Unblock TV Discussion Thread II [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tips from Local Facebook group
“Those affected.

Go install DNS app from their playstore.

Tap on the app.

Then reinstall your UB app.”

I myself am against the idea of buying new UBox/EVpad/etc since you are paying majority of your money in the apps which may be blocked any time and the box is worth only about S$30-60 and seems the build quality is so so. But for existing users, since you already paid, probably it is a good idea to try methods to get it working. Join that group and you will get many tips and helps.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
“Those affected.

Tap on the app.

I myself am against the idea of buying new UBox/EVpad/etc since you are paying majority of your money in the apps which may be blocked any time and the box is worth only about S$30-60 and seems the build quality is so so. But for existing users, since you already paid, probably it is a good idea to try methods to get it working. Join that group and you will get many tips and helps.

normally isp don't use sophisticated method to block (conspiracy theory - high court asked them to block so they just show that it is blocked)

change dns to 1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1 or 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 will do

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
normally isp don't use sophisticated method to block (conspiracy theory - high court asked them to block so they just show that it is blocked)

change dns to 1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1 or 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 will do

Good tip. 👍
For non-SingTel users, it is easier to change your router DNS to the above Cloudflair/Google DNS server which is anyway good for performance and privacy reasons.

For SingTel users on ONT and own router, same method as above.

For SingTel ONR or those using ONT but with the default AC Plus router, out of luck, you can change only on the device but not so sure if that works.

Last edited:

liowdavid

Reaction score
“Those affected.

Tap on the app.

Hi May I know the link to the group? Would like to join. Having boot up issues. The box kept rebooting and hardly stays on. Now it kena block, am on M1.

liowdavid

Reaction score
Thanks. Have req to join, pending approval. I was wechatting the Ubox CS to solve my auto rebooting issues. They sent a file to flash into micro SD card, but need windows 7 to run it. Too bad I am a mac guy and can't find anyone with windows 7 to durn the card, Is there other way?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I do not have the box but from the Facebook group it says “澳洲专用” — specially for Australia as Australia government also bans UBox/EVpad.

Lol now the app name is “Australia Singapore”. 😄

Now it seems only M1 customers are affected but I tend to believe it just a matter of time for other ISPs to follow.

In Singapore the ISP only seems to block the domain name level and not yet on IP address so it can be easily solved by DNS server change.

Still lesson learned is not to rely on one app or one vendor which may be blocked any time.

In case for Australia the court orders needs to be in place in 15 days. And it is supposed to be also on IP address level.
https://torrentfreak.com/broadcaster-wins-streaming-piracy-blocking-case-in-australia-180921/

“Under the Copyright Act, the broadcaster asked the Federal Court to order ISPs including Telstra, Optus, Vocus, and TPG plus their subsidiaries to block access to seven Android-based services named as A1, BlueTV, EVPAD, FunTV, MoonBox, Unblock, and hTV5.

TVB’s application was unusual in that it not only required ISPs to block URLs, domains and IP addresses related to the technical operation of the services, but also hosting platforms akin to Google Play and Apple’s App Store that host the app.”

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Legal aspect of Android TV box in Singapore

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...g-devices-are-they-legal-in-singapore-9216202

Q: Are consumers allowed to view content from the streaming apps/services on these devices?

The IPOS spokesperson said rights owners of the content may take civil action for copyright infringement against those who access or download programmes for viewing without authorisation. This includes viewing the content through a computer, mobile device or a device that connects a television to the Internet.

As such, users of these devices should ensure they are accessing content from authorised content providers, he added.

“Needless to say, the courts will decide each action by copyright owners on a case by case basis.”

Mr Andy Leck, managing principal and head of Intellectual Property practice group at law firm Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow, told Channel NewsAsia that retailers have been known to blatantly advertise the pre-loaded apps as being legal when that is not the case.

"Therefore, consumers should watch out for red flags, including whether the pre-loaded applications offer access to a huge range of channels which are identical to the channels offered under legitimate subscription services, at a fraction of the price of legitimate subscriptions," he said.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...g-devices-are-they-legal-in-singapore-9216202

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
And you can try to get compensation in this case.

Q: Any legal recourse if the streaming services on the devices are not working, or stop working after a period of time?
Mr Leck said depending on the circumstances, the buyers may take legal action against the sellers for "breach of contract on the premise that the purchased goods are not fit for purpose".

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...g-devices-are-they-legal-in-singapore-9216202

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
And you can try to get compensation in this case.

Q: Any legal recourse if the streaming services on the devices are not working, or stop working after a period of time?
Mr Leck said depending on the circumstances, the buyers may take legal action against the sellers for "breach of contract on the premise that the purchased goods are not fit for purpose".

most likely the lawyer fee is higher than the money received, if you win the case.

Chevalier

Master Member
Reaction score
If i wanted a no frills box for my father in law. Just single app.

UBTV PRO?

Just Chinese content

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If i wanted a no frills box for my father in law. Just single app.

UBTV PRO?

Just Chinese content

Over priced for a S$50 Box and with only 1GB RAM.

If you mentioned this a few days ago you still have a reason for the curated stream in the live TV app and the support, now with local ISPs (starting from M1) start to block it based on high court order, there is no reason to buy it now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.