harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
oh nvm lor ahah

he will pay someone to tt me in sgd :)

ice_angel

Reaction score
Also hit by the same issue. Today cannot receive red packet in wechat pay. While last month was still OK. Been adding a DBS Credit Card to the wechat to enable the wallet function last time. Now it seems like asking for a mainland China bank card.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
脸带笑容心悲哀nb心事xialangzai;119564231 said:
Same, can't receive the ang bao xfer from seagm also. Anyone know if make debit card from Bank of China how long will it take to receive the card? Can receive on the spot?

Take note the card from Bank of China Singapore (or ICBC Singapore) is not useful for wechat China wallet either.

madcampus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Take note the card from Bank of China Singapore (or ICBC Singapore) is not useful for wechat China wallet either.

Correct. Bank Of China is useless in Singapore. At AMK Hub, asked them I want to open account can link to wechat payment cos traveling to Beijing. Said cannot. Pui!!!

Nowadays I see all these payment modes with Alipay or Wechat in Singapore feel damn tulan. It’s like catered specifically for China visitors only. Whereas we visit China cannot use. ** lah!

kelhot2001

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Correct. Bank Of China is useless in Singapore. At AMK Hub, asked them I want to open account can link to wechat payment cos traveling to Beijing. Said cannot. Pui!!!

Nowadays I see all these payment modes with Alipay or Wechat in Singapore feel damn tulan. It’s like catered specifically for China visitors only. Whereas we visit China cannot use. ** lah!

I open a account in Shanghai using agriculture bank of china, they are more flexible , and thier remit amount is higher

GXFC91

Reaction score
Hi, just got my WeChat wallet. Any other method to top up wallet if not link to china bank? (Cannot received hongbao)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, just got my WeChat wallet. Any other method to top up wallet if not link to china bank? (Cannot received hongbao)

I believe no sure working way now.

Previously there was a trick to use QR Code to receive payment to top up. But recently (Feb 2019) it stopped working. You can try your luck. Scroll a few pages back for more info.

Try to ask if 3rd party service can help or not.

All in all, I think it is just easier to forget about WeChat China Wallet and Alipay China wallet if you do not have a mainland Chinese bank card.

What is your main purpose of getting WeChat wallet? Scroll a few pages for possible alternative solution.

wetdreamx

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I believe no sure working way now.

Previously there was a trick to use QR Code to receive payment to top up. But recently (Feb 2019) it stopped working. You can try your luck. Scroll a few pages back for more info.

Try to ask if 3rd party service can help or not.

All in all, I think it is just easier to forget about WeChat China Wallet and Alipay China wallet if you do not have a mainland Chinese bank card.

What is your main purpose of getting WeChat wallet? Scroll a few pages for possible alternative solution.

Am currently in China, thankfully I tied my account with my Chinese friend Credit card, but today kena prompt to upload ID. Can’t use SG passport.

Seriously felt so sh!t they are doing, so prepare Cash (RMB) bah as foreigner, or bring along your credit card.

SibehHL

Reaction score
Am currently in China, thankfully I tied my account with my Chinese friend Credit card, but today kena prompt to upload ID. Can’t use SG passport.

Seriously felt so sh!t they are doing, so prepare Cash (RMB) bah as foreigner, or bring along your credit card.

Ask your Chinese friend for another favor lor.... Use his ID

TheV

Reaction score
Hi,

just came back from Beijing yesterday. I went a few banks to try applying for a card.

1. ICBC Bank at 5th ring - reject immediately when enquire
2. Bank of China at 2nd ring - reject immediately when enquire
3. ICBC Bank at 2nd ring (Chong Wen Men) - Can apply but waiting time is 2 weeks. You leave your name/contact number to the bank, they will call you about 2 weeks later for an appointment to go down to apply for a card (mentioned too many foreigners on waiting list)
4. ABC Bank at 2nd ring - reject immediately when enquire
5. China Construction Bank at Terminal 3 Airport departure. Can apply on the spot but need Passport + Identity Card + Income Tax Statement.

All the above are enquired as a tourist on 30 days visa. I left without getting a card because I didnt have my ID with me.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

just came back from Beijing yesterday. I went a few banks to try applying for a card.

1. ICBC Bank at 5th ring - reject immediately when enquire
2. Bank of China at 2nd ring - reject immediately when enquire
3. ICBC Bank at 2nd ring (Chong Wen Men) - Can apply but waiting time is 2 weeks. You leave your name/contact number to the bank, they will call you about 2 weeks later for an appointment to go down to apply for a card (mentioned too many foreigners on waiting list)
4. ABC Bank at 2nd ring - reject immediately when enquire
5. China Construction Bank at Terminal 3 Airport departure. Can apply on the spot but need Passport + Identity Card + Income Tax Statement.

All the above are enquired as a tourist on 30 days visa. I left without getting a card because I didnt have my ID with me.

Good info.

It seems to me in the end only No 2 ICBC Bank at 2nd Ring seems to be possible if you can wait for two weeks. What documents do they require?

For No 5, I feel a bit strange about the ID Card and the Income Tax Statement requirements. Are they really asking for your income tax statement in Singapore? Or they are asking about your income tax statement in China?

For people on 15 day visa free to China, looks like very difficult to get a mainland bank card in big cities like Beijing.

juxtaposition

Reaction score
Lol even simple act of changing currency at bank also need income statement n employment status. But over here in SG, everywhere accept wechat/alipay. :s8:

havealaughclown

Reaction score
I agree la - Better to change RMB cash in Singapore since you will get better rate. And you can easily go to anywhere with out worry liao.

TheV

Reaction score
Good info.

It seems to me in the end only No 2 ICBC Bank at 2nd Ring seems to be possible if you can wait for two weeks. What documents do they require?

For No 5, I feel a bit strange about the ID Card and the Income Tax Statement requirements. Are they really asking for your income tax statement in Singapore? Or they are asking about your income tax statement in China?

For people on 15 day visa free to China, looks like very difficult to get a mainland bank card in big cities like Beijing.

I did not ask for more info for ICBC because normally I dont stay so long over there.

China construction bank mentioned that passport alone is not sufficient, need more documents to prove your identity thus requesting for IC. For income tax statement I assumed it is referring to our local statement.

There are much convenient with cashless payment especially their largest notes is $100. Usually I bring SGD 3000-4000 worth of RMB over and they caused a bulge in pockets.

For small amount, DBS remit offers $0 fee with reasonable exchange rates
For larger amount, Chinatown remittance company charges $18 per transfer with better than market rate exchange rate.

It is still worthwhile to try getting a bank card in China and remit money into that account for spending.

Many restaurants allow self-order for food. You scan the QR code using your phone to browse, order and pay.

The most annoying part is whenever you use cash, they will check the notes if they are counterfeit before accepting it.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I agree it is good to use cashless payment in China. Luckily my main wechat account is still working for wechat pay even though it is not linked to a mainland China bank card. But I am not so sure how long it will continue to work.

Cash is still okay despite the hassle. Anyway Wechat Pay and Alipay are getting more stringent so most of the people here will not get them working. So no choice has to use cash. Frequent travellers can try the dual currency bank card from ICBC and BOC since you can deposit RMB here in Singapore and get RMB cash from ATM in China.

Not sure if 3rd party top up service for Wechat Pay and Alipay are still working for people without a mainland China bank card.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.