[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIN_JOEL

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Is HGST 8TB Deskstar still available in the market?
Cos I can't find it from Lazada/Q10 seller....

I'm using 2* 6TB & 2* 8TB HGST for my DS916+.

1 of the 8TB in Disk 4 used to have problems and need repairing once every few months but happened twice already for this week.
Therefore I would like to replace it with a new HDD.

zhix

Reaction score
Hi, I am thinking of getting the DiskStation DS918+ to act as my media repository and at the same time , backup the files in the media repository.. would this work ? Does the DS918+ have any apps that can backup the Media Repository to the Backup set of HDD ?

Or would I be better off, getting a 2 Bay Media Repository and another 2 Bay Backup as separate devices? Meaning get 2 units of DS218play , one to act as Media Repository and one to act as backup

All advise and thoughts welcome

918.png

Last edited:

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am thinking of getting the DiskStation DS918+ to act as my media repository and at the same time , backup the files in the media repository.. would this work ? Does the DS918+ have any apps that can backup the Media Repository to the Backup set of HDD ?

Or would I be better off, getting a 2 Bay Media Repository and another 2 Bay Backup as separate devices? Meaning get 2 units of DS218play , one to act as Media Repository and one to act as backup

918.png

Either way is fine.

Yes there is. You can explore hyper backup.

Based on what u have drawn, it looks more like RAID1 over 1+0? Also. Based on your diagram, i wont quantify it as backup. It is still raid with the single point of failure on the NAS

Last edited:

zhix

Reaction score
Either way is fine.

Yes there is. You can explore hyper backup.

Based on what u have drawn, it looks more like RAID1 over 1+0? Also. Based on your diagram, i wont quantify it as backup. It is still raid with the single point of failure on the NAS

Yes, the idea even if the NAS fails, the data in the HDD should still survive. if i can do this way, i can save some $$ on the additional NAS and electricity as well. Not sure if the logic is sound, but happy to hear opinions and suggestions

VoodooKing

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

918.png

Looks like 2 volumes. Can be be done but if your NAS fails, everything fails.

AwfullySmart

Reaction score
RAID 10 requires 4 HDDs (4-bay NAS).

For 2-bay NAS, RAID1 or SHR, then back up to another NAS, so if you lose the primary NAS, you only lose data that occurs from the last backup.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

zhix

Reaction score
SHi folks, i am thinking of revamping my media and backup system .. this is just a proposal at the moment but wanted to hear if anyone has feedback or advise on my proposed setup, thanks in advance for all advise.

NASPlanning.jpg

Last edited:

bornerwave

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, i am thinking of revamping my media and backup system .. this is just a proposal at the moment but wanted to hear if anyone has feedback or advise on my proposed setup, thanks in advise.

NASPlanning.jpg

your backup NAS is stored offsite? If it is it seems okay~ an idea is to potentially buy your 12TB drives as seperate batches to prevent them from failing together, but that is already counting the beans

if it is stored in the same place as your home, then at least put it behind a UPS, if not a circuit breaker trip is gonna potentially kill data on both systems, that is, if your backup system is turned on and perform backups when the blackout happens.

Then again, even with a UPS, a house fire destroys everything, especially with the prevalence of E-scooters and house fires becoming more frequent. Then again, at that stage, perhaps your data is not of your utmost priority

zhix

Reaction score
Nah, the backup NAS will be in the same place as the Media NAS, not planning to store it off at the moment.

however, I am planning to schedule the Backup NAS to switch on and off for a couple of hours every 2 weeks for the Media NAS to backup the data to the Backup NAS so the risk of having a power trip during that couple of hours should be quite low. I dont have a plan for fire risk though. Thats making me think further if I could host it elsewhere

and noted on the buying different batches of HDD .. been practicing that for all the HDDs I buy .

Thanks for the advise!

your backup NAS is stored offsite? If it is it seems okay~ an idea is to potentially buy your 12TB drives as seperate batches to prevent them from failing together, but that is already counting the beans

if it is stored in the same place as your home, then at least put it behind a UPS, if not a circuit breaker trip is gonna potentially kill data on both systems, that is, if your backup system is turned on and perform backups when the blackout happens.

Then again, even with a UPS, a house fire destroys everything, especially with the prevalence of E-scooters and house fires becoming more frequent. Then again, at that stage, perhaps your data is not of your utmost priority

AwfullySmart

Reaction score
I'd recommend burn in new hard drives, as this allows you to find many errors and get them replaced before installing to new systems.

As for backup (if they are critical), I'd go with offsite backup (Google GSuite, Amazon, Backblaze, etc,.) instead, as they are designed for maximum reliability and uptime.

midlusionz

Reaction score
Hi all i got the below issue, not too sure if you guys encounter it

Device: DS 918+
HDD: 4 x 4TB Toshiba performance X300
Status LED: Blinking orange
HDD lef (1 to 4): Green

When i get into DSM, It says my volume has degraded. So i went into Storage mgr and I see 4 of my HDD status is normal except Disk 1 is "Initialized" Not too sure what it means and there is about 2000 bad sector :<. So now the problem is.. Is my 1st HDD having errors? Or is it normal as per what DSM stated?

Nvm, just finish running smart test. Its failing

Last edited:

xinyong

Reaction score
Hi guys, my DS414 power brick died. There's no green led light on it when I plug in a new cable. Any place to buy a replacement unit?

Thanks in advance!

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my DS414 power brick died. There's no green led light on it when I plug in a new cable. Any place to buy a replacement unit?

Thanks in advance!

Go to Storage Studio or Memory World at Sim Lim Sqaure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.