What you should know about online vigilantism, doxxing and what it means for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
"The act of doxxing involves publishing of someone’s personal information such as their photos, contact numbers or employment details with the intention to harass, and it will be criminalized under proposed changes to the Protection from Harassment Act (POHA)."

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...-under-amendments-to-protection-from-11400756

My take: As penned in my important notes sticky thread, we've clearly cited what is acceptable and what isn't several years ago. Our TOS and rules cover the same too. What has changed now? Harsher penalties and a clear rule to leave out someone's personal details in a discussion. You can talk about the incident - but leave personal deets out. Else you'll face the consequences of my ban hammer and that of the law.

Here's CNA video that captures the new rule and what it means for online users very clearly:-

TL;DR version: If you've been abiding by our rules to-date, nothinig new, business as usual.

========================================================================================
Added on 31st May 2021

Here's some useful extra information pertaining to this topic.

Kaspersky privacy experts, with help from external experts, have created a short guide that will ease the risks and stress of data loss and diminish doxxing potential for a user. The checklist, which is split into three sections, addresses how to treat the data we do and do not control, such as browser activity and application tracking, and other people’s data that you may come across.

Head over to read more ==> Definitive Checklist: How to protect your data online

For a quick crash course or when you're done with the above, you can take a quick self-test here.

Last edited:

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Not really as most discussions in the forum are that of personal opinions - that isn't fake news. More useful inputs from the minister himself in this video:-
https://www.facebook.com/FabricationsAboutThePAP/videos/2083516135277948/

And we've been very harsh on fake/hoax news about misrepresentation - such as bomb scares and the likes. If we don't come knocking on the member, someone from the SPF/CID will anyway as it is harmful to the public.

What about fake news?

Any new policies on that one?

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Many things are grey, try to stay clear. zzz

WhiteHunter

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can we put confirmed scammers, conmen and other criminals info so as to warn potential victims not to fall for their schemes?

parklum

Reaction score
for example
luck draw will post name with last 4 digit nric

if someone exposed some scammer :s12: hp or nric with last 4 digit only, is it consider doxxing???

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Not really as most discussions in the forum are that of personal opinions - that isn't fake news. More useful inputs from the minister himself in this video:-
https://www.facebook.com/FabricationsAboutThePAP/videos/2083516135277948/

And we've been very harsh on fake/hoax news about misrepresentation - such as bomb scares and the likes. If we don't come knocking on the member, someone from the SPF/CID will anyway as it is harmful to the public.

Sooner or later, one of those ministers will decree someone's personal opinion as not an opinion but a statement of fact, and persecute him/her accordingly.

Even without the upcoming law, they are already doing that via "contempt of court" and AGC letter threats.

I guess after the bill is passed, there will be more of such incidents. :s22:

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's probably possible - as long as nobody is intentionally causing harassment.

I will pen this down to further verify this with the legal team.

can we put confirmed scammers, conmen and other criminals info so as to warn potential victims not to fall for their schemes?

PeckTiongChoon

Master Member
Reaction score
It's probably possible - as long as nobody is intentionally causing harassment.

I will pen this down to further verify this with the legal team.

so no more sharing of instagram acc / kym threads? just want to confirm...:o

Also, if threaten people to expose / CSI, is it considered an offence too?
Example
U never even tried programming how do u know it is your thing...

Is this a bashing thread?

Wow I'm amazed by the creativity of the bashing.

Pls csi this clone and let his identity be made known to public

Last edited:

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'll check on the first one :o

For the CSI remark, I would believe it is now considered an ofence unless you can figure a version that just says it in jest and doesn't imply any harm.

So you're quoted version is clearly a threat/encouragement.

However, if one were to say it like - "You wait ah, I go CSI chiu :s13:" - that's definitely a remark in jest. So the keyword is the context of use.

Just to disclaim - these are my interpretations ==========================================================

so no more sharing of instagram acc / kym threads? just want to confirm...:o

Also, if threaten people to expose / CSI, is it considered an offence too?
Example

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.