Wechat wallet

dolphins_rainbow

Reaction score
I mean I can not receive from other people either through 红包 or 转账, but I can pay others through 红包 or 转账 or 二维码付款. I just tried all three functions and all worked without any problems.

This seems to be a loop hole that I can effectively top up through 二维码收款 and then use wechat wallet 微信零钱 to pay others.

But you need to activate wechat wallet function first and in this case it is not a problem since the wechat account is linked to a China SIM card number.
Woohooo. Thanks for the information xiaofan. It's really helpful!

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

MiloMocha

Reaction score
Indeed it changed in 2018
https://www.17chongzhi.com/article.php?id=27

So it was a loophole in 2017 that you can use Singapore Credit/Debit card and receive WeChat Ang Bao. The loophole is now fixed in 2018...

首先要明确几点:
1, 最新版的海外微信账户,是不能绑定海外国际信用卡的,只能绑定国内大陆银行的储蓄卡,同时要填写银行预留手机号。只有卡号和手机号匹配,才能添加。同时微信会发送验证码到该手机号,用户在微信上输入该手机验证码才能完成绑定!

2, 去年,也就是2017年的时候,有些用户可以不用绑定大陆的银行卡,而是海外信用卡,那时候的确可以操作。但是今年微信是不能绑定海外信用卡了,而是只能绑定国内的银行卡,这是因为海外信用卡存在拒付的功能,是一个严重的漏洞,微信之前没有考虑到国外的信用卡拒付是一个巨大的支付漏洞,由于用户可以像信用卡公司申诉信用卡被盗用,导致微信不得不关闭信用卡绑定的功能!

3, 对于微信发红包如果累计超过1000元,就要进行实名认证,实名认证必须上传中国大陆身份证,海外证件是无法完成实名认证的。

因此对于需要大额微信转账的朋友,无法完成实名认证的海外用户,只能通过第三方进行代付了!

Found this thread while I was searching for Alipay verification and was surprised to read the above post. Cause last week I received a refund from a taobao seller as wechat 红包 and was asked to verify my identity when I tapped to collect it, I was able to verify with my DBS debit card and was charged USD0.05 for the verification.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Found this thread while I was searching for Alipay verification and was surprised to read the above post. Cause last week I received a refund from a taobao seller as wechat 红包 and was asked to verify my identity when I tapped to collect it, I was able to verify with my DBS debit card and was charged USD0.05 for the verification.

Interesting to know this. So maybe the loophole is somehow back again.

Firstly you already have the WeChat wallet 钱包function enabled before you received the wechat 红包, right? That is the first hurdle now. Is your wechat account linked to a Singapore mobile number or a Chinese mobile number?

Secondly you can verify the identity still with a DBS debit card, that is very interesting to know now.

MiloMocha

Reaction score
Interesting to know this. So maybe the loophole is somehow back again.

Firstly you already have the WeChat wallet 钱包function enabled before you received the wechat 红包, right? That is the first hurdle now. Is your wechat account linked to a Singapore mobile number or a Chinese mobile number?

Secondly you can verify the identity still with a DBS debit card, that is very interesting to know now.

Yup, the wallet button was there quite some time ago but I did not bother until I received the 红包 and my account linked to SG number.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup, the wallet button was there quite some time ago but I did not bother until I received the 红包 and my account linked to SG number.

I see. Thanks for the info.

Your experiences triggered me to try again with another WeChat account linked to SG mobile number which has no wallet function enabled.

I sent RMB1 to this WeChat account and it triggered identity verification. Again I add the SG credit card and after adding it still complaints that I need to add a mainland issued bank card to receive Ang Bao.

So I think that’s it, failed again. But to my surprise the wallet function is now enabled. First hurdle cleared.

Since I cannot top up by receiving WeChat 红包 or 转账 from other accounts, I use my previously found trick — use 二维码收款 and again the trick works again.

Haha I got one more WeChat Wallet with RMB inside. Nice.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Now I see one difference, you are using a debit card and I am using a credit card. I should try that as well — need to check if we have a debit card at home.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now I see one difference, you are using a debit card and I am using a credit card. I should try that as well — need to check if we have a debit card at home.

Just tried with my wife's POSB debit card with her wechat account linked to SG mobile number, no difference, still can enable the wallet but not receive ang bao, again the 二维码收款 trick works fine.

So I think with the experiences so far the above tricks work and it is good enough for small transactions during short trip to China.

1) Just need to find a friend with a working wechat China wallet to send you RMB1 ang bao and then add your SG credit/debit card to trigger the wallet function. You may still not able to receive the RMB1 ang bao and it will go back to your friend.

2) Find the same friend or others to top up for you by using the "Receive Money" or "二维码收款" function.

Chinese menu option:
我 -支付-收付款 -二维码收款

English menu option:
Me - WeChat Pay - Money - Receive Money

3) After that you can use the balance 微信零钱 to send ang bao or pay street vendors by scanning their QR code using WeChat.

Last edited:

MiloMocha

Reaction score
Just tried with my wife's POSB debit card with her wechat account linked to SG mobile number, no difference, still can enable the wallet but not receive ang bao, again the 二维码收款 trick works fine.

So I think with the experiences so far the above tricks work and it is good enough for small transactions during short trip to China.

1) Just need to find a friend with a working wechat China wallet to send you RMB1 ang bao and then add your SG credit/debit card to trigger the wallet function. You may still not able to receive the RMB1 ang bao and it will go back to your friend.

2) Find the same friend or others to top up for you by using the "Receive Money" or "二维码收款" function.

Chinese menu option:
我 -支付-收付款 -二维码收款

English menu option:
Me - WeChat Pay - Money - Receive Money

3) After that you can use the balance 微信零钱 to send ang bao or pay street vendors by scanning their QR code using WeChat.

Actually, I am not familiar with wechat wallet....so all this complicated/confusing topping up is it due to we are unable to fund payment from our cards directly when using WeChat pay? Hence we need balance in the wallet for payment? And I recalled seeing somewhere regarding the 1000 limit?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually, I am not familiar with wechat wallet....so all this complicated/confusing topping up is it due to we are unable to fund payment from our cards directly when using WeChat pay? Hence we need balance in the wallet for payment? And I recalled seeing somewhere regarding the 1000 limit?

Yes exactly we can not pay directly from the bank account so we can only pay by the balance. We can not top up the balance through the Singapore bank card so we have to use all kind of tricks.

I used to be able to find offcial Tecent websites mentioning the following. But I can not find by google now, only 3rd party site. I think Point 1 is a moot point now (monthly limit of 1000RMB) because you are supposedly to have linked a China bank card to use WeChat China Wallet.

The following URL is about WeChat Ang Bao but I think it is the same for paying the street vendors with the balance.

https://zhidao.baidu.com/question/1...99881883?entrytime=1546246847367&fr=index_ans

1、未添加过银行卡的用户:
零钱支付额度为单笔单日1000元,单月1000元。若当月未使用零钱进行支付,即可发送单笔单日1000元、单月1000元的红包。超过额度可以添加银行卡完成支付;

2、已添加银行卡的用户:
限额为:单个红包限额200元,单次最多可发100个红包。同一银行卡限额单笔单日50000元;零钱支付限额单笔单日50000元。

3、普通红包和拼手气红包的限额:
无论是普通红包还是拼手气红包,单个最多只能领200元。

温馨提示:
如果银行卡单笔单日限额小于5万元,那么发红包限额以银行卡接口限额为准;

如果银行卡单笔单日限额大于5万元,那么发红包限额仍是5万元。

Last edited:

MiloMocha

Reaction score
Yes exactly we can not pay directly from the bank account so we can only pay by the balance. We can not top up the balance through the Singapore bank card so we have to use all kind of tricks.

Okay, now I understand, it's basically similar to Alipay then, need a China bank account to unlock the full features.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Actually you all can ask around to see who got excess rmb in their WeChat wallet, since they are stucked or don’t want to pay for the processing fee, so you can actually ask them to transfer to you, while you pass them the sgd.

MiloMocha

Reaction score
Actually you all can ask around to see who got excess rmb in their WeChat wallet, since they are stucked or don’t want to pay for the processing fee, so you can actually ask them to transfer to you, while you pass them the sgd.

On the other hand there are 3rd party top up services for both Wechat Pay and Alipay, including some based in Singapore. I have not tried them myself since I am happy with my current method of getting my relatives to help out.

Getting someone to top up for me is not a problem, my issue now is I cannot verify my Alipay account hence I am unable to use the balance in my Alipay. I tried adding POSB, DBS, BOC, and SC cards, all failed.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Getting someone to top up for me is not a problem, my issue now is I cannot verify my Alipay account hence I am unable to use the balance in my Alipay. I tried adding POSB, DBS, BOC, and SC cards, all failed.

I am not so sure how the third party service works. I can only guess they temporary bind your Wechat/Alipay account to a China bank card and then top up the amount for you, after that they will remove the temp card.

I myself have not tried to use 3rd party service. So the above is just a guess. Effectively you can then use the balance in your wechat wallet or Alipay wallet. If not they will be out of business very soon.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I am not so sure how the third party service works. I can only guess they temporary bind your Wechat/Alipay account to a China bank card and then top up the amount for you, after that they will remove the temp card.

I myself have not tried to use 3rd party service. So the above is just a guess. Effectively you can then use the balance in your wechat wallet or Alipay wallet. If not they will be out of business very soon.

Once your WeChat account is tagged to a valid china bank account, that WeChat account will not be able to use another bank account owner name anymore or tag your china bank account to it in future

Usually this 3rd party acct will add u as friend and then fund transfer or angpow you the rmb you want

SibehHL

Reaction score

If you are unable to pay or transfer the remaining balance out, I suppose an option will be to find a local Chinese with Chinese bank card to link his/her card to your Alipay account and transfer the $$ out.

This exercise will be worth it for a reasonably large amount, if it is for a few dollars perhaps just to leave it.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Once your WeChat account is tagged to a valid china bank account, that WeChat account will not be able to use another bank account owner name anymore or tag your china bank account to it in future

Usually this 3rd party acct will add u as friend and then fund transfer or angpow you the rmb you want

Hmm then the 3rd party service will not really work for those new WeChat sign-up which will not even have the Wallet Function enabled. And even if they link to a SG bank card to enable Wallet function they will not be able to receive from transfer or Ang Bao.

So how they are going to top up for the new foreign WeChat users without a China bank card?

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Have you tried to use Taobao (link your Alipay account to your Taobao account) to buy stuff with your Alipay balance?

BTW, how do you get the Alipay balance in the first place ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.