Android TV Box

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
to save your wife, get a mibox s

Btw, my TX5 Max has 'TX5 Max' printed on the box but it doesn't seem to make it more durable :s13:

X96 Mini is rather small and S905W/S905X are still hot compared to S905X2. And cheaper no brand boxes in general do not have good thermal design, it is a common problem for no brand boxes.

As for dead boxes, as long as you are not able to recover from the usual ways, then it is dead.

My X96 Mini just arrived yesterday and I'm happily using it now. So far so good except this time, I use a little USB fan to cool it.

You're right, it's actually hotter than my TX5 Max but it's half the price so I'll just monitor how long it'll last if I use it everyday.

So you use more casting from cellphone than the box itself right?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Btw, my TX5 Max has 'TX5 Max' printed on the box but it doesn't seem to make it more durable :s13:

My X96 Mini just arrived yesterday and I'm happily using it now. So far so good except this time, I use a little USB fan to cool it.

You're right, it's actually hotter than my TX5 Max but it's half the price so I'll just monitor how long it'll last if I use it everyday.

So you use more casting from cellphone than the box itself right?

Official Tanix TX5 Max will have Tanix logo on it. Like the following from Gearbest.
https://m.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_009508450572.html?wid=1527929

OEM Version will only say “TX5 Max”.

As for my TV boxes, they are not connected to my TV and only to a monitor. I am only using them occasionally.

My SingTel TV box, Chromecast 1st gen dongle and Apple TV 3rd gen are connected to my dumb TV. Occasionally I will use my mobile phone to cast to TV with the help of Chromecast. But very seldom. Even our SingTel TV Box is under used now that the kids are more into YouTube than the kids channels like Nick Jr.

I still use my mobile phone more for entertainment— with Youku VIP, QQ Music VIP and YouTube, not really using the Android TV boxes.

Last edited:

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

of course not. it is a clone.

the only objective of clone manufacturer is to make quick money, nothing about reliability.

there isn't incentive to make reliable product.

if no one buy their cloned tx5, they just make tx6.

buy no-brand product is like buy lottery. :s22:

Tony_Chua

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you can run viu from handphone and chromecast the video to mibox. it is a lot more easier than using browser on TV box.

i tried it and it works fine using file explorer + apk. but all use korean dub. abit hard for my mother to watch just with chinese subtitle. any apps that can provide both chinese subtitle and dub?

Last edited:

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Official Tanix TX5 Max will have Tanix logo on it. Like the following from Gearbest.
https://m.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_009508450572.html?wid=1527929

OEM Version will only say “TX5 Max”.

As for my TV boxes, they are not connected to my TV and only to a monitor. I am only using them occasionally.

My SingTel TV box, Chromecast 1st gen dongle and Apple TV 3rd gen are connected to my dumb TV. Occasionally I will use my mobile phone to cast to TV with the help of Chromecast. But very seldom. Even our SingTel TV Box is under used now that the kids are more into YouTube than the kids channels like Nick Jr.

I still use my mobile phone more for entertainment— with Youku VIP, QQ Music VIP and YouTube, not really using the Android TV boxes.

Oh, mine is the TX5 Max version.

So you watch VOD mostly on your phone instead of TV? My Starhub box is still working fine so I use it as Chrome-cast :s13:.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What about MT 4k TV box? Good? What 4K box meant? Resolution upscaling?

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What about MT 4k TV box? Good? What 4K box meant? Resolution upscaling?

You already have Starhub Go Streaming box, it should be better than many no brand boxes already, especially with the built-in Chromecast function. If you want a better one, you should look at Nvidia Shield TV, king of Android TV boxes.

As for no brand 4K TV box, they just have CPU which can decode 4k media. Even the cheap RK3229 and S905W CPU based sub S$40 boxes can do that. Take note some of them are actually not able to output 4K though. Better get S905X/S905X2 CPU based box.

But very few boxes can do Netflix 4k, because of the Google Widevine Level 1 DRM and Netflix certification requirements.

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You already have Starhub Go Streaming box, it should be better than many no brand boxes already, especially with the built-in Chromecast function. If you want a better one, you should look at Nvidia Shield TV, king of Android TV boxes.

As for no brand 4K TV box, they just have CPU which can decode 4k media. Even the cheap RK3229 and S905W CPU based sub S$40 boxes can do that. Take note some of them are actually not able to output 4K though. Better get S905X/S905X2 CPU based box.

But very few boxes can do Netflix 4k, because of the Google Widevine Level 1 DRM and Netflix certification requirements.

I am surprise that my Starhub GO streaming box is warranty by Google.

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It runs operator version of official Google Android TV OS. It is just that it lacks the Netflix certification.

Yeah, it's actually quite a good box, considering it comes with 6 months subscription for $199.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That is the draw back. If it has Netflix then many will be willing to get it.

Mi Box S has Netflix and it is compatible with SingTel Cast and SingTel TV Go.

So Starhub Go Streaming box is more interesting for those who want Starhub Go packs. For SingTel customers it is better and cheaper to get Mi Box S.

Of course Nvidia Shield TV is even better than Mi Box S but it is more expensive.

rubicon

Master Member
Reaction score
where to watch old HK Cantonese shows like jackie Chan, Shanghai Tan? I tried the tvb app but it doesn't work.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.