 Pay Discussions [Read first page for FAQ]

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
For me, my debit mastercard was replaced by the bank (UOB). My UOB mastercard in apple pay continued to work until the next working day, following which the fare readers refused to recognize my apple pay for tapping in already.
Maybe for credit card, it will be different.

ok i think apple pay can work with new expiry, but ABT can't.
after credit card expired and got a new card, recurring bill payments, apple pay and all can continue to work without any action from users.
but ABT need to remove and re-add the card.

Seederad

Reaction score
mobile ABT by LTA is a flop. the machines are slow to detect, if at all. failure rate is too high for confident use during peak hours. having any registration required at all renders it too complicated to use and for the public to pick it up.

I was in London last month and contactless payments on their gantries works flawlessly. detection was almost as fast as their oyster cards and it only failed once out of the 5 days of continuous usage. the best part? no registration needed. I used my UOB MightyFX to pay for the rides and it works just as I expected it to. The only downside is they can't display the full fare under the transaction logs but I think that's the limit of EMV payments for mobile.

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
mobile ABT by LTA is a flop. the machines are slow to detect, if at all. failure rate is too high for confident use during peak hours. having any registration required at all renders it too complicated to use and for the public to pick it up.

I was in London last month and contactless payments on their gantries works flawlessly. detection was almost as fast as their oyster cards and it only failed once out of the 5 days of continuous usage. the best part? no registration needed. I used my UOB MightyFX to pay for the rides and it works just as I expected it to. The only downside is they can't display the full fare under the transaction logs but I think that's the limit of EMV payments for mobile.

you completely missed the point. Its still in public trial phase. Of course there is a league of discrepancies comparing to london's. LOL

Evaluate again when its publicly launched for use.

Slavor

Reaction score
To be fair, I’m pretty sure the registration is just for the trial. If you want to track your usage on London’s system, you can also link your card in their ABT equivalent system.

I totally agree on the high failure rate though. I think it’s been improving on MRT gantries, but the detection on bus is really bad and you can’t stand aside and let people board like on MRT.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To be fair, I’m pretty sure the registration is just for the trial. If you want to track your usage on London’s system, you can also link your card in their ABT equivalent system.

I totally agree on the high failure rate though. I think it’s been improving on MRT gantries, but the detection on bus is really bad and you can’t stand aside and let people board like on MRT.

therefore to make things better, you users will have to feedback on regular basis. The number of registered users are high i believe, but those actually reporting constructive feedback only that few cats... :D

Seederad

Reaction score

i registered my physical card on the TfL app but the app doesn't show the usage on Apple Pay (I think because of the different numbers from the physical card).

yea i sincerely hope registration is only for the trial phase. And i kinda doubt detection rate can be improved from software side of their machines, because from what I can tell when I tap my contactless physical bank card, the latency is as just as slow but not as bad as when I use the phone.

My point is: if they want to enable mobile payments they should have taken the more official route: either work with smartphone manufacturers to enable mobile CEPAS (like mobile Felica) so we can load our ezlink/nets card into the phones like Suica, or switch to some other non-proprietary standards like felica or mifare (probably less likely, just to enable mobile payments?)

if they want to take the lazy EMV route, they should make sure their hardware/software is capable enough to detect EMV transactions reliably and quickly, or it'll just cause more problems than solving them

Fellowes

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Feedback to TransitLink regarding the ABT contactless limit.

Quote: "Please allow us to share that card limits is set by respective banks which is not within TransitLink control.

However, we noted on your feedback which has been highlighted to the Banks for their attention.

Thank you for your feedback."

AnDyLe0

Reaction score

the "no registration" here u all talking about is register for ABT account or register for apple pay number?

for apple pay detection on fare readers, improving is not enough for public launch. they have to find out the cause and solve it permanently. whether it's sensor problem, or data read/write problem, or card type detection problem, or bank etc.
now there are very few or almost no beta testers out there, dunno how they are going to fix it.
if they can't find out the cause and just improve a bit here and there, then mobile payment ABT will never make it.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
btw, anyone still using apple pay or mobile ABT now?
is it still showing red light everyday even if u tap the phone/watch nicely and steadily? lol :D:D:D

Slavor

Reaction score
I have to say it’s a lot better for me now. Used to be very scared of using on buses but it works quite well now.

u mean now using apple pay ABT will get green light every time and never fail?
last time we all get red light everyday until we all stop using it.

VodkaPear

Master Member
Reaction score
I have to say it’s a lot better for me now. Used to be very scared of using on buses but it works quite well now.

Ya, last time use mobile abt. keep kena red till scared n return back to card abt.

However, duno what happen in the last weekend. I scan my card into MRT and later on can't tap out. Go to the control station, they say they can't do anything. Try remove and readd card also can't. Go to machine, put my card on it and said error. Go pay for stuff using paywave also can't.

In the end call bank to request for new card, saying my paywave got issue.

coloumbiaGames

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Someone posted on money mind forum that there's a limit to 1024 taps.(Contactless)

Ya, last time use mobile abt. keep kena red till scared n return back to card abt.

However, duno what happen in the last weekend. I scan my card into MRT and later on can't tap out. Go to the control station, they say they can't do anything. Try remove and readd card also can't. Go to machine, put my card on it and said error. Go pay for stuff using paywave also can't.

zheyan

Reaction score
Yes still using on my iPhone X via Apple Pay.. think so far less den 5% failure rate for me.
Mayb it's the NFC area of d phone to d terminal that need to find d sweet spot to scan

u mean now using apple pay ABT will get green light every time and never fail?
last time we all get red light everyday until we all stop using it.

Slavor

Reaction score
Yup can confirm as it has happened to me twice. That’s why I now use the new bank NETS card with contactless function as my backup, hopefully got no limit.

Someone posted on money mind forum that there's a limit to 1024 taps.(Contactless)

tricolours

Reaction score
Tap on the top part of your phone.

Just tap using the top half of your phone if you using iPhone. It doesn’t work when you try to tap the middle part of the phone. The sensor of the phone is at top part. I have only 1 failure out of 50 tries. Me using iPhone X first gen.

sunset80

Reaction score
Do i have to tap on the reader, and then press power button twice and verified by face ID in order to pass through the gantry?

Just tap using the top half of your phone if you using iPhone. It doesn’t work when you try to tap the middle part of the phone. The sensor of the phone is at top part. I have only 1 failure out of 50 tries. Me using iPhone X first gen.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.