The Hair Thread - Part 5

sansanjikikut

Master Member
Reaction score
MM smells like the coke candy to me

Notice a lot of citrus oil ingredients in the formula. Definitely not suavecito or apestomen cheapo coke-like smell. :s13:

That's another thing to tell from a good product - The scent notes, cheap ones only 1 base note.

tubbies

Reaction score
This is interesting, can you post photos of the actual product you have, including the box itself, below the cap and underneath the jar.
Anything suspicious? ^^;
4keerb.jpg
When I smell it directly from the jar, I do notice a hint of coke-like smell, but still nothing sweet nor citrus-y. And once applied, there is not the slightest scent of the coke-like smell anymore.

nichsong

Reaction score
Anything suspicious? ^^;
4keerb.jpg
When I smell it directly from the jar, I do notice a hint of coke-like smell, but still nothing sweet nor citrus-y. And once applied, there is not the slightest scent of the coke-like smell anymore.

Doesn't look suspicious at all to me. You should be good bro, don't worry haha.

Sent from Samsung SM-G950F using GAGT

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anything suspicious? ^^;
4keerb.jpg

it's legit la bro.

the content settled in that's why theres a break in the form.
when they pour in, its full, but solidify, it flatten below the top part and there's a break there.

morris motley scent is proprietary

sansanjikikut

Master Member
Reaction score
Anything suspicious? ^^;
4keerb.jpg

Yours seem like a rather old packaging. Maybe that is why your product looks 'deformed' as it is very likely to be much earlier batches. The new boxes and product labeling all come in all-caps font. Also new ones don't have their company address printed on the side of the box anymore.

Their website is showing the new box but not the newest product. Talk about attention to detail. :s22:

The CNY limited edition is just a marketing gimmick. Basically they just ship the unfolded CNY box together with the original white box and the product inside it.:s13:

TLDR: yours is legit, but most likely its old stock or not stored under the most optimal conditions.

tubbies

Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurance nichsong, gaoxing, sansanjikikut :s12:
And thank you for letting me know what to look after on my next purchase sansanjikikut.
MM doesn't look too popular where I live, so my initial concern was also regarding the freshness of the product. But still good to know its legit and thankfully it still performs well despite from an older batch. Will be on the lookout for the all caps font :)

xxxjhxxx

Master Member
Reaction score
Came across this shampoo brand Hatsuga.. apparently known for fighting oily scalp and hair loss.. anyone tried it? Need some advice!

triface

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been using the Teddy Boy Matte as my first pomade, but it's not doing what I need at all. My hair is quite short, and I sometimes slick my hair back. The pomade doesn't have enough hold to do that.

I've been looking into heavy hold pomades, and was looking at the Flagship Black Ship pomade.

I don't see myself restyling that much, so I'm finding it a little hard to justify paying the premium that unorthodox pomades tend to command. If I'm not too worried about restyling, is it reasonable to just go with an orthodox one that (presumably) just hardens up over the day? Or would that just be the same as getting a normal hair gel? Are all orthodox pomades drying? My hair is quite dry, so that's a concern.

Side question: The Black Ship (along with some other unorthodox pomades) is said to wash away only with shampoo. How likely is it that I will end up with buildup if I'm thorough with my single shampoo wash?

Last edited:

sansanjikikut

Master Member
Reaction score
SG guys number one concern when it comes to hair product - easy to wash out. Blackship though water based but will still need conditioner to take it out fully. But its not the worst, a tip is to look at the first few ingredients of the product.

Example blumaan cavalier has the following ingredients:

paraffinum liquidum, beeswax, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, bentonite, hydrogenated castor oil, VP/VA copolymer (firming agent), water (aqua), kaolin ... etc

First ingredient is paraffinum liquidum, a very refined mineral oil. This is an oil based clay for sure and it will take some hard scrubbing even with soap to get it off your hair AND hands. Same for lockharts and baxter clay. very good hold but trade off is hard to wash off.

nichsong

Reaction score
SG guys number one concern when it comes to hair product - easy to wash out. Blackship though water based but will still need conditioner to take it out fully. But its not the worst, a tip is to look at the first few ingredients of the product.

paraffinum liquidum, beeswax, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, bentonite, hydrogenated castor oil, VP/VA copolymer (firming agent), water (aqua), kaolin ... etc

First ingredient is paraffinum liquidum, a very refined mineral oil. This is an oil based clay for sure and it will take some hard scrubbing even with soap to get it off your hair AND hands. Same for lockharts and baxter clay. very good hold but trade off is hard to wash off.

Great info here! For all those who have yet to know, the position of each ingredient on the ingredient list is an indication of the amount present in the product. Its actually in descending order. The first ingredient having the highest qty, followed by the last

Dagionax

Reaction score
Looking for hairspray recommendations. Need one that will really fix down the style for the whole day. I’ve been using Got2b blasting freeze spray because it’s the strongest I’ve found but unfortunately, Guardian no longer stocks it. (Also not really a fan of it’s “sandy” feel. The hairspray particles are, how to say, not fine?)

sansanjikikut

Master Member
Reaction score
Guys any high end hair tonic to recommend? Is aveda that good? $50 sweat.

Homebrewed tonics too oily for my liking.

anizee

Reaction score
What does it mean when they say flagship matte paste is not for newbies? I am a newbie myself, I am terrible at blow drying and styling my hair because my hair is thin and just goes all over the place and falls flat very easily. Will I be able to try this product?

sansanjikikut

Master Member
Reaction score
What does it mean when they say flagship matte paste is not for newbies? I am a newbie myself, I am terrible at blow drying and styling my hair because my hair is thin and just goes all over the place and falls flat very easily. Will I be able to try this product?

No, its not for beginners. Skip Lockharts anti gravity as well because it dries up on your hand too fast even if you only emulsify it a bit.

Get a cream based product so you will have more 'work time' before it sets. E.g arcadian , firsthand or even ace high products which are known for their creaminess formulas.

triface

Reaction score

Thanks for the info! That last tip is gold.

nichsong

Reaction score

I don't really think it's that difficult to use - you just have to use a lesser amount than usual. Emulsify it well between your palms, then apply slowly to the hair. Layer more if need be

d4rkw1sH

Reaction score
looking for new recommendations. i have been using hanz de fuko quicksand for years kinda looking for a change. i use the hair straightener so water, rain or sweat is a no no on the hair. wondering if there are any new wax that would be a good match

sansanjikikut

Master Member
Reaction score
Quicksand is good but the ingredients are kinda disgusting lol. Give daimon barber clay or arcadian a shot.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.