Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info
Status
Not open for further replies.

testingabc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks people for the posting.

Yes i agree DO NOT PAY THESE UML.

My family member stupidly signup and got into chaos with loan paid with high interest (usual story) in less than 1 mth but was kenna a force loan which indirectly affected myself.

Lucky stand firm even though first 2-3 days was like confused lost and scare but after reading all, i agree NO PAY THEM ESPICALLY THESE FORCE LOANS!!!! DUN GIVE IN TO FEAR.

UML dealing and handling them follow the protocol:
1) make police report
2) install cctv (can anyone recommend)
3) face it espically if you are innocent party, if debtor tear face value and humbly applogise and make sure change new leaf
4) change your mobile number close all accounts that is used for uml (DEBTOR)
5) NEVER GIVE UR ATM CARD / SINGPASS to UML
6) mentally prep that runners will come decor the door
7) mentally prep if u need to defend against the runners
8) DO NOT FEAR! THIS IS THE SAME AS WAR FEAR NOT THE ENEMY ESPICALLY WHEN WE ARE FIGHTING
thank all for the strong word of encouragement

yeah install cctv

mahjong saint

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My timeline so far.

Day 1: 17th Oct - I made contact and ended the night with the test transfer of 400$.

Day 2: 18th Oct - Received instructions to transfer 1280$ for processing fee. The curious part of me let me transfer 1k. Soon to realise I was fooled. End the night transferring the 700$ (400$+300$) to prevent any further engagement.
Got threatened and was asked to pay 2000$.
Said no and blocked al numbered.

Day 3: 19th Oct - AL called home and my NOK and some calls to my office line. NOK blasted them after I explained the true story. Went NOC and filed report.

Day 4: 20th Oct - Revieved 2 calls offering loans. Blocked one number and let the other one stay unblocked.

Day 5: 21th Oct - Anither missed call from the unblocked number but I missed the call.

Wondering if they change strategy in my case or they are preparing themselves to rain more harassment on me.

My NOK can get super fierce if she wants to. I can’t speak Chinese but she can so probably more effective.

In summary being firm and unyielding definitely works (unless you really owe them). At least for now.

No disrespect and you only mean well with your experience. But taking a drastic step to change numbers right away and closing accounts makes these *******s be in control of our lives one way or another. It’s just so damn disgusting that one has to change numbers for no fault of theirs. It’s not always easy to change a phone number that you been using for several years.

Well once if AL comes with proof of knowing your home or work address and stuff then perhaps yes. I would wait and watch while closing bank account along with police report as the first few measures.

your fault, or rather mistake, is when you initiated the contact with them...

it's like opening your doors to these AL/scammers/watever, and they come into your house and never want to leave again

lapcheongsap

Reaction score
Agree. It’s a difficult choice either ways.

In my case i decided to totally ignored any threats and messages including calls to my NOK and home. That happened on first day. Day 2, today I got calls and messages offering loans. All ignored. Not sure what else is coming my way.

But the ignorance and staying firm option works albeit with some unwanted disturbances.

Yes, aside from these that you mentioned, they will all eventually die off and resurface once in awhile.

lapcheongsap

Reaction score
Im afraid that they have all my info. So should i pay or should i return the 300 if the person message me today? Closing bank acct also very troublesome. But i will close it already.

Im trying to gather strength to get through this again. Its been tough last 2 years ago. Then this again.

Just tell them upfront, they have either option. Take the 300 back and go or come retrieve it from the police themselves. Thereafter, cut all forms of communication.

winster

Reaction score
Fully agree.

It’s feels strange and difficult to understand where all the sanity was hiding when I needed it most. Not it’s all rather easy for me analyse and think what I should or should not have done. But the cat is already out, damage is done.

On a positive note I will definitely take this experience as one of the best ever. An experience which I could do without.

I am now receiving very polite calls from numbers with country codes +7 (Russia) and +91 (India) asking if I need loans. Funny part is that if you look at the last 8 digits of these numbers they appear to be Singapore numbers with either 8 or 9.

Wondering if these guys first try and scam you to squeeze when they can and later try and do telemarket you a loan either a real loan or get you to think it’s real and prep you up for another scam.

They have a decent investment in all of this and so it’s highly organised mostly in Malaysia I believe.

This should be featuring on scam city show on discovery channel for sure.

your fault, or rather mistake, is when you initiated the contact with them...

it's like opening your doors to these AL/scammers/watever, and they come into your house and never want to leave again

lapcheongsap

Reaction score
Fully agree.

It’s feels strange and difficult to understand where all the sanity was hiding when I needed it most. Not it’s all rather easy for me analyse and think what I should or should not have done. But the cat is already out, damage is done.

On a positive note I will definitely take this experience as one of the best ever. An experience which I could do without.

I am now receiving very polite calls from numbers with country codes +7 (Russia) and +91 (India) asking if I need loans. Funny part is that if you look at the last 8 digits of these numbers they appear to be Singapore numbers with either 8 or 9.

Wondering if these guys first try and scam you to squeeze when they can and later try and do telemarket you a loan either a real loan or get you to think it’s real and prep you up for another scam.

They have a decent investment in all of this and so it’s highly organised mostly in Malaysia I believe.

This should be featuring on scam city show on discovery channel for sure.

For all you know, this have been ongoing since years back. And it has grown bigger until they could even advertise via facebook, tumblr and other social media platform.

yhs123321

Reaction score
Anywhere can have legal fair loan borrow ? Like yearly interest 20% , can pay installment 1 year or more.

MissAAA

Reaction score
For all you know, this have been ongoing since years back. And it has grown bigger until they could even advertise via facebook, tumblr and other social media platform.

They arw basically everywhere..in the world. How can they all sleep well at night

winster

Reaction score
The close proximity of our lawless neighbours who probably be thinkijg Singaporean’s are pretty gullible especially when it comes to money.

Am sure there are genuine Ah Long out there supporting small scale businesses without resorting to scams.

This ugly scam is a creative but ugly byproduct of the entire illegal ML business.

But surprisingly the local government has little to
offer in terms of protection nor is there any promise.

Because, it's good money. And low risk considered the jurisdiction difference.

MissAAA

Reaction score
The close proximity of our lawless neighbours who probably be thinkijg Singaporean’s are pretty gullible especially when it comes to money.

Am sure there are genuine Ah Long out there supporting small scale businesses without resorting to scams.

This ugly scam is a creative but ugly byproduct of the entire illegal ML business.

Well i do hope they can find a way to catch the real bosses. And not only the runners or workers.

Jjlin1205

Reaction score

I mentioned before some of them is doing deferred loan but tell boss that is weekly loan ...they will pocket the money

Aion99

Reaction score
LML came to office again last week, this is the second time they came. But now I don't have any single cent to pay them. Waiting for year end bonus, to gather the 2.5k needed for self declare bankruptcy. But still have 2 months need to wait, how to drag the LML until then? Boss already warned that if they keep coming to disturb the office, my job will be gone!

BaconHam

Reaction score
LML came to office again last week, this is the second time they came. But now I don't have any single cent to pay them. Waiting for year end bonus, to gather the 2.5k needed for self declare bankruptcy. But still have 2 months need to wait, how to drag the LML until then? Boss already warned that if they keep coming to disturb the office, my job will be gone!
Personal advise

Govt cant do much. U can call ministry of ml to complain that they r jepordizing ur job. Lml will step back too.

Let the lml knw u r contactable n in the midst of filing for drs.

They hate it n some will try to get funds back frm u because gg thru drs, they can only take back what u owe n over 5 yrs.

Dl call recordings so that u can have proof of their tone n stuff.

Last edited:

mahjong saint

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Sorry just curious... How did u land yourself in current state of near bankruptcy

Jjlin1205

Reaction score

How much u own to lml.lml is scarry I better do something abt it

kleong

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Have you tried talking to the lml? See if they can arrange for installment payment? Btw, are they aware of your plans to file for bankruptcy?

MissAAA

Reaction score

Is it legal to go to your workplace to ask for the payments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.