Android TV Box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Only issue seems to be the SD slot doesn't work so I need to go to File Manager and copy from USB to Local before being able to run. Is there a way to remove Play Store nd Chrome icons from Home Screen? I can only add three of my own apps to home screen and they would be used more.....also better not to confuse family.

Micro SD card should work even though usually I use a USB drive. You may try to format the uSD card in FAT32 format to see if that helps.

Install ES File Explorer and that is a better file manager than the built-in one. You have to side load it now that Google has removed it from the Play Store. You can click an apk file in either the built-in file manager or ES File Explorer to install, no need to copy to the box.

As for Alice UX, I am not a fan but you can add multiple apps to the home screen, just that you need to scroll through the icons using the remote or air mouse. You can also add a few apps in the setting section as well.

BTW, the left of the screen will also show the recently used apps.

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Choo, problem is i am unable to find any SU files inside the system.... Any idea where to find beside there....

These are hidden files and they are at folders in device root directory.

For you, may be it is easier to use supersu to unroot

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
These are hidden files and they are at folders in device root directory.

For you, may be it is easier to use supersu to unroot

SuperSU is almost guarantee either not to work or brick the box based on my testing.

For my first box X96 Mini, install of SuperSU bricked the box.

For my Tanix TX5 Max, I encountered the error of "SU binary occupied" and no way to fix it.

But one user reported success with SuperSU on Tanix TX5 Max even with the error message. He was able to hide the root for some apps.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SuperSU is almost guarantee either not to work or brick the box based on my testing.

For my Tanix TX5 Max, I encountered the error of "SU binary occupied" and no way to fix it.

But one user reported success with SuperSU on Tanix TX5 Max even with the error message. He was able to hide the root for some apps.

You can't install supersu if your box is already rooted. You should have another app with similar name already installed. Use that app instead.

For some boxes, if supersu is already installed, it can be used to unroot.

All rooted box should have app similar to supersu to grant root access to selected apps.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can't install supersu if your box is already rooted. You should have another app with similar name already installed. Use that app instead.

For some boxes, if supersu is already installed, it can be used to unroot.

All rooted box should have app similar to supersu to grant root access to selected apps.

Unfortunately no. There is a binary called su and no app to grant or deny root access. Root access is just automatically granted for my boxes.

Probably only one box is different. I need to check.

Last edited:

Shawncck

Reaction score
you have to turn on root explorer option before deleting the files.

The safer way to unroot is via supersu.

run supersu, go to its settings page and scroll all the way down - you will see the unroot option. :)

Hi Choo, how to run supersu? I couldnt find the app.... u have idea?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Choo, how to run supersu? I couldnt find the app.... u have idea?

go to es file explorer, enable root explorer, enable hidden file.

then navigate to system|bin and system|xbin

post the screen shot of these 2 folders here, I can try to suggest which files to delete.

Shawncck

Reaction score
you have to turn on root explorer option before deleting the files.

The safer way to unroot is via supersu.

run supersu, go to its settings page and scroll all the way down - you will see the unroot option. :)

Hi Choo, do i need to install supersu? Cos i couldnt find any supersu app in my box....

Shawncck

Reaction score
go to es file explorer, enable root explorer, enable hidden file.

then navigate to system|bin and system|xbin

post the screen shot of these 2 folders here, I can try to suggest which files to delete.

Hi Choo, I saw alot files in bin but no super su.
I saw 3 files in xbin which is daemonsu, su, supolicy... Does that mean i have supersu installed? I cant find the app in the app manager

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Choo, I saw alot files in bin but no super su.
I saw 3 files in xbin which is daemonsu, su, supolicy... Does that mean i have supersu installed? I cant find the app in the app manager

yes, most likely these are the files. For some boxes, you need to change file permission to RW-R-R before you can delete them.

superuser is just a general term - your box may have app with different name - basically you need an app to prompt you if any new app is trying to access root , and you can decide whether to grant permission or not.

I suggest not to do it if you are not sure, unless you want to practise flashing of firmware.

Shawncck

Reaction score
yes, most likely these are the files. For some boxes, you need to change file permission to RW-R-R before you can delete them.

superuser is just a general term - your box may have app with different name - basically you need an app to prompt you if any new app is trying to access root , and you can decide whether to grant permission or not.

I suggest not to do it if you are not sure, unless you want to practise flashing of firmware.

Does that mean if i delete the file, the root will be gone?
Exactly... I want to practice flashing... have u done b4? any guidance... i see some video on net but was not confident...

Shawncck

Reaction score

Hi fan, for ur x96 mini, what happened to ur box after bricked? did u managed to get it fix?

Shawncck

Reaction score
Unfortunately no. There is a binary called su and no app to grant or deny root access. Root access is just automatically granted for my boxes.

Probably only one box is different. I need to check.

Me too... I cant find the app that root my max x2... That is why i dunno how to unroot it.... Fan, u manage to find out what root app u using to root your box?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Me too... I cant find the app that root my max x2... That is why i dunno how to unroot it.... Fan, u manage to find out what root app u using to root your box?

No. I gave up on this one. They just silently give permission.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No. I gave up on this one. They just silently give permission.

Zy3YHpW.jpg

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Yes I only came to know this after I installed SuperSU and got the boot loop issue. This seemed to be a common issue. X96 Mini was my first box, bought last August. I was playing with some maker boards before that.

Then I quickly recovered the X96 Mini box with the stock firmware and then never bothered to look at this issue again.

I only tried out to install SuperSU and Magisk recently again on my Tanix TX5 Max and TX6 (after downloading of stock firmware and prepared to flash firmware), both failed to achieve what I wanted to achieve. No brick of the boxes though.

SuperSU came out with the warning about the existing binary and not able to hide root from SingTel Cast and SingTel TV Go.

Magisk is a bit different but the end results are the same I am not able to hide root from the two SingTel apps. I also do not like the fact that it messed with the bootloader.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://androidpctv.com/tutorial-how-to-remove-the-root-of-our-device-easy-unroot/

Methods using SuperSU and Manual Method.

The above is for reference only, only for those who know how to recover and have access to known good firmware.

Another one with terminal. Basic concept is the same.
https://aubreykloppers.wordpress.com/2016/07/09/how-to-unroot-android-tv-box-quickly/

Edit to add:
All in all, it is better to buy a proper non-rooted box like Mi Box S and Nvidia Shield TV.

Many generic boxes come with root, it is better to buy those with a system switch to be able to turn on/off root, or a box with proper root manager app installed to prompt you to grant or not to grant root access.

The above links to unroot a box is for reference only. I think this belongs to more advanced topic and do not try it before you know how to recover.

And personally I have not succeeded to unroot my boxes myself -- you can say I am not an advanced user myself. Haha.:s13:

As mentioned my initial goals were the following.
1) to run small Linux on Android using Termux, goal achieved

2) to run ARM Linux without Android (dual boot, using SD card), goal achieved for two boxes, X96 Mini S905W box and H96 Pro+ S912 box

3) to play with Android TV boxes for Chinese Entertainment (goal achieved),

4) to learn more about Android itself (partially achieved).

First goal required root access for generic USB device access using libusb.

Second goal is also easier with rooted box.

Third goal does not really need root.

For the fourth goal, it is good to have a rooted box to know the internal file structures.

Therefore my boxes are mostly rooted now. I will try again to see if I can unroot the few boxes I have known good ROMs -- X96 Mini, Tanix TX5 Max and Tanix TX6. I will try to get known good ROM for my H96 Pro+ and H96 Max+. I have ROMs for the two but there are quite some versions so I am not so sure which one to try.

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes I only came to know this after I installed SuperSU and got the boot loop issue. This seemed to be a common issue. X96 Mini was my first box, bought last August. I was playing with some maker boards before that.

Then I quickly recovered the X96 Mini box with the stock firmware and then never bothered to look at this issue again.

I only tried out to install SuperSU and Magisk recently again on my Tanix TX5 Max and TX6 (after downloading of stock firmware and prepared to flash firmware), both failed to achieve what I wanted to achieve. No brick of the boxes though.

SuperSU came out with the warning about the existing binary and not able to hide root from SingTel Cast and SingTel TV Go.

Magisk is a bit different but the end results are the same I am not able to hide root from the two SingTel apps. I also do not like the fact that it messed with the bootloader.

The point is installation of supersu.apk or superuser.apk will not brick the box, just remember not to update binary when prompted.

I can use superuser app to unroot the box easily. But not sure about this box as i dont have one with me at the moment.

It is very risky if the box can grant access to all apps without asking.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The point is installation of supersu.apk or superuser.apk will not brick the box, just remember not to update binary when prompted.

I can use superuser app to unroot the box easily. But not sure about this box as i dont have one with me at the moment.

It is very risky if the box can grant access to all apps without asking.

Point taken. That is also why I use one a few apps on the TV boxes.

Maybe I will try SuperSU again on my boxes, for the boxes I have access to known good stock firmware.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.