[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanilpriya

Reaction score
My NAS cannot be accessed through network any more

No idea if you 411 is the slim or 3.5" type. Most likely is your nas going up lorry. Get another 4-bay Synology NAS slot in the HDD in same sequence.

It is 3.5" type. Bought in 2012.

iosnewbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a Synoloy 1618+ for home NAS. After reading some replies in this thread, it appears that Toshiba X300 is quite reliable while WD Red is a no-no.

I had past bad experience with doing a HDD RMA (can't remember if it's WD or Seagate) but I do remember having to drive all the way to some far out place in Changi to do the RMA process. Hence, ease of RMA would is important for me since I do expect HDD to fail at some point in time.

Is Toshiba X300 overkill as compared to Toshiba N300 for a home NAS just for storing pictures, movies, and backup of working documents? I don't intend to run any I/O intensive programs on the Synology.

Also, can anyone suggest a sweet spot for the HDD capacity with a good balance of $/TB and potential RAID rebuild times during a HDD failure? I'm hoping to start with 2 disks for RAID 1 then progressively expand to RAID 5 (3+1) and RAID 6 (4+2) if future budget permits.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a Synoloy 1618+ for home NAS. After reading some replies in this thread, it appears that Toshiba X300 is quite reliable while WD Red is a no-no.

I had past bad experience with doing a HDD RMA (can't remember if it's WD or Seagate) but I do remember having to drive all the way to some far out place in Changi to do the RMA process. Hence, ease of RMA would is important for me since I do expect HDD to fail at some point in time.

Is Toshiba X300 overkill as compared to Toshiba N300 for a home NAS just for storing pictures, movies, and backup of working documents[/]? I don't intend to run any I/O intensive programs on the Synology.

Also, can anyone suggest a sweet spot for the HDD capacity with a good balance of $/TB and potential RAID rebuild times during a HDD failure? I'm hoping to start with 2 disks for RAID 1 then progressively expand to RAID 5 (3+1) and RAID 6 (4+2) if future budget permits.

Would advise ds918+ instead of ds1618+ since u have no need for 6 disks bay anyway, for movies, with hardware transcoding capabilities is better, the price point for ds918 also better and since is a + u can expand bay by getting the expansion.

Additionally hdd space so big (16TB) these days.. no need many bays i feel.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Prices from Qoo10 (before discount)

4TB is $182.90
5TB is $239.80
6TB is $299

U divde u will get which most value for money now

beckz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sian liao.. my DS415+ blinking blue LED. Cannot access the DM liao.
This week got IT Show think need to replace it, as no more warranty. Any recommendation? DS1019+ seems ok..

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This week got IT Show think need to replace it, as no more warranty. Any recommendation? DS1019+ seems ok..

Using WD Red HDD?

fi5hbone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Likely to be. Toshibas likely to be much more reliable. Especially since HGST has been bought over.

Corytu

Reaction score
3GlQhDr.jpg

so glad I bought it :) :)
I basically give up cloud storage after reading this wahaha
https://sg.comparee.com/blog/productdiscovery/electronics/cloud-storage-vs-nas

Presto80

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Undestand that we can connect ip cam to synology nas. May i know if all brands of ip cam can connect to ds918?

bugis78

Reaction score

Might be HDD issue ..that trigger the system failed to boot.

beckz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How can i verify? Take out all the HDD n boot it up without any HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.