NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

pure.fresh003

Reaction score
going for EL EPT and medical does not guarantee a success.

the EL EPT is not cheap but its valid for 2 years though :(

huangsandra

Reaction score
MOE

Hello, everyone,
I was interviewed Pri Chinese last Friday afternoon and received the email from MOE this Monday afternoon. In the email, MOE wants to check my availability for the EPT. The date of EPT will be Aug 30. From my previous experience, after interview, usually we will hear from MOE after 4 to 6 weeks.
So I feel strange and nervous now, has MOE changed their application process? Has anyone else received the same email?

Taolun

Master Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone,
I was interviewed Pri Chinese last Friday afternoon and received the email from MOE this Monday afternoon. In the email, MOE wants to check my availability for the EPT. The date of EPT will be Aug 30. From my previous experience, after interview, usually we will hear from MOE after 4 to 6 weeks.
So I feel strange and nervous now, has MOE changed their application process? Has anyone else received the same email?

May i know if your interview was conducted mainly in english or mandarin?

Ha_08_Nie

Reaction score
Hi all, How do you know if your interview went well?

How does MOE let you know that you have not been shortlisted? Will there be formal email or just a status update change?

Dee@317

Reaction score
Hi all, How do you know if your interview went well?

How does MOE let you know that you have not been shortlisted? Will there be formal email or just a status update change?

Hi, there will be an email to inform you of the interview results. Usually within 4 to 5 weeks, as they said. Status in Career@gov will change as well but I also know of people whose status did not change. But they will definitely email =)

Last edited:

lwhjoyce

Reaction score
Any news on your application?

frankly, they are slowing down the recruitment process due to the merger of schools. Those teachers affected by the mergers will have to be redeployed to other schools first. However, teachers do come and go, hence so it is a long process for applicants sometimes.

don't give up. Hope you get it.

thanks for encouragement. They email me and mentioned that my current long term reliefing art subject in a primary school for 2 years..with testimonal fr my principal and HOD art dept..they still reject me..could it be the age..i already beyond 40 yrs old..

anyway..I just reapplied again for this last window for the year. Though it is for 16 aug to 5 sep. Does it matter if i re submit so early? or they will miss out my application?

Cloudy123

Reaction score
thanks for encouragement. They email me and mentioned that my current long term reliefing art subject in a primary school for 2 years..with testimonal fr my principal and HOD art dept..they still reject me..could it be the age..i already beyond 40 yrs old..

anyway..I just reapplied again for this last window for the year. Though it is for 16 aug to 5 sep. Does it matter if i re submit so early? or they will miss out my application?

Have you went for interview?

Ha_08_Nie

Reaction score
Went for interview the last round. Aside from the standard questions (why do you want to be a teacher, do you know there's a lot of admin work etc), there were a few questions that surprised me.

- They asked what I thought was lacking in terms of teaching my subject (English) in Singapore

- They mentioned that I have always been from good schools. Was I prepared that not all students will be well behaved if I were to be posted to a neighbourhood school.

- asked for my opinion about meeting students outside of school (related to my essay question)

From my experience they will question your answers and try to pick at them for loose threads. Apparently this does not necessarily mean you gave a 'bad' answer, since my arguments got nitpicked quite a bit but I got it in the end. Be prepared to defend your stance and be firm, but acknowledge other points of view. Hope this helps

I did not see this! Thank you so much for your input!

Ha_08_Nie

Reaction score
Hi All, Just sharing the questions the panel asked my friends last week. She applied for DipEd Untrained for Primary Art.

The questions that the panel asked her:

1. What makes you want to be a teacher?
2. Why not a Graphic designer (For those who studied in Lasalle, etc. Fine Arts, Design Com)?
3. Do you think you will be faced with challenges when you are a teacher?
4. What do you think are some of the challenges when you are a teacher?
5. What did you choose this topic to teach? (She chose to teach Impressionist Art to P4.)
6. A few questions about the Art syllabus 2009.

Hope this helps.

lwhjoyce

Reaction score
Have you went for interview?

nope.i have already received email from them that my application is unsuccessful. Anyway i have work for 2 years in a primary sch teaching soley art..most of my colleque has already told me to seriously reconsider if i really work full time like them.

redpenink

Reaction score
PGDE Untrained applicants with Degree (16 Aug - 5 Sep)

Hi all,

I am keen to apply for PGDE during 16 aug to 5 sep. (anybody doing the same?)

Hoping those that have passed this stage can share their views and what the process is like?

I recently graduated from a private university with first class and would like to teach economics and maths.

Thanks in advance! :)

b4zabeat

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am keen to apply for PGDE during 16 aug to 5 sep. (anybody doing the same?)

Hoping those that have passed this stage can share their views and what the process is like?

I recently graduated from a private university with first class and would like to teach economics and maths.

Thanks in advance! :)

I am applying PGDE for the third time in this upcoming window.

Last edited:

juggernaut7

Reaction score

Hi Joyce,
Do not despair, in my NIE batch right now, there is this chap who is 46 yrs old, teaching Tamil language & lit. I think yr age brings a wealth of experience to the teaching fraternity.
MOE also recruits ex SAF uniformed personnel who retires at age 45 as PE teachers.
So, age is not a factor here.
Only that now there is like 6 mths cooling off period after yr last interview as MOE is scaling down the recruitment process.

Keep on trying. All the best.

rosemance

Reaction score
Hi All,

This forum has been extremely helpful thus far to all hopeful applicants. Thought I should share what I went through too to encourage others, especially those in similar situation.

I am currently still waiting for the interview results... *keeping fingers crossed* and yes, the wait is a torture because it certainly doesn't feel good to be rejected. Nonetheless, I was rejected once before so am hoping things will work out fine this time...

A couple of things to share :
1. Yes, I believe there is indeed a cooling period of 6 months after your initial application. Other than the reasons stated in this thread, I believe it could also be because the interviewers are the same? For my case, three out of the four interviewers are exactly the same as the one I attended a year back, only the HR personnel is a different person.

2. Should you be rejected, you will receive the email notification that your application is unsuccessful about a month after your interview session. The status will also be updated on your careers@gov website. That was what happened for my case last year... Can't advice on if your application is successful.

3. The essay question this time was different. Last year, it was something along the lines of 'You realised your colleague is holding other jobs outside of school hours and is affecting his performance in school, what would you do....'. This time, it was 'You overheard a group of students discussing about how a fellow teacher gave hints to a student with special needs during an examination. What would you do....'

4. A few of the interview questions that I remember include 'If you were the principal of the school, what kind of target/achievement/experience would you set for the school?', 'Do you know what are the job scope of a school teacher?', 'What challenges do you think you will face in your teaching career?', 'Do you know what you are suppose to teach in primary school art?', 'If the Math teacher were to approach you to give up your art session as he/she needs the extra hours to finish the Math syllabus, would you agree?', 'How would you convince someone who says Art is not as important as Math?' etc...

5. You will be given about 20mins to complete the essay before the interview proper. I would definitely recommend for you to arrive at least 15mins before your scheduled interview timing as the time allocation is pretty tight and we often need that extra time to cool ourselves down, in my opinion. Remember to bring all the necessary documents, especially ALL your yearly CPF statements if you have been working.

Hope the above helps.

Last edited:

b4zabeat

Reaction score
Will getting relief teaching experience in schools help to increase the chances of getting accepted by MOE?

blahblahb

Reaction score
Hi all, do anyone of you know how long the cooling period will be? Will it be 6 months or 1 application window? I was rejected in the Feb window, will be applying again this coming Aug window but i dont know if i will be considered for this coming window.

lonely_driver

Reaction score
Hi all, do anyone of you know how long the cooling period will be? Will it be 6 months or 1 application window? I was rejected in the Feb window, will be applying again this coming Aug window but i dont know if i will be considered for this coming window.

6 months from the rejection email.

b4zabeat

Reaction score
6 months from the rejection email.

For my case, I applied first time in Feb and got shortlisted for interview, but got rejected in May. Followed by reapplying in May, straight get rejected without interview in July.

Does that mean that I count the 6 months from May? But I will still be trying out the Aug window for the third time.

Ridhwan1820

Reaction score
I attended the interview sometime in mid july. Hope i can get some answers here.

1) was told that it will take 4-6 weeks post interview to know the outcome. I have read through multiple entries in this forum and from what i understand, people who are rejected get to know the outcome first. Does this mean that people who are successful will only get to know it a bit later?

2) what is the current demand for teachers in MOE? Are JC and Sec school teachers more needed given the fact that pri schools are merging soon? Does that mean that people who have applied for primary schools will have a lower chance of getting in for the upcoming window period?

3) what exactly is MOE looking at in the hiring process? I have heard of people with first class honors and masters getting rejected eventhough they seem to think they had hardly put a foot wrong during the interview. Is the performance shown during interview > class of honors. Does class of honors even matter at all?

4) can anyone tell me the training involved in the allied educator (behavioural) program? Is it also very hard to get in?

b4zabeat

Reaction score
I attended the interview sometime in mid july. Hope i can get some answers here.

1) was told that it will take 4-6 weeks post interview to know the outcome. I have read through multiple entries in this forum and from what i understand, people who are rejected get to know the outcome first. Does this mean that people who are successful will only get to know it a bit later?

2) what is the current demand for teachers in MOE? Are JC and Sec school teachers more needed given the fact that pri schools are merging soon? Does that mean that people who have applied for primary schools will have a lower chance of getting in for the upcoming window period?

3) what exactly is MOE looking at in the hiring process? I have heard of people with first class honors and masters getting rejected eventhough they seem to think they had hardly put a foot wrong during the interview. Is the performance shown during interview > class of honors. Does class of honors even matter at all?

4) can anyone tell me the training involved in the allied educator (behavioural) program? Is it also very hard to get in?

I can answer your first 3 questions based on what I experienced/know.

1) I applied for the Feb window, had interview in early March, but was only rejected in early May. So that's about 8-9 weeks for them to reject me. I saw people from my faculty who passed the interview received the shortlisted email within 4-5 weeks. But there are people who are rejected within 4-5 weeks also. So it depends.

2) I feel that MOE is cutting down on hiring teachers. JCs and Secondary schools are merging too, just like the Primary schools.

3) I have being rejected for their scholarship, internship and now PGDE too, so I don't know what they are looking out for. Yes, I have seen friends with first class honours getting rejected. I think it depends on the subjects you choose and the number of vacancy available in that window too.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.