Wechat wallet

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
07WSOjF.jpg

Anyone received this notification, and will once verified enable WeChat wallet and will not need for a china credit card anymore?

WeChat wallet already enable but cannot receive fund due to no China cc now

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone received this notification, and will once verified enable WeChat wallet and will not need for a china credit card anymore?

WeChat wallet already enable but cannot receive fund due to no China cc now

I believe this is not really useful if you do not have a mainland China bank card. A few users have tried before.

I believe this is actually for foreigners living in China. They still need to get a mainland bank card to use WeChat Pay.

But it is not totally useless either if you add a Singapore credit card. It is said to be useful with some limited WeChat partners like DiDi and Ctrip and Air China and China Railway.

Ref:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/m/beijing/zhongguancun/2019-01/09/content_37425026.htm

How can foreigners use WeChat Pay?
( chinadaily.com.cn )
Updated: 2019-01-09
At present, WeChat Pay covers more than 300 banks, and supports several overseas credit cards, including JCB, VISA and Mastercard, which means Tencent users will have two mobile payment options.

The first is for users who have a mainland bank card. At present, WeChat Pay and Tenpay support the binding of the savings cards and credit cards of more than 70 banks by using mainland residents' ID cards, passports, Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents, and Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents. With any of the above documents and a bank card within the support range, users can easily open WeChat Pay for online and offline consumption.

The second is for users who don't have mainland bank cards. By binding Visa, Mastercard or JCB credit card through regular card-binding methods, users who don't have mainland bank cards can use WeChat Pay in WeChat Wallet's merchants and cooperative brands in e-commerce, O2O, travel, trip, including JDcom, Ctrip, Qunar, Didi, Air China, China Railway Corporation (12306).

Last edited:

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I believe this is not really useful if you do not have a mainland China bank card. A few users have tried before.

I believe this is actually for foreigners living in China. They still need to get a mainland bank card to use WeChat Pay.

But it is not totally useless either if you add a Singapore credit card. It is said to be useful with some limited WeChat partners like DiDi and Ctrip and Aur China and China Railway.

Ref:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/m/beijing/zhongguancun/2019-01/09/content_37425026.htm

( chinadaily.com.cn )
Updated: 2019-01-09
At present, WeChat Pay covers more than 300 banks, and supports several overseas credit cards, including JCB, VISA and Mastercard, which means Tencent users will have two mobile payment options.

The first is for users who have a mainland bank card. At present, WeChat Pay and Tenpay support the binding of the savings cards and credit cards of more than 70 banks by using mainland residents' ID cards, passports, Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents, and Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents. With any of the above documents and a bank card within the support range, users can easily open WeChat Pay for online and offline consumption.

The second is for users who don't have mainland bank cards. By binding Visa, Mastercard or JCB credit card through regular card-binding methods, users who don't have mainland bank cards can use WeChat Pay in WeChat Wallet's merchants and cooperative brands in e-commerce, O2O, travel, trip, including JDcom, Ctrip, Qunar, Didi, Air China, China Railway Corporation (12306).

Which sg credit card can use now to verify?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which sg credit card can use now to verify?

All Visa/Master cards should be okay. I am using a OCBC MasterCard myself.

The article has detailed instructions. Try it.

Currently, the second type of WeChat Pay only supports consumption, and cannot be used for general transfer and sending red envelopes. However, it can be used for making payments to store owners through the static barcode posted in the stores (note: not street vendors, rather those WeChat Partners listed in the wechat app).

WeChat Pay currently only supports overseas credit cards. You need to verify the card number, expiration date, CVN2, and American and Canadian users need to verify the billing address while binding. Then you will receive a SMS verification code on the phone number you just filled in. After verification, you need to create a 6-digit payment password before you can use the services.

Last edited:

Myu~sun

Master Member
Reaction score

Currently, the second type of WeChat Pay only supports consumption, and cannot be used for general transfer and sending red envelopes. However, it can be used for making payments to store owners through the static barcode posted in the stores (note: not street vendors, rather those WeChat Partners listed in the wechat app).

WeChat Pay currently only supports overseas credit cards. You need to verify the card number, expiration date, CVN2, and American and Canadian users need to verify the billing address while binding. Then you will receive a SMS verification code on the phone number you just filled in. After verification, you need to create a 6-digit payment password before you can use the services.

Damn sad . received the notification today to verify my account in order to carry on using wechat by 20may if not will close my wallet . tonight will try to verify see can anot . if really cannot will try to transfer out my balance 1k inside =C

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Damn sad . received the notification today to verify my account in order to carry on using wechat by 20may if not will close my wallet . tonight will try to verify see can anot . if really cannot will try to transfer out my balance 1k inside =C

That is bad. Usually they will allow you to continue to spend the money left in the wallet, just not able to top up. This is the first time I hear that they will close your wechat wallet.

Try to verify with your Singapore credit card first if you have not done so. I tend to believe that is enough for you to continue using the balance, but you may not be able to top up.

If that is not successful, I am not so sure how to transfer out if you do not have a China bank card. You may have to transfer to a friend who has proper bank card first and get money from your friend.

So far my main wechat account is still working. But I do have back up solution to transfer money out to my relative's proper Wechat pay account.

Last edited:

benlau1

Reaction score

Hi xiaofan- after adding your Singapore credit card, do you have a remake saying “card not supported for payment “?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi xiaofan- after adding your Singapore credit card, do you have a remake saying “card not supported for payment “?

I do not have such remark since I did it in 2017 and my account is still fully functional. They are tightening the control so one by one this loopholes will be plugged.

It is correct that it is not useful for general payment or red envelope. It is only useful for the partners listed inside WeChat like DiDi.

Currently, the second type of WeChat Pay only supports consumption, and cannot be used for general transfer and sending red envelopes.

Last edited:

benlau1

Reaction score
I do not have such remark since I did it in 2017 and my account is still fully functional. They are tightening the control so one by one this loopholes will be plugged.

It is correct that it is not useful for general payment or red envelope. It is only useful for the partners listed inside WeChat like DiDi.

Currently, the second type of WeChat Pay only supports consumption, and cannot be used for general transfer and sending red envelopes.

I added my Singapore card but when i go under wallet and select Primary Payment method - the sg credit card is greyed out and it says "card not supported for payment".

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I added my Singapore card but when i go under wallet and select Primary Payment method - the sg credit card is greyed out and it says "card not supported for payment".

Yes that is correct. You need to get a China bank card to use as a payment method. The Singapore card is to verify your identity and allow you to use for limited usage for partners inside WeChat app when you travel to China.

You can try 3rd party top up service to top up, after that you can use the balance (微信零钱) for payment.

As for which 3rd party service, I can not recommend any as I have no experiences with any of them. I do not know how they work.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All in all, for new sign-up of WeChat Wallet account, it is kind of useless now even if you add a Singapore credit card to verify your identity, the Singapore card is not valid as a payment method, you are not able to top up the ballance either (previous loophole of using QR code to receive money was plugged iin 2019).

I have three wechat wallet account, all linked to the same Singapore credit card (OCBC Master card), only my main account which was created in 2013 (credit card info added in 2017) is fully functional now and I have RMB2500 inside. Two created in 2018 are kind of useless (was able to top up using QR code, tested and top up RMB100 and RMB10 respectively, but no longer working now), one left RMB65 and one left RMB5 so I just keep them that way.

And I have also created an Alipay account linked to a China SIM card as an experiment, I used QR code to receive RMB10 from my relative and now the money is floating in the air -- out of his account but pending in my account -- because my account can not be verified without a China bank card. Anyway, that is just an S$2 experiment.

Last edited:

benlau1

Reaction score
All in all, for new sign-up of WeChat Wallet account, it is kind of useless now even if you add a Singapore credit card to verify your identity, the Singapore card is not valid as a payment method, you are not able to top up the ballance either (previous loophole of using QR code to receive money was plugged iin 2019).

I have three wechat wallet account, all linked to the same Singapore credit card (OCBC Master card), only my main account which was created in 2013 (credit card info added in 2017) is fully functional now and I have RMB2500 inside. Two created in 2018 are kind of useless (was able to top up using QR code, tested and top up RMB100 and RMB10 respectively, but no longer working now), one left RMB65 and one left RMB5 so I just keep them that way.

And I have also created an Alipay account linked to a China SIM card as an experiment, I used QR code to receive RMB10 from my relative and now the money is floating in the air -- out of his account but pending in my account -- because my account can not be verified without a China bank card. Anyway, that is just an S$2 experiment.

Sigh... thanks. Seem like I have to use cash for my upcoming China trip then.. hope won’t receive any fake notes.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sigh... thanks. Seem like I have to use cash for my upcoming China trip then.. hope won’t receive any fake notes.

You can still verify the account using the Singapore credit card. Try to use it with WeChat partners like DiDi. DiDi is said to accept foreign credit card within its own app as well.

You can still try to use your Singapore credit card in places targeting tourists, like hotel, bigger shopping centres and airport.

Change enough cash in Singapore as well because the exchange rate here is higher.

I used SG credit card and cash during my 2017 business trip to Shanghai and it was okay. Only one time I needed help from my colleague to book and pay for a ride hailing app (not DiDi). The credit card worked fine in the hotel and the airport.

Myu~sun

Master Member
Reaction score
That is bad. Usually they will allow you to continue to spend the money left in the wallet, just not able to top up. This is the first time I hear that they will close your wechat wallet.

Try to verify with your Singapore credit card first if you have not done so. I tend to believe that is enough for you to continue using the balance, but you may not be able to top up.

If that is not successful, I am not so sure how to transfer out if you do not have a China bank card. You may have to transfer to a friend who has proper bank card first and get money from your friend.

So far my main wechat account is still working. But I do have back up solution to transfer money out to my relative's proper Wechat pay account.

Phew after filling the info and such . the prompt go away . scary . my balance left abt 1k . will give it a try to make payment during my next china trip =D

our wechat money inside so little only . why they scare money laundering .

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Phew after filling the info and such . the prompt go away . scary . my balance left abt 1k . will give it a try to make payment during my next china trip =D

our wechat money inside so little only . why they scare money laundering .

Good that you are able to finish this step and now you are able to spend the balance now.

The policy from WeChat and Alipay is to follow the law passed in China so we can not do anything about it. The Chinese Government is trying to prevent both money laundering and exit of fund by the rich (and probably upper middle class) people.

There are still some 3rd party top up services out there which look like still working.

benlau1

Reaction score
Anyone used the SG netspay app in china successfully?

It has to be the Unionpay QR payment system then can netspay?

Is Unionpay QR common in Beijing?

ccmheoa

Master Member
Reaction score
I tried, it didn't work when I was in Shenzhen...waste of time....couldn't buy anything with it...I suspect it's because you need to top up money into the wallet? The enetspay doesn't make sense if have to maintain wallet sia

Anyone used the SG netspay app in china successfully?

It has to be the Unionpay QR payment system then can netspay?

Is Unionpay QR common in Beijing?

zoo123

Reaction score
Hi, Just would like to know if i activate wechat wallet by using singapore credit card, can i receive the money in wechat wallet if someone sending money to me ? Thank you.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, Just would like to know if i activate wechat wallet by using singapore credit card, can i receive the money in wechat wallet if someone sending money to me ? Thank you.

Supposedly the answer is no. But no harm trying. And it can be still useful for some WeChat partners.

Ref:

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.