[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulpix

Reaction score
It's been 5 years since I bought a 1513+, for some reason it's still working even after running 12 hours per day (auto switch off at night). :s13: The only thing that has spoiled inside my NAS is the WD Red drives, replaced 2 so far over the 5 years. :( Not looking forward to the day when my 1513+ will up the lorry.

HexenHeretic

Reaction score
It's been 5 years since I bought a 1513+, for some reason it's still working even after running 12 hours per day (auto switch off at night). :s13: The only thing that has spoiled inside my NAS is the WD Red drives, replaced 2 so far over the 5 years. :( Not looking forward to the day when my 1513+ will up the lorry.

I’m on ds414 for 5yrs, 24/7
2X WD red, 2x HGST

I run a great deal of things on it:
- surveillance station with 3 ip cameras
- vpn (l2tp/ipsec)
- bit torrent (think I’m seeding/hosting over 150 torrents)
- media server for streaming to my apple tv
etc etc

There was a time I used it to host a unifi controller for a while until I switched it over into a raspberry pi.

Think I over utilised it, almost time to upgrade...

Vulpix

Reaction score
Actually since my 1513+ is already 5 years old, should I look into getting a new unit? I'm very worried the unit might just die on me... Or just wait till it dies?

SyncGuy

Reaction score
Aiya... My best practice, decide early on hot and cold drives, then set it up separately: Volume A and Volume B.

This is to minimize unnecessary wear and tear on HDD.

I assign 2 hot (volumes): 4TB surveillance and 2TB for downloading, and the rest as cold volume: 96TB.

Until now none of my 8TB WD Red needs RMA.

But I use WD Surveillance and HGST HDD for the respective hot volumes.

Unless you have some kind of smlj SHR required specifics, just set it up normally; raid or no raid up to you, just remember to back up.

Just decide early on hot and cold volumes..

Edit: 6 years on Xpenology (Synology). Currently running DSM918+ equivalent.

Last edited:

Vulpix

Reaction score
Aiya... My best practice, decide early on hot and cold drives, then set it up separately: Volume A and Volume B.

This is to minimize unnecessary wear and tear on HDD.

I assign 2 hot (volumes): 4TB surveillance and 2TB for downloading, and the rest as cold volume: 96TB.

Until now none of my 8TB WD Red needs RMA.

But I use WD Surveillance and HGST HDD for the respective hot volumes.

Unless you have some kind of smlj SHR required specifics, just set it up normally; raid or no raid up to you, just remember to back up.

Just decide early on hot and cold volumes..

Edit: 6 years on Xpenology (Synology). Currently running DSM918+ equivalent.
Wah you so heng, I already claim 2 RMAs for my reds... Sibeh mafan.

iphone88

Reaction score
Make the effort and find Hitachi. I would not pick a Seagate or WD if I had a choice.

If I need 2 bays, I should buy 2 hdd with same brand or different brand?
First bay HGST, Second bay Toshiba or both bay HGST?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I’m on ds414 for 5yrs, 24/7
2X WD red, 2x HGST

I run a great deal of things on it:
- surveillance station with 3 ip cameras
- vpn (l2tp/ipsec)
- bit torrent (think I’m seeding/hosting over 150 torrents)
- media server for streaming to my apple tv
etc etc

There was a time I used it to host a unifi controller for a while until I switched it over into a raspberry pi.

Think I over utilised it, almost time to upgrade...

Nothing last forever, I refreshed my DS414/Toshiba HDD to DS418 with new Toshiba HDD end of 2017.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I need 2 bays, I should buy 2 hdd with same brand or different brand?
First bay HGST, Second bay Toshiba or both bay HGST?

It does not matter if same or different brand, so long as both are of same RPM speed and capacity. Else the speed is as fast as the slower one.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
interesting, just realize - Toshiba HDD 8TB is at $280 now from TradePac.

If only SSD has 8TB for me to upgrade from at similar pricing... my nas can be generally quiet.

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The only thing that has spoiled inside my NAS is the WD Red drives, replaced 2 so far over the 5 years.
came to this thread cos my 2nd wd red died liao (only used the NAS for 2.5 years). think need to jump ship to another brand sia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.