Wechat wallet

vuzuuu

Reaction score
Well , hopefully, the amount rmb I have in my wechat wallet can be used without any issues in China next month as I do not want to carry a lot cash over.

Could our Sg hp use their DIDI app in chn?

Yes that seems to be the way to go. I tried different ways to come to this conclusion myself since I do not have a Chinese bank account.

For my last business trip to Shanghai I was lucky to be able to use my Singapore Corporate credit card to pay all expenses in the hotel and cash for some lunch sessions but my colleagues pay most of the times. Then I was near to the company and walked to the office. One of the time they also pay for DiDi taxi (Chinese version of Grab) for me. I also paid cash for the subway— a bit inconvenient but doable, need coins.

Next time I will try to pay with WeChat (微信零钱) for food items. Studying too for other things. Cash is still usable but a bit inconvenient.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does it extend to other vendors that are not partnered with WeChat?

You mean AliPay? I believe it is the same you need to have a Chinese bank account.

You can add credit card to AliPay and pay for things like Aliexpress (need to double check ) but I do not think it is possible to use this Alipay in China.

In order to do real name Authentication, you need a bank card in China.

https://cshall.alipay.com/lab/help_detail.htm?help_id=252740

Details: for foreigners who have a Chinese bank account
https://walkthechat.com/alipay-foreigners-create-account/

Details of WeChat pay for foreigners who have a Chinese bank account
https://walkthechat.com/wechat-payment-5-reasons-tencent-might-kill-alipay/

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well , hopefully, the amount rmb I have in my wechat wallet can be used without any issues in China next month as I do not want to carry a lot cash over.

Could our Sg hp use their DIDI app in chn?

I do not think so. But I believe you can still get taxi and pay cash in bigger cities. I was lucky last time that my colleagues arranged most of the things for me, including transportation between airport and hotel.

Maybe some more experienced people can tell you more. And get local friends/colleagues to help if needed.

Edit: just tried you can create DiDi account using Singapore mobile number.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I do not think so. But I believe you can still get taxi and pay cash in bigger cities. I was lucky last time that my colleagues arranged most of the things for me, including transportation between airport and hotel.

Maybe some more experienced people can tell you more. And get local friends/colleagues to help if needed.

Edit: just tried you can create DiDi account using Singapore mobile number.

And Singapore credit card will work for DiDi. Need to try this next time.

https://medium.com/@anthonywu/30-didi-rides-in-12-days-on-a-55a116c58aa8

Edit to add: it is said once you add a foreign credit card to WeChat, you can use the wallet for the following: ctrip, didi, 12306 China railway, Jingdong, China Airline, etc, but not normal WeChat payment. WeChat Ang Bao is also limited.

虽然海外的小伙伴终于可以用微信支付了,可是针对海外银行卡,腾讯给出了限制,并不是所有地方都可以用。

绑定境外银行卡后微信支付可用于微信钱包九宫格商户及电商、O2O、旅行、出行等领域的合作品牌,有京东、携程旅行网、去哪儿、滴滴、中国国际航空、中国铁路总公司(12306)等商户。

转账和大额红包还是用不了......泪奔~

Last edited:

Slowdown

Master Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I am in SZ now and have been using my wechat wallet for small payment given that I only had few hundreds in my wallet (hongbao from friends).

I have not tried Didi. Will try to pay by my overseaa credit card that is tied to my wallet if I have the chance. So far MRT is very convenient in SZ.

And Singapore credit card will work for DiDi. Need to try this next time.

https://medium.com/@anthonywu/30-didi-rides-in-12-days-on-a-55a116c58aa8

Edit to add: it is said once you add a foreign credit card to WeChat, you can use the wallet for the following: ctrip, didi, 12306 China railway, Jingdong, China Airline, etc, but not normal WeChat payment. WeChat Ang Bao is also limited.

虽然海外的小伙伴终于可以用微信支付了,可是针对海外银行卡,腾讯给出了限制,并不是所有地方都可以用。

绑定境外银行卡后微信支付可用于微信钱包九宫格商户及电商、O2O、旅行、出行等领域的合作品牌,有京东、携程旅行网、去哪儿、滴滴、中国国际航空、中国铁路总公司(12306)等商户。

转账和大额红包还是用不了......泪奔~

vuzuuu

Reaction score
I would like to make a deposit to a homestay in China and asking me to pay her thru Wechat.
Could I use the Wechat wallet balance to make the payment. Give her one Ang Bao, is that correct?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would like to make a deposit to a homestay in China and asking me to pay her thru Wechat.
Could I use the Wechat wallet balance to make the payment. Give her one Ang Bao, is that correct?

Yes, just contact her to see if she accepts WeChat Ang Bao. Normally people will accept.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just saw the AXS app have a option of topping/buying Alipay purchase card. Anyone tried then use in China?

The one no use. I bought one a few years ago and still have not used it. It is meant for Taobao and only the web version of Taobao last time I checked (not usable for mobile version of Taobao). Now I forgot where I put the note and password liao, need to dig it out...

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cross-posted from the Alipay thread

Detail Alipay steps: for foreigners who have a Chinese bank account
https://walkthechat.com/alipay-foreigners-create-account/

Detail steps of WeChat pay for foreigners who have a Chinese bank account
https://walkthechat.com/wechat-payment-5-reasons-tencent-might-kill-alipay/

I tend to think WeChat China Wallet and Alipay China are meant for people living in China, including Chinese citizens and foreigner working and studying in China.
With the Chinese regulations you need to use real name for bank transactions and that is why the requirement for the real name verification.

Just like Singapore is more and more accepting Union Pay and WeChat China Wallet and Alipay China accout to attract Chinese tourists, more and more places will start to accept Visa/Master Credit/debit card but that takes time. And WeChat has opened up a bit to allow foreign credit/debit card to be added to pay for quite some services like Ctrip, 12306, Didi, etc. Hopefully Alipay will follow.

More and more Chinese service providers will also start to accept foreign credit card, an example is DiDi. But the process takes time.

There are loopholes in WeChat and Alipay so that you can use 3rd party (friends or colleagues who has China WeChat Wallet and Alipay accout, or 3rd party online services, or some shops in China), after that you can use the balance to pay goods and services.

But without real name verification, basically you have to live with various constraints and limitations and it is not really convenient. So in the mean time still prepare enough cash for your trip.

Last edited:

ilovetoeat

Reaction score
If status is verified leh, how does payment work for wechat in China?

If I ask someone from China send me some RMB, can I use that amount to pay vendors/shop owners in China and how to do it?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If status is verified leh, how does payment work for wechat in China?

If I ask someone from China send me some RMB, can I use that amount to pay vendors/shop owners in China and how to do it?

Real name verification needs China bank account and China SIM. In that case you can either pay through your China bank or the balance.

Even without the real name verification, you can still pay by the balance once you have the RMB money in the WeChat China wallet (adding a SG Credit card/debit card first before you can have the wallet activated).

Steps:
WeChat — Me — Money — Pay Vendor — OK

You will see the bar code and 2D code, vendor can scan your bar code or 2D code.

Your default payment method will be “Balance” if you do not have China bank card.

Desolation

Reaction score
Real name verification needs China bank account and China SIM. In that case you can either pay through your China bank or the balance.

Even without the real name verification, you can still pay by the balance once you have the RMB money in the WeChat China wallet (adding a SG Credit card/debit card first before you can have the wallet activated).

Steps:

You will see the bar code and 2D code, vendor can scan your bar code or 2D code.

Your default payment method will be “Balance” if you do not have China bank card.

Mine still asks me to add a bank card despite adding my cc

Posted from PCWX using SM-G955F

ilovetoeat

Reaction score

Steps:

hmm I don't have those but somehow, my name is verified. But still no way to top up my wallet then unless I get someone from China to top up for me:s22::s22:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmm I don't have those but somehow, my name is verified. But still no way to top up my wallet then unless I get someone from China to top up for me:s22::s22:

Interesting, you can not top up by yourself without a China bank card. Still you can always ask friends here to top up — I have quite some colleagues who can do that for me if I need.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mine still asks me to add a bank card despite adding my cc

Posted from PCWX using SM-G955F

Did you see Wallet in “Me —Wallet ”?

If not, adding the CC and then ask somebody who can send WeChat Ang Bao to send you RMB1 to activate the wallet.

If this does not work then I do not know how.

The whole thing is a bit confusing. I myself went through a few rounds as well.

Initially no CC added and was able to see Wallet option after changing language to Chinese. Can send/receive Ang Bao as well.

Later suddenly can not receive or send Ang Bao.

Later added Singapore CC and can send receive Ang Bao again.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So cool right. What is the most expensive thing you have purchased?

Nothing expensive, just bought some local food stuff, a few 100s RMB. Shanghai was too expensive for me.

Edit: colleagues in Shanghai mostly buy things from online stores like Jingdong, Tmall, Taobao , Yihao Dian, etc (other than fresh food items). They also say no need to buy things in the shops. End of edit.

Same for a few trips to Bangalore last year — things were too expensive for the big shopping center near to hotel and feel not safe to go to other places.

When traveling to US then yes all of us bought lots of stuff in Factory Outlet, usually several hundreds of USDs. But that was quite some tears ago and never really liked to go to US — long flight and the jet lag back and forth for a short trip was really tiring. Luckily no need to go after 2013.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.