Android TV Box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah Xiaomi Box international edition seems to be one of the best choices if people want to use Netflix or high definition YouTube out of the box. Cheaper Android box may have more powerful hardware like processor (eg S912 vs S905X) but lack the necessary licence Xiaomi has.

As for those local Android boxes with questionable apps, it seems they still have values since people here compare the cost with Starhub/SingTel packages. It will not be easy for many to understand how to install all those apps or configure Kodi.

I just bought a few boxes to play with Armbian Linux, not a typical use case but they are cheaper compared to many maker boards. I do not care too much about GPIO either since I have two Raspberry Pi 3B+ there for that purpose.

Medicated Oil

Honorary Member
Reaction score
got new xiaomi androidTV box

Xiaomi-Mi-Box-S.jpg

https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/10/10/xiaomi-mi-box-s-4k-ultra-hd-android-tv-set-top-box/

It is a bit wasted as the new box offered not much difference from the old box.

teruanse

Reaction score
You mean the outlet from wall? No, we're going back to good old days of external antenna :s13: but this time for digital signal.

but i am still connecting the wall outlet antenna to my starhub box without any external antenna.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
but i am still connecting the wall outlet antenna to my starhub box without any external antenna.

The starhub box? You mean the traditional TV box, not the Android box right? It's a different technology altogether.

teruanse

Reaction score
The starhub box? You mean the traditional TV box, not the Android box right? It's a different technology altogether.

yap, the starhub box. didnt know its a different technology. just thought that maybe those digital box can somehow convert the analogue signal to digital signal instead of using any external antenna that all.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yap, the starhub box. didnt know its a different technology. just thought that maybe those digital box can somehow convert the analogue signal to digital signal instead of using any external antenna that all.

The Starhub cable TV box is digital.. do take note.

There are complain that some sales staff told some Cable TV subscribers that their TV box is not digital but analogue and thereby need upgrade to Fibre TV IPTV.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Saw your post about the Starhub Go streaming box. Hope you don't mind me asking a few questions. I'm keen on signing up too but still thinking.

1. Is your Starhub Go Family Live channels HD in 1080p or 720p?

2. Can you sideload APK using USB or Apps can only be downloaded from Playstore?
Sideload Apps link - https://www.facebook.com/groups/newt...9647374383469/
Sideload Apps guide - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRkyrNh_sWA

3. What's your impression on the box like the UI startup navigation, speed and quality? Any reliability issues or regrets?

Thank you!

My reply to a PM about the box,

1. They are in 1080p if you have sufficient speed. Most of the time, you'll need a cable connection, wireless connection tend to be unpredictable.

2. I haven't tried sideloading stuff but I think rooting it shouldn't be a problem.

3. Pretty good specs for the price and it comes with 6 months Go and Family so the box is rather cheap if you factor those.

Medicated Oil

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Saw your post about the Starhub Go streaming box. Hope you don't mind me asking a few questions. I'm keen on signing up too but still thinking.

1. Is your Starhub Go Family Live channels HD in 1080p or 720p?

2. Can you sideload APK using USB or Apps can only be downloaded from Playstore?
Sideload Apps link - https://www.facebook.com/groups/newt...9647374383469/
Sideload Apps guide - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRkyrNh_sWA

3. What's your impression on the box like the UI startup navigation, speed and quality? Any reliability issues or regrets?

Thank you!

My reply to a PM about the box,

1. They are in 1080p if you have sufficient speed. Most of the time, you'll need a cable connection, wireless connection tend to be unpredictable.

2. I haven't tried sideloading stuff but I think rooting it shouldn't be a problem.

3. Pretty good specs for the price and it comes with 6 months Go and Family so the box is rather cheap if you factor those.

Is the SH streaming box useless if I dun subscribed to SH Go apk any more ?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the SH streaming box useless if I dun subscribed to SH Go apk any more ?

The Starhub Streaming box is just another Android TV box > specification and the Box set-up guide.

The original high cost $199 are due;
(1) Includes over 50 Live TV and Catch-up channels from Go Family for 6 months (U.P. $14.90).
(2) Limited time offer of 6 months FREE Go Select (U.P. $9.90/month).
Taking into consideration on the above both cost this box would cost about $50 for the box itself.

swathe

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

boonkang

Reaction score
The Starhub Streaming box is just another Android TV box > specification and the Box set-up guide.

(1) Includes over 50 Live TV and Catch-up channels from Go Family for 6 months (U.P. $14.90).
Taking into consideration on the above both cost this box would cost about $50 for the box itself.

Can count this way? You are paying overpriced sub.

Do you know what you're getting from Starhub Go + Go Select subscriptions ??

If it's overpriced, then KINDLY please IMMEDIATELY advise..

What subscription to get -- that is (much) cheaper than the Starhub Go subscriptions -- AND CAN provide EXACTLY what you get from the Starhub Go + Go Select subscriptions.

I think A LOT of people will also want to know that answer ;)

Thank you very much.

valentines

Reaction score

If decided to stop the subscription, will it startup straight to Android TV or Starhub home screen? Not sure if it has option to choose default.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.