The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I think alr comparing superb to prevencia is overkill. Normal zeiss single vision with duravision blue protect would be a better comparison☺️. Individual zeiss is really dependent on the user whether he/she needs that sort of crisp sharpness and clarity.
Oh! Also prevencia is the blue light reduction coating so must compare it to zeiss blue protect. Unless you means just comparing the essilor crizal coat to zeiss lotutec(older) or duravision platinum(new).

Oh sorry, I meant in terms of quality or brightness of the lens - zeiss superb vs essilor prevencia single vision. Zeiss individual for sv is overkill? Thanks again

sandeay

Reaction score
Gangsterkia,
I really enjoyed reading your posts, so informative. Could I seek some advice here? Looking to get a new pair of specs. My current pair is about 10 years old. Made a new pair 5 years ago, but not able to use it - while I can see far and near quite well, I struggled to read my computer screen. So i reverted to my old pair. But now no choice, as my far sight is getting worse. I am 60 years old, SPH is -5 and -7.75, Near Add is +2.5. I am thinking of progressive with priority on computer and reading. And my doctor advised getting transition. What type of lens would you recommend? I would prefer to spend not more than S$1,000. Though i would like to get Zeiss, i think it is prob. outside my budget. Thank you.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon! Thanks. Before I get started may I also know if you know what kind of progressive are you using? And which brand ? E.g. essilor comfort 360, physiology 360, hoya summit, trueform premium, or zeiss progressive plus, precision plus , precision pure? That kind you have any idea?

Gangsterkia,
I really enjoyed reading your posts, so informative. Could I seek some advice here? Looking to get a new pair of specs. My current pair is about 10 years old. Made a new pair 5 years ago, but not able to use it - while I can see far and near quite well, I struggled to read my computer screen. So i reverted to my old pair. But now no choice, as my far sight is getting worse. I am 60 years old, SPH is -5 and -7.75, Near Add is +2.5. I am thinking of progressive with priority on computer and reading. And my doctor advised getting transition. What type of lens would you recommend? I would prefer to spend not more than S$1,000. Though i would like to get Zeiss, i think it is prob. outside my budget. Thank you.

sandeay

Reaction score
Good afternoon! Thanks. Before I get started may I also know if you know what kind of progressive are you using? And which brand ? E.g. essilor comfort 360, physiology 360, hoya summit, trueform premium, or zeiss progressive plus, precision plus , precision pure? That kind you have any idea?
Eh.. I really have no idea at all. Made it 10 years ago. But I think it's non-brand one. Just took off my specs and can't see any marking on the lens. I don't remember choosing any particular brand. Only that it is progressive. Went for a comprehensive eye test recently, and that's where I got the readings. The doc there said my astigmatism has shifted n that I have early signs of cataract - hence the recommendation for transitions lens.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I will get back to you tonight. But I believe as of now you probably need a 1.67 lens progressive with transition you are looking at about 700 plus just on the lens already. The balance will be for the frame. I will let you know more tonight when I’m back. Not working today😅

Eh.. I really have no idea at all. Made it 10 years ago. But I think it's non-brand one. Just took off my specs and can't see any marking on the lens. I don't remember choosing any particular brand. Only that it is progressive. Went for a comprehensive eye test recently, and that's where I got the readings. The doc there said my astigmatism has shifted n that I have early signs of cataract - hence the recommendation for transitions lens.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Gangsterkia,

Hi! so base on this, if you have been using something brandless so far, i think you can consider starting off with either hoya summit series or essilor comfort series but at 1.67 index to start off with. You will be looking at a price range of 700-800. But if you really ask me, i would rather you invest more in a better lens e.g. Essilor newest X-design lenses whereby it suits your full need for intermediate and near. It's been out for afew months and my customers that used that have 0 issue right now. So my confidence to recommend the lens Right now is really high. Their coating also is improved tremendously. But of course the lenses will cost way more.. probably 1.3-1.4 but think of it as a investment for the next 2-3 years? It is really worth it. If not then, the above mentioned of hoya Summit series or Essilor Comfort will be good enough for you.

nethdale

Reaction score
Dear Gangsterkia, can you share with me or PM me which optical shop in Singapore has wide range of Lindbergh collection? I Intend to make a news pair of progressive lens as my current frame is wrecked. Currently using Hoya summit true form(??) May I know what is the price difference between Hoya summit and Esscilor newest X-design lens? Thanks in advance.

sandeay

Reaction score
Hi! so base on this, if you have been using something brandless so far, i think you can consider starting off with either hoya summit series or essilor comfort series but at 1.67 index to start off with. You will be looking at a price range of 700-800. But if you really ask me, i would rather you invest more in a better lens e.g. Essilor newest X-design lenses whereby it suits your full need for intermediate and near. It's been out for afew months and my customers that used that have 0 issue right now. So my confidence to recommend the lens Right now is really high. Their coating also is improved tremendously. But of course the lenses will cost way more.. probably 1.3-1.4 but think of it as a investment for the next 2-3 years? It is really worth it. If not then, the above mentioned of hoya Summit series or Essilor Comfort will be good enough for you.
Thank you, Gangsterkia, for your recommendation. I was reading up on the Essilor Varilux x-series lenses. And I like what it says about good vision for all distances. Still considering - but probably go for it. Thanks again!

Jeanbob

Reaction score
Advices on lenses replacement?

Hi all,

I see there are many experts here and I would like to ask your opinion.

I stupidly broke the lenses of some recent spectacles (<6 months - bought overseas). The frame is slightly bent on one side but I am sure it can be unbent.

My lenses were Hoya with blue protection treatment. I looked at my invoice, the price I paid for the lenses (when I bought the new spectacles) was about $120, do you think I can get new lenses for about the same price here in Singapore or is it better to wait and get new lenses when I travel overseas again?

Thanks for your help :)

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Dear Gangsterkia, can you share with me or PM me which optical shop in Singapore has wide range of Lindbergh collection? I Intend to make a news pair of progressive lens as my current frame is wrecked. Currently using Hoya summit true form(??) May I know what is the price difference between Hoya summit and Esscilor newest X-design lens? Thanks in advance.

Its ok, can share with everyone. I not too sure regarding largest lindberg collection...But lens-wise, 1.50 summit series(hoya) will cost 370 while x design(essilor) 720. Trust me that X-design is really good, the reading range is really very wide. But if you want a hoya-equal type lens, you are looking at ID-Prime for hoya, or individual 2 for zeiss. As i think zeiss superb progressive is still slightly lower than x-design. Value for money wise, X-design takes the cake. its not the old crizal coat whereby it peels easily, this multi coat is better in terms of scratch resistance too.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I see there are many experts here and I would like to ask your opinion.

I stupidly broke the lenses of some recent spectacles (<6 months - bought overseas). The frame is slightly bent on one side but I am sure it can be unbent.

My lenses were Hoya with blue protection treatment. I looked at my invoice, the price I paid for the lenses (when I bought the new spectacles) was about $120, do you think I can get new lenses for about the same price here in Singapore or is it better to wait and get new lenses when I travel overseas again?

Thanks for your help :)

Whats your degree at the moment??

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Gangsterkia, for your recommendation. I was reading up on the Essilor Varilux x-series lenses. And I like what it says about good vision for all distances. Still considering - but probably go for it. Thanks again!

Good investment!!! I fully support:s13:

Jeanbob

Reaction score
You can get hoya stellify 1.50 blue control at that price or even pentax 1.50 blue. So no worries for you!

Thanks for your feedback :)

I think mine was 1.60 but I can't find the specs on the invoice. Any recommendations of an optical shop?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback :)

I think mine was 1.60 but I can't find the specs on the invoice. Any recommendations of an optical shop?

Where do you live?
Based on your degree, Stellify bluecontrol 1.5 is enough already unless you are choosing a half frame/frameless.

Jeanbob

Reaction score
Where do you live?
Based on your degree, Stellify bluecontrol 1.5 is enough already unless you are choosing a half frame/frameless.

I live in Paya Lebar and work in Orchard, anything in between or around these areas could do ;)

My frame is the Porsche Design P8288A, it's a full frame but it's very thin on the lower part:
105144681-2-IMG001.jpg

Last edited:

nethdale

Reaction score
Its ok, can share with everyone. I not too sure regarding largest lindberg collection...But lens-wise, 1.50 summit series(hoya) will cost 370 while x design(essilor) 720. Trust me that X-design is really good, the reading range is really very wide. But if you want a hoya-equal type lens, you are looking at ID-Prime for hoya, or individual 2 for zeiss. As i think zeiss superb progressive is still slightly lower than x-design. Value for money wise, X-design takes the cake. its not the old crizal coat whereby it peels easily, this multi coat is better in terms of scratch resistance too.

Hi Gangsterkia, thanks. The price of X-design is double that of Hoya. It is hard for me to stomach that price given I am the person who changes the spec every 3 years. With the frame, it would easily exceed 1k.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
How about using hoya dynamic premium? About 500 just for the lens. Works pretty fine too with the medium range corridor! Might be fine for you too!

Hi Gangsterkia, thanks. The price of X-design is double that of Hoya. It is hard for me to stomach that price given I am the person who changes the spec every 3 years. With the frame, it would easily exceed 1k.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.