Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
One thing to note: direct hotel website mostly won't allow free cancellation. I encountered it. Coz it was a few dollars cheaper than agod... Now I am stuck with that hotel - can't even change plan... Best is to pay a few dollars more and go for bookingDOTcom or similar sites. Of coz, if you are 100000% confirm, then book direct.

What I found out from experience is that if you book direct that allows cancellation (book now pay at hotel), the prices offered are the same as third party booking sites that allow cancellation (don't just look at the price that came up after search, the price usually doesn't include taxes). Any cheaper prices found on third party sites are usually prepaid - and prepaying is sometimes not even an option at some hotel websites when it comes to Japan.

Unless you have direct discount codes to apply for the third party booking sites, the prices actually are more or less the same with direct hotel website, under the same booking condition. Any considerably cheaper prices offered by third party booking sites are prepaid, while the higher price you saw at direct hotel website will be cancellable. (That's how it is 90% of the time when I do my research for hotels in Japan.)

ktee

Reaction score
Yes. It depends on hotels too. But in general, I feel that after going thru 1st filter sites like trivage, the rate is compatible. You can then go to hotel direct website to compare. Mostly it is not much cheaper. Free cancellation is important for me. As I tend to change plan base on feedbacks received, etc. Of coz, for price diff like $120, it is wise to book the cheaper option even without no free cancellation after you have selected and reviewed this hotel from tripadv, etc.

Another advantage of free cancellation: you can pre-book this hotel and change later. You don't feel pressure when you click that "BIG BIG" button of "Pay Now"!. Ha.

nemo88

Reaction score
My preference is to book direct with hotel as long as terms are equal - if any problem with the rsvn when you are there if using third party booking engine you gotta deal with their CS hotline if they even have one!

But sometimes the online sites have better inventory than the hotel’s own site.

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
During my first trip, I book thru hotels.com for my first night. End up realise that if I sign up online member with the hotel direct, price is cheaper. Went ahead and book my last 4N directly.

Proceed to screenshot that first night direct Hotel price and chat with hotels.com cso, they refunded me the difference of about s$35.

Reaction score
hi folks

intending to get the Takayama-Hokuriku Area, but wanna ask if its sufficient to explore Takayama and Kanazawa mainly. Any interesting place to go?

Also which area to stay overnight as the base to explore?

27267817019_5d31dededd_z.jpg

thinking to follow this person itinerary, but open to suggestions
http://kampungboycitygal.com/2017/12/6d5n-takayama-hokuriku-experience-itinerary/

thanks in advance

thwysg

Reaction score
hi folks

intending to get the Takayama-Hokuriku Area, but wanna ask if its sufficient to explore Takayama and Kanazawa mainly. Any interesting place to go?

http://kampungboycitygal.com/2017/12/6d5n-takayama-hokuriku-experience-itinerary/

thanks in advance

How many days do you intend to visit? And when? I had 4N in Takayama but that was during Takayama Spring Festival and 2N in Kanazawa, with a visit to Shirakawago. Plus 4 more days in Toyama and Noto area, including a visit to Kurobe Alpine Route.

Reaction score
You mean you’re just simply doing the trip entirely just on these two locations?
Open to the places recommended, shirakawago trip is quite confusing. Traveling around late Nov /Dec

https://www.japan-guide.com/bus/shirakawago.html

Sent from Sony Z4 using GAGT

naveen99

Banned
Reaction score
hi folks

27267817019_5d31dededd_z.jpg

thanks in advance

Depends on your schedule and if tight choose either Takayama or Kanazawa but do make a day trip from either one of these bases to visit Shirakawa-go. The Nouhi bus from Takayama which goes to Shirawaka-go also continues onto Kanazawa. After visiting Shirawakago you can take the bus towards Kanazawa instead of going back to Takayama. So technically you need 3 days & 2 nights to cover these sights if that is the barest minimum you can spare. 1/2 day of sightseeing is sufficient to cover the main sites in Takayama and Kanazawa. The maximum I would stay in both places (Kanazawa & Takayama) would be 2 days each if I opt for an easy pace.

Reaction score
Depends on your schedule and if tight choose either Takayama or Kanazawa but do make a day trip from either one of these bases to visit Shirakawa-go. The Nouhi bus from Takayama which goes to Shirawaka-go also continues onto Kanazawa. After visiting Shirawakago you can take the bus towards Kanazawa instead of going back to Takayama. So technically you need 3 days & 2 nights to cover these sights if that is the barest minimum you can spare. 1/2 day of sightseeing is sufficient to cover the main sites in Takayama and Kanazawa. The maximum I would stay in both places (Kanazawa & Takayama) would be 2 days each if I opt for an easy pace.
Thanks mate, read the nohi bus need to book in advance, would it be non Japanese speaking friendly to do so?

Sent from 穷挫矮胖永独 using GAGT

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thanks mate, read the nohi bus need to book in advance, would it be non Japanese speaking friendly to do so?

Sent from 穷挫矮胖永独 using GAGT

I booked nohi bus online. I don't know any Japanese either. They got English website ma.

awesomania

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have some questions on the Takayama-Hokuriku as well. Will be visiting Japan in December, flying in and out via Nagoya Airport.

Will be travelling with Family.

Here's the current plan I have.

1st Day: Nagoya
2nd Day: Nagoya (Planning to visit Nabana no Sato)
3rd Day: Takayama (Activate Takayama-Hokuriku Pass)
4th Day: Shirkawago
5th Day: Kanazawa
6th Day: Toyama? (Kurobe Gorge?) <-- Is it covered by the pass?
7th Day: Shinkansen to Osaka (Covered by pass) End of Takayama - Hokuriku Pass
8th Day: Osaka
9th Day: Kyoto
10th Day: Osaka
11th Day: Osaka
12th Day: Nagoya

1) Planning to base at Takayama from Day 3 to Day 6 and make day trip to above mentioned areas. Is the travelling time to long? If so, where will be a better area to base at?

2) On Day 6, is there any other recommendation of where to go that is included in the pass other than Toyama? Is Nagano worth a day trip to see the Snow Monkey?

4) Will be going in Early Dec but would love to experience snow. Any places I should go to boost my chance of experiencing snow?

4) Itinerary is still in the very initial planning and research stage as such most of the things could still be change.
Anyone who traveled on this route or used Takayama-Hokuriku Pass do share any tips or experience! Appreciate all the assistance.

Thanks all!

thwysg

Reaction score
Hi All,

Have some questions on the Takayama-Hokuriku as well. Will be visiting Japan in December, flying in and out via Nagoya Airport.

Will be travelling with Family.

Here's the current plan I have.

1st Day: Nagoya
2nd Day: Nagoya (Planning to visit Nabana no Sato)
3rd Day: Takayama (Activate Takayama-Hokuriku Pass)
4th Day: Shirkawago
5th Day: Kanazawa
6th Day: Toyama? (Kurobe Gorge?) <-- Is it covered by the pass?
7th Day: Shinkansen to Osaka (Covered by pass) End of Takayama - Hokuriku Pass
8th Day: Osaka
9th Day: Kyoto
10th Day: Osaka
11th Day: Osaka
12th Day: Nagoya

1) Planning to base at Takayama from Day 3 to Day 6 and make day trip to above mentioned areas. Is the travelling time to long? If so, where will be a better area to base at?

2) On Day 6, is there any other recommendation of where to go that is included in the pass other than Toyama? Is Nagano worth a day trip to see the Snow Monkey?

4) Will be going in Early Dec but would love to experience snow. Any places I should go to boost my chance of experiencing snow?

4) Itinerary is still in the very initial planning and research stage as such most of the things could still be change.
Anyone who traveled on this route or used Takayama-Hokuriku Pass do share any tips or experience! Appreciate all the assistance.

Thanks all!

Kurobe Alpine Route is closed by mid November.

Assuming you're using the pass from this - http://touristpass.jp/en/takayama_hokuriku/
It doesn't cover Nagano side at all. Don't forget winter means shorter day hours. Places close earlier too. I would choose to stay in Kanazawa, not as a day trip. Too far from Takayama. Shirakawago can be a day trip or an overnight trip from Takayama.

Nights

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Anyone been to the Arakuyama Sengen Park? Other then climbing the 397 steps to the top of the park, the map I found on the internet show another alternate path to the park where you can see Mt Fuji next to the Chureito Pagoda.

I plan to go there with my folks. Can anybody confirm an alternate path to go up to the viewing point without climbing the steps or steep slope? My folks legs are not good.

TIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.