma, EMA will recognized it which is not true. To add on, why young people are studying CET Diploma because they cannot enter full time education.

In the first place, Singapore Government are limiting Singaporeans to have higher education on that those who fail to have higher education while be force to find jobs in the workforce. Singapore Government want to have a Hierarchy system in the workforce so that graduate from ITE Certificate (Technician), Polytechnic Diploma (Technical Officer) and Local University Degree (Engineer) will work in their respective social class status. If the workforce ever needs more manpower at higher level like Engineer, they can always get Foreigners to fill up the gap. However things change when Singapore have become a high cost of living country & companies are addicted to pay low wages. ITE graduates are force to study higher education like Polytechnic Diploma in order to hold higher position like Technical Officer to command a higher wages. Now the situation force a lot of Singaporeans to become unemployed because of oversupply of educated job applicants for low demand job openings in a high cost of living country like Singapore & companies are still addicted to pay low wages.

The education system & other systems created by Singapore Government have screw up a lot of Singaporeans.

Very true, SG Gov push Skillsfuture courses and etc.
However even if one goes for future upgrading/studies.
One can never guarantee a job since they are already
allocated for FW/FT.

Even if sinkies want to apply for certain roles, usually are
either low ball or KIV the job application for two weeks.
I been through two years of unemployment just because
of how SG job market have never favour locals but foreigners.

Regarding LEW course that I didn't know and Thanks for sharing.
One thing for sure which I forget to add is if one wish
to apply for local Uni PT degree.

CET Diploma for both NTU and NUS PT Degree they cannot accept.
However NTU new courses in IT and etc. PT course,
one can try.

I have enquired before but yet to apply.
To be honest I spent a total of five years further studies.
My body and mind need a break not to mention lack
of sleep and rest for so long.

Sometimes I feel it is tough pill to swallow that even if you
went through five years of studying. Finding a job is not easy
that is one thing.

For me I feel most employers don't respect or give credits
to someone who went for further studies after NS.
Not to mention they treat such certs same with full time than....

Tentaikun

Master Member
Reaction score
Its good to have a part time CET diploma than not having a diploma at all. However CET diploma is not equivalent to full time diploma. Just like NUS Btech programme is never equal to BEng:(

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
the cert wont show CET diploma so doesnt matter. why u need to explain to them if they did not ask?

btw my class so many young ppl take the course le.. i wonder how come they did not take full time but take part time @ young age.

if can go for full time man.

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
HR who is professional enough will be able to tell without checking the website. In fact, it is not rocket science to know if it is CET Diploma or full time Diploma. As long as the person quote Diploma in Engineering (XXX), Diploma in Business Practice (XXX) & etc, it is a CET Diploma.

the cert wont show CET diploma so doesnt matter. why u need to explain to them if they did not ask?

btw my class so many young ppl take the course le.. i wonder how come they did not take full time but take part time @ young age.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
HR who is professional enough will be able to tell without checking the website. In fact, it is not rocket science to know if it is CET Diploma or full time Diploma. As long as the person quote Diploma in Engineering (XXX), Diploma in Business Practice (XXX) & etc, it is a CET Diploma.

As well as Diploma In Technology.
The Diploma cert from CET is also different from full time.
For CET Diploma, there is CET logo.
Full time wise, is the respective Poly logo.

I wish to show but danger of online pirates may use
my image for forgery.
Some HR may know but most recruitment agencies are not
familiar with such cert.
Since most of them go through FT Poly thus they are only
familiar with FT cert.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Job these days require a relevant cert as well as three years
working experience. By doing both work and study at the same time
is kill two bird with one stone.

That is why I am doing PT than full time but only to realize
the various obstacle I had to overcome.

grapewall

Reaction score
Thanks for the enlightenment. I've always thought CET diploma is exactly the same as full time diploma.
Anyway, i trust the standard can reputation of the local polytechnic. They wont provide sub standard programmes. Part time is indeed tough. Lots of freedom lost.
For me, i intend to take up SP diploma in business in the next intake. I want to learn more about business.
To the guy who talk about Professional Engineer, sorry, but i really have to tell the truth. Not every one can be a Professional Engineer. If you need to go thru this route , chances are PE is out of your reach. Nothing against you, but unfortunately it's a fact.

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the enlightenment. I've always thought CET diploma is exactly the same as full time diploma.
Anyway, i trust the standard can reputation of the local polytechnic. They wont provide sub standard programmes. Part time is indeed tough. Lots of freedom lost.
For me, i intend to take up SP diploma in business in the next intake. I want to learn more about business.

I am assuming you are talking about CET Diploma in Business Practice (Business Management)?

To the guy who talk about Professional Engineer, sorry, but i really have to tell the truth. Not every one can be a Professional Engineer. If you need to go thru this route , chances are PE is out of your reach. Nothing against you, but unfortunately it's a fact.

You are not talking objectively. Majorly do not become PE because their job does not have a PE to mentor them to meet the requirement. This is indirectly a human factor of not able to get a job with PE mentor.

In this thread, I am talking about public education by part time mode. If public education like CET Diploma in Engineering (electrical and electronic) from RP does not recognized by professional bodies like EMA and local university like NTU & NUS, what the different between getting a private Diploma compare to a Polytechnic Diploma?

Under BCA regulation, Engineer do not needs to be PE but their degree (Civil, Mech & Elect) must be recognized by PEB Sg in order get a P grade to work in construction industry. In this case, companies can only hire Foreigners apart from NUS & NTU graduates because they don't recognized distance learning degree.

So in short, the system created by Singapore Government s.c.r.e.w us up.

tecnica

Honorary Member
Reaction score
As well as Diploma In Technology.
The Diploma cert from CET is also different from full time.
For CET Diploma, there is CET logo.
Full time wise, is the respective Poly logo.

I wish to show but danger of online pirates may use
my image for forgery.
Some HR may know but most recruitment agencies are not
familiar with such cert.
Since most of them go through FT Poly thus they are only
familiar with FT cert.

Since when CET Diploma cert got CET logo?

Sergios

Reaction score
anyone have the Ngee Ann poly's CET Academy's building services and fire safety course materials?
Would like to borrow to read.

I am interested in it.

mherman

Reaction score
i am contemplating now weather to take up CET diploma or not. i am juz afraid that after 2-3 years of study, most companies will not recognize it and the cert will be deemed redundant. but is the CET diploma officiated and endorsed by local poly or some private institution like mdis or kaplan?

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am contemplating now weather to take up CET diploma or not. i am juz afraid that after 2-3 years of study, most companies will not recognize it and the cert will be deemed redundant. but is the CET diploma officiated and endorsed by local poly or some private institution like mdis or kaplan?

It is endorsed by local Poly.
The value of CET cert is not there, certain sectors especially
Gov sector they don't accept it.

If you don't have Diploma, I still advice study at CET.
You have subsidized rate, benefits especially for employers who
send you for course and etc.

Private wise the rate are very high and no benefits.
Not sure whether still have cash bonus upon completion as
my time still have.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.