Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why online gaming need VPN? Not doing anything illegal, no need to hide. Performance is more impt.
why people always seem to have the impression that VPN = illegal / trying to hide illegal things???

so company requires staff to connect to company's system via VPN = the company is doing illegal things and trying to hide it?? lol

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

mun_hoe

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
use the routing table at the bottom under the openvpn client tab..

firstly please make sure you have reserved static IP for those devices..

the last radio button is a killswitch for the selected devices. if you select "yes", no internet traffic will be allowed on the listed devices if your vpn server is disconnected. if you select "no", then the listed devices will fallback and connect to the public WAN again.

the routing policy in this pic is set for the listed devices to connect thru vpn while all non listed devices to connect thru public WAN.

just need to click on source IP dropdown list to select the device, then click Iface dropdown and select VPN and click add.. destination will be auto populated as 0.0.0.0.

if you wish to do the opposite and have the devices in the list to have public WAN access while all others on VPN, select WAN instead of VPN under the "Iface" dropdown list when adding the device/source IP.

*edit* sorry forget to mention something important. you need to change the "Redirect Internet Traffic" option first before the policy routing table will even appear.. :s13:
https://i.imgur.com/ZRmBJXm.jpg[/mg]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/tfGO0YU.jpg[img]

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

10 chars

Last edited:

Jerroldscv

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Got some networking qns abt vpn

How can i set up my own home vpn? Is using raspberry pi the only method?

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, for windscribe there is an option to he connect to Singapore, which connection signal is best. What does this connection mean? Still shielded?
it means you are connected via windscribe to a VPN server that is nearest to you..

connecting to a VPN company's SG server when you are physically in SG give you a tunnelled connection that would be potentially be faster in speed and lower in latency.

connecting to a VPN company's <<far away country>> server when you are physically far from it would give you a tunnelled connection that would potentially give you very high latency and slow speed.

TL;DR.

the VPN "tunnel" that is covering you doesn't magically disappear just because you are physically in the same location as the VPN server you are connected to. in fact I don't see a reason to connect to other country's servers unless you require features like geolocation unblocking.

Sent from Samsung SM-G935F using GAGT

Jerroldscv

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it means you are connected via windscribe to a VPN server that is nearest to you..

connecting to a VPN company's SG server when you are physically in SG give you a tunnelled connection that would be potentially be faster in speed and lower in latency.

connecting to a VPN company's <<far away country>> server when you are physically far from it would give you a tunnelled connection that would potentially give you very high latency and slow speed.

TL;DR.

the VPN "tunnel" that is covering you doesn't magically disappear just because you are physically in the same location as the VPN server you are connected to. in fact I don't see a reason to connect to other country's servers unless you require features like geolocation unblocking.

Charlie
Mind if i pm u abt vpn problems?
I need some help
Maybe seek yr advice

MaoZeDuo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

TL;DR.

Many thanks!

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Charlie
Mind if i pm u abt vpn problems?
I need some help
Maybe seek yr advice
I can try but no promises especially if your "problem" requires too much effort for me to type out as a reply to you.. I am currently not in sg until someone around mid of April so I only browse when I have the time privilege of given time.

not sure if anyone else realised but windscribe's VPN server for Netflix Japan is now up and running already. :s13:

kChZgFb.jpg

**edit**
and WindFlix Canada as well!

so now windscribe have 4 Netflix Servers.
- US
- UK
- CA
- JP

8NGUzX1.jpg

Last edited:

Jerroldscv

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I can try but no promises especially if your "problem" requires too much effort for me to type out as a reply to you.. I am currently not in sg until someone around mid of April so I only browse when I have the time privilege of given time.

not sure if anyone else realised but windscribe's VPN server for Netflix Japan is now up and running already. :s13:

kChZgFb.jpg

**edit**
and WindFlix Canada as well!

so now windscribe have 4 Netflix Servers.
- US
- UK
- CA
- JP

8NGUzX1.jpg

No rush
Just pm u

urbanbootless

Reaction score
Charlie_Zhan, your ability to explain the workings of the VPNs is extraordinary, I tried split-tunneling only on App level and your images/walkthrough on how to do it on a router is 100% to the point, thanks a lot.

For Surfshark users you can find that they now support SmartDNS. I was somewhat surprised because I didn't think they'll release this feature at all, TBH I thought they will just start adding more servers. Anyway, if you login to your account on their web page you should see SmartDNS option available.

To put it short SmartDNS IMHO should only be used to bypass geographical restrictions because at its core it's just a proxy DNS. Meaning your traffic will be unencrypted and remain visible to your ISP or whoever is watching. But if you just want to bypass some geo-blocks then SmartDNS will provide you with better speeds for streaming. There's not a lot of info online how exactly SmartDNS works but I found some useful stuff here and here. I know Netflix bans blocks of IP addresses so maybe SmartDNS function will provide better speed AND a more stable access, not that I had any troubles bypassing blocks before while on this VPN.

Last edited:

mun_hoe

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Charlie_Zhan, your ability to explain the workings of the VPNs is extraordinary, I tried split-tunneling only on App level and your images/walkthrough on how to do it on a router is 100% to the point, thanks a lot.

For Surfshark users you can find that they now support SmartDNS. I was somewhat surprised because I didn't think they'll release this feature at all, TBH I thought they will just start adding more servers. Anyway, if you login to your account on their web page you should see SmartDNS option available.

To put it short SmartDNS IMHO should only be used to bypass geographical restrictions because at its core it's just a proxy DNS. Meaning your traffic will be unencrypted and remain visible to your ISP or whoever is watching. But if you just want to bypass some geo-blocks then SmartDNS will provide you with better speeds for streaming. There's not a lot of info online how exactly SmartDNS works but I found some useful stuff here and here. I know Netflix bans blocks of IP addresses so maybe SmartDNS function will provide better speed AND a more stable access, not that I had any troubles bypassing blocks before while on this VPN.

this is bestest!

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

glad to know that my rough and brief written guide and images could be helpful those who are keen to set up VPN on their router but are concerned that creating split tunneling to whitelist some particular devices would be too complicated.

ray12323

Reaction score
how can I use VPN.ac to watch chinese drama on iqiyi? I just paid for VPN.ac and connect to taiwan server but iqiyi & mi video can't load.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how can I use VPN.ac to watch chinese drama on iqiyi? I just paid for VPN.ac and connect to taiwan server but iqiyi & mi video can't load.

Wrong VPN to use for China content. VPN.ac is for people inside China to bypass the Great Firewall, not for people outside to go into China.

You have to use specific VPN like Transocks 穿梭 or SpeedIn 快帆 for China geo-blocked content.

That being said iQiyi has a Taiwan version and you can try that.

You can also ask VPN.ac customer service if VPN.ac can provide a mainland China server for you -- I doubt that but no harm trying.

ray12323

Reaction score
Wrong VPN to use for China content. VPN.ac is for people inside China to bypass the Great Firewall, not for people outside to go into China.

You have to use specific VPN like Transocks 穿梭 or SpeedIn 快帆 for China geo-blocked content.

That being said iQiyi has a Taiwan version and you can try that.

You can also ask VPN.ac customer service if VPN.ac can provide a mainland China server for you -- I doubt that but no harm trying.

Thank you for the advice. Already got refund for VPN.ac. Can I ask what's the benefit of subscribing to Transocks or SpeedIn other than ad-free? Is there a boost in speed as I find the free version of Transocks is able to load iqiyi at HD with ease already.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice. Already got refund for VPN.ac. Can I ask what's the benefit of subscribing to Transocks or SpeedIn other than ad-free? Is there a boost in speed as I find the free version of Transocks is able to load iqiyi at HD with ease already.

Transock got two version, ad supported version and the pro version.

If you are happy with the free version of Transocks like I do, no need to pay for it. The ads are not bad. And you get 720p which is the max you can get from those Youku/iQiyi/Tencent Video without paying for VIP.

On the other hand if you want better experiences, pay for the VIP for iQiyi to get 1080p HDR and no ads. Then you may start to see whether the speed of Transocks ads supported version is good enough or not.

For SpeedIn, the free line is not good and the VIP line is definitely better than the free line. You can try the VIP line for free in 30 minutes block by checking in from the Android version. Every check-in (once per day) gets 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.