Android TV Box

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have a every elementary basic question.
If I have a TV that comes with a digital tuner, do I still need a digital antenna if I get an android TV box?

Would I still be able to watch channel 5/8 programmes without the digital antenna?

You will still need a digital antenna to receive signals over the air.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From my uds no. Unless there is a 2 in 1 device. maybe experts here can enlighten

Two in one device in this context means Android TV box with DVB-T2 tuner built in. They will still need the Antenna to watch over the air TV program from MediaCorp. And this type of boxes are in general more expensive.

Since his TV already has the DVB-T2 tuner, there is no point to buy the 2-in-1 Android TV boxes, just need to buy the antenna.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have a every elementary basic question.
If I have a TV that comes with a digital tuner, do I still need a digital antenna if I get an android TV box?

Would I still be able to watch channel 5/8 programmes without the digital antenna?

If you are using digital tuner of the tv, you need antenna.

But, if you are not using digital tuner, and use the tv with the android box, you don't need antenna. With the right apps, android box can give you all local channels, malaysia channel, indo channels, usa channels and many others.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would anyone know if the star hub go box can be used overseas?

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI 4X using GAGT

Ask StarHub? I think the streaming app most likely will not work. Then there is no point to buy this box outside of Singapore. But it should still work as an Android TV box like Mi Box.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would anyone know if the star hub go box can be used overseas?

The Starhub Go Streaming box is just an Android TV box (OEM version).

Starhub Go App and Channels/website only accept local IP Address.

For oversea access to Starhub Go App & Channels/website it will not work on oversea ISP &or VPN on IP Addresses.

This would be due to the need to login via Hub ID to access Starhub Go App &or website to watch.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Starhub Go Streaming box is just an Android TV box (OEM version).

Starhub Go App and Channels/website only accept local IP Address.

For oversea access to Starhub Go App & Channels/website it will not work on oversea ISP &or VPN on IP Addresses.

This would be due to the need to login via Hub ID to access Starhub Go App &or website to watch.

It should work anywhere in the world, just need to run vpn with singapore host before running the app.

But why need to do all these? they are many other better apps, either free or much cheaper.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It should work anywhere in the world, just need to run vpn with singapore host before running the app.

But why need to do all these? they are many other better apps, either free or much cheaper.

Yes as long as VPN with Singapore host should not be an issue.

Not sure why OP want this Starhub Go box as the cost is inclusive of the Starhub Go channels/dramas.

kaya14

Reaction score
Hahaha cos it's more convenient I guess. The starhub channels are what I want as well

kschew

Reaction score
Hi Bros here please advice me as I don't have experience with android box. I don't have time to watch TV but my old parents have so I'm trying to set up a cost-effective Android solution for them and not going the SH Cable box route (and I don't think they do cable box anymore from yesterday's news). Saw some $99 Micox but the quality of the streaming was very disappointing on big 55" TV especially compared to SH cable box for the same Chinese channels e.g. CCM, TVB..

Question:
1. If I get the SH GO IPTV streaming box do I get the same quality as their old cable box?

2. I prefer not GO box as subs is too high (CCM is from addon bundle) and they don't watch much except few Chinese channels incl CCM. Is there an alternative box with the same quality and include CCM?

3. I see Astro sub is only 100RM/mth and they send the apk to load on own Android box. Can it work here and will quality be as good as GO streaming/Cable box??

Thanks

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Question:
1. If I get the SH GO IPTV streaming box do I get the same quality as their old cable box?

2. I prefer not GO box as subs is too high (CCM is from addon bundle) and they don't watch much except few Chinese channels incl CCM. Is there an alternative box with the same quality and include CCM?

3. I see Astro sub is only 100RM/mth and they send the apk to load on own Android box. Can it work here and will quality be as good as GO streaming/Cable box??

Thanks

1) From what I see the demos, Starhub Go Streaming Box should be comparable to Starhub Cable TV (I have the StarHub TV Lite through the cable box) and SingTel TV (I am subscribing to SingTel TV).

2) If you need comparable quality like the StarHub cable TV, I am not so sure. Probably not easy.

You can Google “Facebook new tv box sg” to see some of the recommendations there. I just tried a few apps and to me TVB live TV quality is pretty decent from my 1080p monitor. You can try and see if you like the apps or not. CCM (天映经典)quality seems to be so so but I just tried one app. And I am trying this with my lowest end RK3229 quad A7 core based S$30 Box (2GB/16GB, not recommended, buy Amlogic S905W/S905X based Box better).

And I remember CCM under SingTel TV is so so too (occasionally SingTel will open up many channels for viewers, especially during Christmas time and Chinese Bew Year time so I watched them occasionally).

3) No idea. Is this official from Astro or some 3rd party? If they are from 3rd party, I would not think they are reliable enough.

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) From what I see the demos, Starhub Go Streaming Box should be comparable to Starhub Cable TV (I have the StarHub TV Lite through the cable box) and SingTel TV (I am subscribing to SingTel TV).

2) If you need comparable quality like the StarHub cable TV, I am not so sure. Probably not easy.

You can Google “Facebook new tv box sg” to see some of the recommendations there. I just tried a few apps and to me TVB live TV quality is pretty decent from my 1080p monitor. You can try and see if you like the apps or not. CCM (天映经典)quality seems to be so so but I just tried one app. And I am trying this with my lowest end RK3229 quad A7 core based S$30 Box (2GB/16GB, not recommended, buy Amlogic S905W/S905X based Box better).

And I remember CCM under SingTel TV is so so too (occasionally SingTel will open up many channels for viewers, especially during Christmas time and Chinese Bew Year time so I watched them occasionally).

3) No idea. Is this official from Astro or some 3rd party? If they are from 3rd party, I would not think they are reliable enough.

astro @100rm/month is from astro, but we can't use it outside malaysia. you have to install vpn with malaysia host if you want to run outside malaysia, or if you have friends in malaysia, set up a proxy server there.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looks like the market is good for Android TV box here. Previously I saw two pushcarts selling Geekbox and Mele in Jurong Point Shopping Centre. Now one more is selling T96 Mars box.

Do not understand why people keep buying this kind of boxes.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.