[OFFICIAL] Fish keeping lover lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZedMaster

Banned
Reaction score
what kind of soil to grow plants in? or use sand?

Soil not so important. If you ask me, better to use cheap brand soil. High nutrient soil may cause other unwanted issues, like algae bloom at the initial stage of the tank.

What's more important is the balancing the quality of water, filtration and amount of lightings.

Those $1 aquatic plants you spoke about is useful for early stages coz that's when you have plenty of nutrients in the tank and those plants suck up lots of it. That's why they grow really fast, a nuisance. I prefer slow growing plants, like Nana or Anubias, and watch it grow every day. That's the enjoyment for me.

I have done a planted tank without any soil also. Still looks beautiful if you know how to set it up.

tankgunner

Mentor
Reaction score
if I put a brand new filter and let it run in a mature tank, how long it takes for the BB to be ready for this new filter?

Mila Azul

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if I put a brand new filter and let it run in a mature tank, how long it takes for the BB to be ready for this new filter?

At least 1 week? or you can simply move your old/dirty filter over to the new tank or just buy a betta put it in the new tank it will also help to speed up the cycling process

Ammonia(cre8 from uneaten food, poo, dead plants etc) is like food to the BB

when i accidentally switch off my filter i will use nitrifying bacteria it takes about 1 week to fully cycle my 4ft tank, how i know whether it successful is the smell, BB all the died the tank will have a foul smell after adding the nitrifying bacteria about 1 week the smell is gone

Mila Azul

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cheap plants dont auto equal easy plants....

Dont have to get expensive soil as they will useless in a year or two. DIY root tab and ur good to go. Cheapest way

Yah use diy root tab

51B57-ewAFL.jpg

Not my pix

wixxxx

Banned
Reaction score
not all plants need soil or base fert.
you need to know what you are growing.

Cheap plants dont auto equal easy plants....

Dont have to get expensive soil as they will useless in a year or two. DIY root tab and ur good to go. Cheapest way

Soil not so important. If you ask me, better to use cheap brand soil. High nutrient soil may cause other unwanted issues, like algae bloom at the initial stage of the tank.

What's more important is the balancing the quality of water, filtration and amount of lightings.

Those $1 aquatic plants you spoke about is useful for early stages coz that's when you have plenty of nutrients in the tank and those plants suck up lots of it. That's why they grow really fast, a nuisance. I prefer slow growing plants, like Nana or Anubias, and watch it grow every day. That's the enjoyment for me.

I have done a planted tank without any soil also. Still looks beautiful if you know how to set it up.

Yah use diy root tab

51B57-ewAFL.jpg

Not my pix

Noted......maybe put cheap sand for decorative purpose but add root tabs....want to focus on fish keeping not gardening too :s13::s13:

many thks for advice

Nemesismaster

Master Member
Reaction score
I think all filter types have their pros and cons. Really depends on filtration need of the aquarium, aesthetics and practicality of maintenance.

Canister has good filtration capacity but maintenance is more complicated. Not to mention, canister is also more expensive.

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT

Bro, for my 2 teir canisters, I used all B.B cultivation . The inlet in the tank I use sponge filter. Every 6 months I only open the canister once to change the foam on top of the canister. Inside quite clean despite 6 months never touch.

No hassle one bro. Just don’t follow the traditional method of canister first top teir filter and 2 teir BB cultivation . U will just dirty it very fast especially ur fish is slow eaters.

Nemesismaster

Master Member
Reaction score
The pro of canister is clean looking tank . When washing tank for few hours bb not disturbed. Well circulation of tank water no blind spots provided u used the right filter speed 5 times per hour rule applied . Ironically hassle/ maintenance free.

Con is electricity. For me I cannot tell the difference in bills when I don’t use cannister at all the whole month lol

Good filtration and water health for your fish. I put as con because Some fish I don’t like grow bigger and bigger and never seems to die ^^ in fact I have over 30 fishes at one time n no casualties for 1 whole year!

Unless u are keeping shrimps and guppies then no point going canister if not be a little committed, use a good filtration system n WC every week!

ljohn78

Reaction score
Bro, for my 2 teir canisters, I used all B.B cultivation . The inlet in the tank I use sponge filter. Every 6 months I only open the canister once to change the foam on top of the canister. Inside quite clean despite 6 months never touch.

No hassle one bro. Just don’t follow the traditional method of canister first top teir filter and 2 teir BB cultivation . U will just dirty it very fast especially ur fish is slow eaters.

Thats actually true and quite smart. How often do you clean the external foam filter? Also may i know the type and brand of external foam filter you using? Maybe a picture for illustration would be great. Thanks.

Nemesismaster

Master Member
Reaction score
Thats actually true and quite smart. How often do you clean the external foam filter? Also may i know the type and brand of external foam filter you using? Maybe a picture for illustration would be great. Thanks.

Thanks I learnt through the trouble some hard way bro .

The sponge filter I use is ehiem brand. It has a solid casing that holds your sponge and connect to the canister inlet. Get 1 more pair of sponge so that when u WC clean n squeeze those in dirty tank water. Leave the wet one aside and rotate to use the 2nd pair. This way for ages, your sponge will always feel firm n not soggy.

skytan13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually I tried before it is not really that fantastic
But it is confirm a upgrade over the old sponge filter , I replace mine with left over seachem media .

I bought the basic for $35 at seaview taiwan selling it for less than $17...

skytan13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Substrate , I use Amazonia also .
Why , just the system is tried and tested so follow accordingly abit dummy proof.

It’s expensive the bad part .

Mila Azul

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually I tried before it is not really that fantastic
But it is confirm a upgrade over the old sponge filter , I replace mine with left over seachem media .

Actually the wuwu part it's normal leh the original package also can make the poop wuwu

my k1

blCf2lH.jpg

Newbie12

Reaction score
Hi all

I am new. I have a 3ft x1.5 x1.5 tank. Abt 50 gallon. Is a ehiem 2213 sufficient? I bought it by mistake cos I Thot my tank is 30g.

It's a fresh water planted aquarium with some fish.

skytan13

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not really , but planted have a little bit more leeway . See ur bioload bah probably no issue just need to clean it more often else can add a hang on

Hi all

I am new. I have a 3ft x1.5 x1.5 tank. Abt 50 gallon. Is a ehiem 2213 sufficient? I bought it by mistake cos I Thot my tank is 30g.

It's a fresh water planted aquarium with some fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.