The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

Kenny fei

Reaction score
Staffan Preutz spectacle

Anyone can advise where to get old serial type or model of Staffan Preutz spectacle? Or anyone is keen to sell their used or second hand one can message me as well because I m looking for it. Thank.

joesph

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is eye check like Singapore polytechnic take 2 to 2 1/2 h?

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
is eye check like Singapore polytechnic take 2 to 2 1/2 h?

Yes, that is usually the case. The in-training Optometrist will first do the eye examination and test required before the supervisor will double check the results hence the duration. It might take faster if there is nothing suspicious e.g. eye issues.

Do take note that there is a small fee for the Test too, whether at SP or Ngee Ann Poly.

joesph

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is usually the case. The in-training Optometrist will first do the eye examination and test required before the supervisor will double check the results hence the duration. It might take faster if there is nothing suspicious e.g. eye issues.

Do take note that there is a small fee for the Test too, whether at SP or Ngee Ann Poly.
I mean, I'm referring to eye check done, like in eye zone etc, will it take 1 h etc?

surf2001

Reaction score
Hi, like to seek some opinion. I just made a pair of new specs. Frame $350. Progressive (level 2) & transistion & blue light. Zesis lens. Total $1250. My degrees for both eyes less than 250. Is this price ok ?

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, like to seek some opinion. I just made a pair of new specs. Frame $350. Progressive (level 2) & transistion & blue light. Zesis lens. Total $1250. My degrees for both eyes less than 250. Is this price ok ?

sounds about right .. nothing too out of the norm :D

kaixin18

Reaction score
I believe this is a common misconception about eyechecks.

Eyechecks are NOT done for free.

Most shop do it for ''free'' if you make a pair of glasses or Contact lens.
Our eyes are important just like our health. A good example is e.g. we see a doctor for a body/health check, we still have to pay a consultation fee or even for a quick check at the dentist.

We,Optometrist and Opticians also study, train and make sure we are qualified before coming out to the field to practice. Thus it's not some ''Chapalang''/unqualified individual that is checking your eyes.

Our eyes are really important thus we make sure that we put our utmost best in the refraction and analysis all the time.

I hope this clears up all about the notion too:D

sounds about right .. nothing too out of the norm :D

i need to make a pair of glasses for myself. I don't really want to go to Owndays. I feel like its overrated? is there any other places i can go to? which is cheap, value for money and not so pushy?

KingOfSbw

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi may i know what frame you getting?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
i need to make a pair of glasses for myself. I don't really want to go to Owndays. I feel like its overrated? is there any other places i can go to? which is cheap, value for money and not so pushy?

Hey there, which area of Sg are you more comfortable/accessible with?

Arsenaldude

Reaction score
Looking for Progressive lens

Currently using Crizal lens. I need to start using progressive lens as I cannot see near things clearly. Eg. on my phone. I need to take out my specs.

I am around 250-300 deg shortsighted, with some astig on both eyes, around 75-100?

Can anyone recommend a good progressive lens to start and that's not too ex?

I have a pair of Hugo frames hence I only need the lens, I didn't want to go Ownsday, the last pair that I made there, supposedly to block blue light. It turned yellowish after 6 mths.

I went to W optics and was quoted around 450 for a basic progressive lens from Essilor

And also if Anyone knows who still sells Tag Heur frames in SG? Thanks in Advance.

Reaction score
Currently using Crizal lens. I need to start using progressive lens as I cannot see near things clearly. Eg. on my phone. I need to take out my specs.

I am around 250-300 deg shortsighted, with some astig on both eyes, around 75-100?

I have a pair of Hugo frames hence I only need the lens, I didn't want to go Ownsday, the last pair that I made there, supposedly to block blue light. It turned yellowish after 6 mths.

I went to W optics and was quoted around 450 for a basic progressive lens from Essilor

And also if Anyone knows who still sells Tag Heur frames in SG? Thanks in Advance.

Hi Bro,

A pair of 1.50 index progressive lens with basic design starts from $180.
Depending on your needs, you can also choose to top up & have Add-ons like:
  • Higher index for even thinner lenses
  • Wider Angle lenses
  • Colour changing lenses (E.g. Transitions, Photochromic)
  • HEV Light (Blue) Filter (E.g. Asahi-Lite UV3G, Tokai Lutina)

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score

Progressive range from essilor are known as Varilux and they are pretty decent especially their X design. They recently came out with their sapphire coating which is really nice imo. gangsterkia also recommends it. Pricing wise chain stores usually are more rigid on it unless got special concessions.

Tag Heuer optical side already closed down already :/ the store i work at have some remaining models but unfortunately no warranty already . People who really like the design would still buy it but of course it is heavily discounted already :s22:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score

Hey there, What is your Estimated budget that you are comfortable with to work about for your Lenses? Then we can narrow the recommended options available for you.:)

lampPC

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey there, What is your Estimated budget that you are comfortable with to work about for your Lenses? Then we can narrow the recommended options available for you.:)

Based on your experience, is there any spec frames lighter than SwissFlex?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Based on your experience, is there any spec frames lighter than SwissFlex?

No. There shouldnt be anything lighter than that from my knowledge.

Apart from the material, the next factor to consider is the degree of your eye which will affect the weight.

Lindberg spirit/Air titanium also wont be able to match the weight of the frame.(as light as they are)

There are pros and cons of swissflex compared to other frames but to answer your qns, once again, Not that i know off at this point of time.(swissflex lightest)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.