Wireless bluetooth EAR BUDS recommendations

blueye

Reaction score
Any current or ex-users of the Samsung gear icon x 2018 able to give their opinion on it? I like that it charges by usb c and the on-board storage, but have also read complaints online on how one side will sound very soft after some time

Just bought it and tested it for 3 days. The fit is great, subjective as it suits my ears.

Bass is decent, volume gets loud and overall sound is good.

Pretty happy with it so far.

musicsg_com

Reaction score
Any current or ex-users of the Samsung gear icon x 2018 able to give their opinion on it? I like that it charges by usb c and the on-board storage, but have also read complaints online on how one side will sound very soft after some time

I've been using it for almost 8 months already, on and off, due to many other review units coming. My favourite feature is the built-in storage so I can wear without bringing my phone to short runs. The built-in voice coach is also useful. No issue with getting soft, maybe because I never use that often - just once a week

Samsung_Gear_IconX_2018_4.jpg

The earbuds are soft and does not irritate my skin. The touch controls are fine and still works.

Only complain is that when pairing with some phones, the audio quality is very poor, because Samsung uses a proprietary SBC codec. But since I use it almost exclusively on internal storage, I can live with that.

Also, the outer casing gets a little sticky over time, a problem with products with matt coating.

Here's my full review: https://musicphotolife.com/2018/01/samsung-gear-iconx-2018-review/

musicsg_com

Reaction score
Hi, hv 2 newbie questions

- is it normal for Bluetooth iem volumes to b v low vs normal wired ones? Went to test a few diff models all r v soft except the one from Bose.

- between true wireless earbuds and those with a connecting wire betw left and right buds, what's the adv/disadv?

Thanks.

1. The loudness depends on the amp on the wireless. Theoretically speaking, wireless can deliver louder sound because they have independent battery and amp to power up the audio. Some models that have independent volume controls can even go higher because you control both phone volume and earphone volume, which adds up the amplification. The new Android OS has an option to separate the volume control, but may not work with all wireless earphones.

2. True Wireless vs. normal wireless. Other than sound quality, there are a few areas that you might need to consider:

a. How long can the battery last? Other than the time taken to drain battery, does the battery retain charges over time, and does the charging system continue to function well?

b. How good will the earbuds transmit audio to each other? Do they work well in environments?

c. Are the accessories easily replaceable?

The most important function of TWE, other than the audio quality, is the battery life. If the buds last only 1 hour, you cannot even finish a movie. Then you have to place them onto the case to charge, and meanwhile, you can’t use them. Then next question: how long do they take to charge? Hopefully not another hour.

The other important issue is whether both earbuds can receive audio reliably without any frequent dropouts. Interference will definitely occur once a while, but if it happens to frequently, you will probably get so frustrated that you will stop using them altogether.

The other consideration is the charging system. While most wireless earphones charge using standard micro-USB cables plugged directly to the earphones, TWE earbuds charge through a special case which is plugged to a power source via micro-USB cable. If the case stops working, or worse, if the charging conductor malfunctions, the earbuds will not be able to charge anymore.

Because with TWEs, the points of failure are more than standard wireless earphones, which are a little more than direct wired earphones. Therefore, it’s more important to ensure the TWEs you buy come with a good warranty program, or have replacement parts that can be purchased easily even after warranty.

Full article link: http://ask.chester.sg/should-i-buy-cheap-true-wireless-earphones/

hoks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and link, very useful. Sounds like shd go wif normal wireless, less issues. Even the sales guy was hinting to me yesterday.

doki81

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice and link, very useful. Sounds like shd go wif normal wireless, less issues. Even the sales guy was hinting to me yesterday.
owned Jabra elite sports..elite 65t...beoplay e8..all twe but non giving me issue..except elite 65t has the interference issue which I suspected due to design issue...normal wireless vs twe..I will take twe any time :p

Sent from LG-v30 Plus From Your Heart using GAGT

numan108

Reaction score
Are the earbud interswappable ? Or must wear L in left and R in right so as not to experience signal dropped?

Last edited:

doki81

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are the earbud interswappable ? Or must wear L in left and R in right so as not to experience signal dropped?
which one you referring...most bud design to be wear exactly at the certain direction..unless you have a very odd size ear...else I don't think you can swap the side of the bud to wear...

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A5000 using GAGT

hoks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
owned Jabra elite sports..elite 65t...beoplay e8..all twe but non giving me issue..except elite 65t has the interference issue which I suspected due to design issue...normal wireless vs twe..I will take twe any time :p

Thanks for the assurance...went to the shop again today and bought the Samsung Icon X. :)

hoks

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So far so good after 1 day.

- easy pairing.
- no drop outs betw left/right.
- not too fussy about sound quality but I realise if u manage to fit the buds in ur ears at a specific sweet spot the sound improves greatly.
- Some review says sound quality very bad if pairing with non samsung phone but I find it v good.
- fits very well in my ears.
- tapping and swiping controls are easy once u get the hang of it.
- can't comment on battery life yet since only used for less than 3hrs.

xenocide

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone has experience with Sansui TWE i17 or i23?
saw them on taobao

BT5.0
touch controls (siri and google enabled)
6mm drivers
water proof ipx4 and 7?

i dropped my PaMu and the right side now has audio dropout quite frequently and the LED has kaput also. haha

looking for cheap alternatives

Also saw this Havit G1W
BT5.0
5.8mm drivers
IPX5
what i dont like is the click buttons

numan108

Reaction score
I am referring to Jabra active 65t. I have experienced no sound from left side when I plugged them back after I took both out for quite some time.
I need to put the left earbud into the charger box,pressed down then it will work.

I am puzzled why it is like that. It seems like I need to put it into the box to turn it on.

QUOTE=doki81;116074625]which one you referring...most bud design to be wear exactly at the certain direction..unless you have a very odd size ear...else I don't think you can swap the side of the bud to wear...

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A5000 using GAGT[/QUOTE]

Seipher

Reaction score
Hi I've just gotten a pair of Jabra Elite sports and loving it. Just one minor issue.. it keeps telling me heart rate not detected every now and then. Any fellow users encounter this and any tips to have a more constant reading?

doki81

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi I've just gotten a pair of Jabra Elite sports and loving it. Just one minor issue.. it keeps telling me heart rate not detected every now and then. Any fellow users encounter this and any tips to have a more constant reading?
you didn't put the earbud properly is it? I never encounter this issue...

Seipher

Reaction score
you didn't put the earbud properly is it? I never encounter this issue...

Been trying the different size tips and wings. Been a hit and miss issue so hopefully this will straighten itself out with more usage.

doki81

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Been trying the different size tips and wings. Been a hit and miss issue so hopefully this will straighten itself out with more usage.
you know where is the sensor located?

Skyline34_

Master Member
Reaction score
finally jumped onto the wireless bud wagon with the elite active 65T

So far, my 2 cents:

- fuss-free and intuitive setup / pairing with my apple watch within seconds
- no noticeable lag
- pretty comfortable fit for running

however, i personally still find the price (> $260) a bit too steep for what it's worth.

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How much did you bought it for and where??

finally jumped onto the wireless bud wagon with the elite active 65T

So far, my 2 cents:

- fuss-free and intuitive setup / pairing with my apple watch within seconds
- no noticeable lag
- pretty comfortable fit for running

however, i personally still find the price (> $260) a bit too steep for what it's worth.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.