Mastercard tap in TransitLink

ice_angel

Reaction score
seems like it's an nfc sim issue rather than a simplygo issue though. since you mentioned it happens for all your contactless payments. if it doesn't bother you that you can't use any mobile payments other than your nfc sim, then it's okay. don't think there are so many benefits to simplygo that you need to pay 40+ dollars to use it.

just an idea, i think if you just report your phone lost to the telco they reissue the sim for free. if you report it as damaged or would like to change it, then it's chargeable

Firstly, it is not the NFC SIM issues. It is the reader device issue.

2ndly, it doesn't happen for all my contactless payment. I pay restaurants and shops with GPay just fine. Because those readers doesn't take ezlink/nfp payment, only credit card payment. I only have problem with vending machines and jolly rides machines because they take both ezlink/nfp and credit card payment. And now, the MRT gantry readers too.

And for those readers that take both ezlink/nfp as well as credit card payments. The problem is they don't respect the contactless payment precedence set by the phone. Eg. my phone will set GPay as default payment. But if I launch any payment app in the foreground, the payment app will take precedence.

So, I expect if I don't launch anything, the charge should go to my GPay. If I launch Singtel Dash app (Or SPay with NFC Sim card added) in the foreground, the charge should go to my ezlink.

But this is not what happen with the readers. The reader seems to hardcode to take ezlink/nfp payment first. If cannot find any, then find credit card to charge.

So this is purely the reader firmware issue. Since the MRT gantry reader is under LTA control, I hope they are not using the same reader device firmware but develop their own and respect the phone payment precedence.

hyperbole

Master Member
Reaction score
Firstly, it is not the NFC SIM issues. It is the reader device issue.

2ndly, it doesn't happen for all my contactless payment. I pay restaurants and shops with GPay just fine. Because those readers doesn't take ezlink/nfp payment, only credit card payment. I only have problem with vending machines and jolly rides machines because they take both ezlink/nfp and credit card payment. And now, the MRT gantry readers too.

And for those readers that take both ezlink/nfp as well as credit card payments. The problem is they don't respect the contactless payment precedence set by the phone. Eg. my phone will set GPay as default payment. But if I launch any payment app in the foreground, the payment app will take precedence.

So, I expect if I don't launch anything, the charge should go to my GPay. If I launch Singtel Dash app (Or SPay with NFC Sim card added) in the foreground, the charge should go to my ezlink.

But this is not what happen with the readers. The reader seems to hardcode to take ezlink/nfp payment first. If cannot find any, then find credit card to charge.

So this is purely the reader firmware issue. Since the MRT gantry reader is under LTA control, I hope they are not using the same reader device firmware but develop their own and respect the phone payment precedence.

Well, unfortunately the reader issues will continue. I wouldn't think that LTA would develop anything revolutionary at this point

fr33d0m

Master Member
Reaction score
i suggest u can buy Apple Watch.
i tap watch to pay at merchants everyday, long time never use apple pay on iphone.

as for transit, the fastest is still put one ezlink/flashpay card in wallet then tap wallet. u can also put a single credit card with ezlink/flashpay function then this will solve the card clash prob.
as for Mobile ABT, those who have tried it during the pilot test know the tapping experience is not good... lol.

just add all cc to apple pay, then put 1 cc+cepas card in wallet for swipe.

Me peasant. Can't afford another i-device. Apple Watch is so expensive, compared to other smart watches.

chinnian

Reaction score
Exactly. Create mess for citizens.

Just take out the card to tap in and out? Which is what commuters should be doing anyway instead of tapping wallets/bags.

But oh, as there’re too many and mode of payments now, it’s so frustrating to remember what to do!

vsvs24

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dun see how it is creating mess. Think it does not really affect you if you are not using the new features.

Fine for me and those who know about it. No one else I know uses ABT. Some happily tap with wallet now for ezlink/NFP. So in Apr when they do that and if have say 2 mastercard inside also, might end up with multiple deductions ? These people blur blur won't even know has been charged. And blur blur don't know how to claim back.

Meatfactory

Reaction score
Fine for me and those who know about it. No one else I know uses ABT. Some happily tap with wallet now for ezlink/NFP. So in Apr when they do that and if have say 2 mastercard inside also, might end up with multiple deductions ? These people blur blur won't even know has been charged. And blur blur don't know how to claim back.

Then the blur ones will need to wise up and learn.

vsvs24

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then the blur ones will need to wise up and learn.

To be fair to them, this one a bit difficult. Say my grandmother use her senior citizen card for bus and mrt. I give her a supp master card for her to pay her polyclinic fees. She put both into her lanyard and tap on bus. Then both might get charge ?

chinnian

Reaction score

just out of curiosity. Anyone tried tapping a stack of contactless credit cards on a POS terminal when making a retail purchase?

Would there be multiple charge, or reader error?

hyperbole

Master Member
Reaction score
Will there be card-clash error in such case?

i once accidentally stacked my ez-link card and posb everyday card (abt enabled) together. when i tapped, the gantry showed an error but scanned the mastercard few seconds later and opened the gantry.

not sure if there would be an error if it's a mastercard with no ez-link function or there would be a double deduction.

vsvs24

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Whichever way it is going to be messy for those not using ABT from 4 Apr. If give error, will see jam at bus and mrt coz these people don't know why suddenly get error. If no error, might get multiple charge.

I don't see not registering being a convenience. I see it as inconvenience as those who don't want it might get hit unknowingly.

Expect an uproar. They will complain should go for opt in method.

fr33d0m

Master Member
Reaction score
Whichever way it is going to be messy for those not using ABT from 4 Apr. If give error, will see jam at bus and mrt coz these people don't know why suddenly get error. If no error, might get multiple charge.

I don't see not registering being a convenience. I see it as inconvenience as those who don't want it might get hit unknowingly.

My recent experience is that it will show error.

I stack my nets flashpay card with a visa card. It used to be okay, as Visa is not recognized. Recently I started to get error in certain stations. I have to take out my nets flashpay card to tap.

warehaws

Reaction score
seems there is really some pros and cons on this simplygo from April.

I really dont like taking card out of my purse just to tap.

Solution can be:
a) wearables - smartwatch (apple,samsung,fitbit)

b) NFC blocker sleeves - I tried but sometimes it blocks all cards.

c) Ezlink charms - do they have earing? maybe we just bend and put our face near reader

hyperbole

Master Member
Reaction score
thought of using my samsung galaxy watch but stupid design for samsung pay. need to activate samsung pay on the watch, key in a pin and then you have only 1 minute to tap. plus, i would need to wear my watch on the right hand.

will probably try with my phone.

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thought of using my samsung galaxy watch but stupid design for samsung pay. need to activate samsung pay on the watch, key in a pin and then you have only 1 minute to tap. plus, i would need to wear my watch on the right hand.

will probably try with my phone.

No fingerprint scan ah

PetPet

Reaction score

seems there is really some pros and cons on this simplygo from April.

I really dont like taking card out of my purse just to tap.

Solution can be:
a) wearables - smartwatch (apple,samsung,fitbit)

b) NFC blocker sleeves - I tried but sometimes it blocks all cards.

c) Ezlink charms - do they have earing? maybe we just bend and put our face near reader

Hi guys,

ABT/SimplyGo has been up and running since almost a year back. Even if you didn't sign up/whitelist your VISA/MasterCard back then. The card reader would still attempt to "scan" these cards if they are in your wallet.

And if it does, the reader/terminal would throw you an error when you attempt to scan multiple cards.

4th Apr is the day where you don't have to whitelist your MasterCards anymore.

If you have been able to tap using your wallet without removing your cards, you'll still be able to. Because the program is already in trial.

There's nothing to be worried about.

Source: I've been on ABT since it was introduced and I have multiple cards in my wallet and the reader produces an error when multiple cards are detected

Last edited:

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score
Whats the best cc for public transport nowadays? Be it ABT or ez reload or nfp. Im outdated. Thanks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.