Digital TV (DVB T2) Consolidated thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If we have a tv with built in dvbt2 tuner, still need to use antenna?

If so, does this type of antenna work well? say 5m from window. thanks

< image removed >

Yes.

Maybe, depend on the signal coverage at your location and the floor level you stay. If you haven't brought any antenna yet, just go for the cheapest one first before proceeding to get active antenna if signal/reception is bad.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Funke DSC550 is just an antenna to receive RF signals only.

To hear 5.1 surround sound audio, you need to get an IDTV (SMART TV) with SPDIF or optical out connected to a 5.1 surround sound system.

Most of the set-top boxes in the market can only provide Stereo Audio output.

Don't thnk TV station transmission is done in 5.1 anyway.

ttttt12345

Reaction score
hi guys ...also to confirm another thing..there are 2 types of dvb standards:

dvb-t1 (older)
vs
dvb-t2 (newer)

So for 2019 and beyond, even if a tv has built in digital tuner but if its the older dvb-t1 then it will not be able to receive signals on 1st Jan 2019 and beyond?

i.e. must need the dvb-t2 tuner ? (either built-in within the tv or set-top-box)
thanks

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys ...also to confirm another thing..there are 2 types of dvb standards:

dvb-t1 (older)
vs
dvb-t2 (newer)

So for 2019 and beyond, even if a tv has built in digital tuner but if its the older dvb-t1 then it will not be able to receive signals on 1st Jan 2019 and beyond?

i.e. must need the dvb-t2 tuner ? (either built-in within the tv or set-top-box)
thanks

DVB standard is either DVB-T or DVB-T2. The standard adopted here and around the region is DVB-T2.

Yes, if a TV only has DVB-T tuner it will not be able to receive any of the MC FTA channels.

And yes, either get the TV replaced or get a STB with DVB-T2 tuner, plus an indoor antenna.

sonic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Does the remote control able to replicate all the functions of the TV remote or just part of it?

The DTV remote only got the TV function for vol+- & power on.
No other function.

Mugen

Master Member
Reaction score
Fixed the redeemed Digital box at my wife shop at Bedok Reservoir Rd,
signal very good..

yuXlxKz.jpg

U use the antenna provided in the starter kit? Is it white color antenna same as below photo?

NMS%20ETA%20Stereo%20STB2-T2%20High.jpg

Mugen

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes, the white antenna in passive mode.

Ya I just collected today and test out awhile ago and all the channel works fine and easy setup too. I never try the antenna with active mode and is the signal is already very strong. Some more I stayed at 2nd floor only. Maybe because I'm at central area? :D

Reaction score
i got the letter from MDA today...does this mean the tv points in my flat wont give signals any more in the future and everyone has to use antennas? sorry, i'm not really sure about what this change means..

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya I just collected today and test out awhile ago and all the channel works fine and easy setup too. I never try the antenna with active mode and is the signal is already very strong. Some more I stayed at 2nd floor only. Maybe because I'm at central area? :D

You meant the bundle antenna is active type one?

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i got the letter from MDA today...does this mean the tv points in my flat wont give signals any more in the future and everyone has to use antennas? sorry, i'm not really sure about what this change means..

Yes, if it is SCV point as it doesn't carry DVB-T2 signal. But if it those old HDB MATV with main antenna on the roof-top then it may be still able to receive DVB-T2 signal.

Krabs.

Honorary Member
Reaction score
I bought this one from the seller Goodzilla ... stated with 5m cable and usb booster
actual item slightly over 4m only .... not true 5m length
https://qoo.tn/BOrJUR/Q107107220

put on floor near window will have signal breakup on CNA , but put on window ledge it's strong 100 / 100
I carry the TV to kitchen to face north side can receive 8tv tv1 tv2 ntv9 analog channel but very blur

If we have a tv with built in dvbt2 tuner, still need to use antenna?

If so, does this type of antenna work well? say 5m from window. thanks

bu76ggjhy_1525824382_b92298a8.jpg

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Low floor has weak signal is a myth. It was true when mediacorp was using DVB-T. DVB-T transmits signal from one big transmitter at bt. batok. So low floors get poor signal, and normally need central antenna on the roof top to get sufficient signal.

Our current DVB-T2 system employs many basestations to serve many microcells. If you are lucky, the basestation is not far away, you will get strong signal even at low floor. Those at the boundary of the cells, even at high floor, may get weak signal.

Last edited:

VodkaPear

Master Member
Reaction score
Any recommendation for a gd antenna?

The one i have signal is very chui although i stay at 11 floor.

Watch halfway the screen can jump around, lag, sounds sometimes loud and soft.

ttttt12345

Reaction score
thanks for those who help with the queries

just received IMDA letter...intending to use the letter itself as a 100 bucks equivalent voucher to offset the purchase of a new tv with built-in dvb-t2 tuner

which is the cheapest 32" tv with built-in dvb-t2 tuner for sale brand new? courts? best denki? Harvey norman? thanks

mosmos

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
thanks for those who help with the queries

just received IMDA letter...intending to use the letter itself as a 100 bucks equivalent voucher to offset the purchase of a new tv with built-in dvb-t2 tuner

which is the cheapest 32" tv with built-in dvb-t2 tuner for sale brand new? courts? best denki? Harvey norman? thanks
oKa5Swl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.