R All vs SG PS Store DLC

wgwro19

Reaction score
Hi all, happy Tuesday after long weekend :) !

Ok, so I have a Singapore PSN account, but when I checked my MHW game cover is R All (why I bought it although it was on sale :(). Then I just realised I cannot download the DLC from PSN Store.

Do you guys have advice how to be able to play the DLC (since Iceborne going to be released next month)? AFAIK, MHW char is tied to PSN account.

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Does your version have multiple languages (like 中英文合版)?

Check the product ID (on the cover spine, on the disc, or best yet, from your save file, see below).

Asia PSN (R3): CUSA09554 (link)

US PSN (R1): CUSA07713 (link)

UK PSN (R2): CUSA07708 (link)

You can see the product ID as part of the URL address. Buy the DLC from the PSN store that matches your game.

To check product ID from your save file:
- On the Playstation, copy the game's save file(s) to USB storage. Then connect the USB storage to a PC and look at the contents.
- Look at folder PS4, then folder SAVEDATA, then there will be a folder with 16 alphanumeric characters (this is probably an encoded code for your PSN account that played the game). Under that, you will see one folder for each game. The folder name is the Product ID. PS4 product IDs are typically like CUSAxxxxx.

wgwro19

Reaction score

Check the product ID (on the cover spine, on the disc, or best yet, from your save file, see below).

You can see the product ID as part of the URL address. Buy the DLC from the PSN store that matches your game.

- On the Playstation, copy the game's save file(s) to USB storage. Then connect the USB storage to a PC and look at the contents.
- Look at folder PS4, then folder SAVEDATA, then there will be a folder with 16 alphanumeric characters (this is probably an encoded code for your PSN account that played the game). Under that, you will see one folder for each game. The folder name is the Product ID. PS4 product IDs are typically like CUSAxxxxx.

Never know this before dude, going to try this tonight! Thanks!

wgwro19

Reaction score

Anyway, if the worst case my game disc is R1 (which I suspect most, since I just recall it has some writing mentioning only works in US systems and no language options like 中英文合版), is there any way to download disc region/R3 DLC?

Last edited:

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyway, if the worst case my game disc is R1 (which I suspect most, since I just recall it has some writing mentioning only works in US systems and no language options like 中英文合版), is there any way to download disc region/R3 DLC?
Yes, if your base game is R1, you can create a US account, buy US PSN card (from Amazon or PC Game Supply, see Game Deal thread first 2 posts) to top up the US account's wallet (US PSN store doesn't accept SG cc or SG paypal), then use it to buy the R1 DLC. Then switch back to SG account to continue playing.

Most games are not region locked (that's why they say "region all" on the cover), you can buy game from one region and play with account from another region. Just that DLC and base game must match in region (usually). Of cos there are some exceptions, like microtransaction type of DLCs may be account locked and cannot be enjoyed by another account.

Also, do check that you actually have a save file on the PS4. Some online games do not save locally on the PS4, instead the save file is kept on server (to prevent cheating etc). I don't know about Monster Hunter. If the save is on server, then it is likely that you can play on R1 game, then switch to R3 game (if you buy the base game again plus expansion, all in R3) and the save will still carry over (because the server save file is locked to your SG account playing the game, not to a particular region of the game). As an example, that's how Destiny 2 works, server save, R1 and R3 can switch freely, so long as you play using same account you continue the save. I have personally tested that for Destiny 2, but like I said, I don't know about MonHun.

Dashie

Reaction score
I have a similar issues where my MHW base game is R2 so now I'm not sure if I'm able to play with a R3 iceborne expansion or do I have to try my best to buy a R2 Iceborne is the safest option? :(

wgwro19

Reaction score
Yes, if your base game is R1, you can create a US account, buy US PSN card (from Amazon or PC Game Supply, see Game Deal thread first 2 posts) to top up the US account's wallet (US PSN store doesn't accept SG cc or SG paypal), then use it to buy the R1 DLC. Then switch back to SG account to continue playing.

Most games are not region locked (that's why they say "region all" on the cover), you can buy game from one region and play with account from another region. Just that DLC and base game must match in region (usually). Of cos there are some exceptions, like microtransaction type of DLCs may be account locked and cannot be enjoyed by another account.

Also, do check that you actually have a save file on the PS4. Some online games do not save locally on the PS4, instead the save file is kept on server (to prevent cheating etc). I don't know about Monster Hunter. If the save is on server, then it is likely that you can play on R1 game, then switch to R3 game (if you buy the base game again plus expansion, all in R3) and the save will still carry over (because the server save file is locked to your SG account playing the game, not to a particular region of the game). As an example, that's how Destiny 2 works, server save, R1 and R3 can switch freely, so long as you play using same account you continue the save. I have personally tested that for Destiny 2, but like I said, I don't know about MonHun.

Ok thanks dude. Most likely, MHW is saved locally, need to test first LOL

Hmm, I don't really understand this part, isn't the DLC tied to PSN account? How can I bring the purchased DLC to SG account? Do you mind to elaborate more :) ?

Last edited:

wgwro19

Reaction score
I have a similar issues where my MHW base game is R2 so now I'm not sure if I'm able to play with a R3 iceborne expansion or do I have to try my best to buy a R2 Iceborne is the safest option? :(

I am not even sure you can redeem the R2 DLC code in SG PS Store :(
I plan to try to create US account when have time, then try to purchase the 1 DLC and see whether it loads to my current SG account or not

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I don't really understand this part, isn't the DLC tied to PSN account? How can I bring the purchased DLC to SG account? Do you mind to elaborate more :) ?
When you buy a game, let's say R1, usually any account can play it, regardless of region of the account. (If your MHW is R1, you already seen this, as you played it using your SG/R3 psn account.)

A psn account can buy digital contents (game or DLC) from the psn store of the same region. So SG account goes to SG psn store and buy R3 game/DLC, US account goes to US psn store and buy R1 game/DLC.

Digital contents owned by one account can be shared with other accounts sitting on the same PS4 console. (This assumes you only have 1 PS4, otherwise it's still possible but a bit more complicated.) All you have to do is make sure the owner of the content has activated that PS4 as its "primary PS4" -- which you probably have already, since it is one of the steps you go through when putting that account on the PS4 (check by: Settings > Account Management > Activate as Your Primary PS4 > Activate).

So if your US account bought R1 expansion (for the R1 disc game), that R1 expansion DLC digital content can be shared with your SG account. So just make US account and put it on same PS4, use that to buy R1 stuff. Make UK account for R2 stuff too. Make Japan account too, for sometimes Japan has some nice freebies, like demos. I have a sticky thread on this forum on how to make other region accounts, take a look.

wgwro19

Reaction score
When you buy a game, let's say R1, usually any account can play it, regardless of region of the account. (If your MHW is R1, you already seen this, as you played it using your SG/R3 psn account.)

A psn account can buy digital contents (game or DLC) from the psn store of the same region. So SG account goes to SG psn store and buy R3 game/DLC, US account goes to US psn store and buy R1 game/DLC.

Digital contents owned by one account can be shared with other accounts sitting on the same PS4 console. (This assumes you only have 1 PS4, otherwise it's still possible but a bit more complicated.) All you have to do is make sure the owner of the content has activated that PS4 as its "primary PS4" -- which you probably have already, since it is one of the steps you go through when putting that account on the PS4 (check by: Settings > Account Management > Activate as Your Primary PS4 > Activate).

So if your US account bought R1 expansion (for the R1 disc game), that R1 expansion DLC digital content can be shared with your SG account. So just make US account and put it on same PS4, use that to buy R1 stuff. Make UK account for R2 stuff too. Make Japan account too, for sometimes Japan has some nice freebies, like demos. I have a sticky thread on this forum on how to make other region accounts, take a look.

Very well explanation! Going to try this and update the result here, hopefully it works :) !

wgwro19

Reaction score
It is working now!!!

Sorry for late update. Thanks to @PierceLee for the efforts and very clear explanation!
To summarise, for my case is R All (R1) game and R3 PSN account:

Pre- requisites:
1. Create R1 PSN account as explained here
2. Buy R1 PSN Card credit as explained here

PS4:
1. Login with your R3 PSN account
2. Set Primary PS4 (Settings > Account Management > Activate as Your Primary PS4 > Activate)
3. Switch to R1 PSN account
4. Go to PS Store
5. Buy add on(s) you want
6. Switch back to R3 PSN account
7. Bought add on(s) should be applied to R3 PSN account
8. Enjoy!!!

Anyway, hopefully can apply Iceborne with these steps >_<

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Just to expand on the steps a bit...

Pre-requisite: same

Step A (one time for each account)
- Make your PS4 the "primary PS4" for that account (Settings > Account Management > Activate as Your Primary PS4 > Activate).
- Log out

Repeat the above for every account that you own: SG, US, etc. (For this particular case, technically you only have to do this step for the US account, since it is the one who's buying things to share. But just do it one time for every account anyway and can forget about it in the future.)

Step B (one time)
- Redeem the US PSN card code purchased to top up wallet.
- Go to PS Store
- Buy add on(s) you want. In this case, buy the R1 MHW expansion for the R1 disc game. The add-on will apply to the R1 game that's already installed on the HDD. Since this is the "primary PS4" of the content owner (US account), the content (R1 add-on) can be shared with other accounts on the same PS4. (As you probably guessed, on non-primary PS4, contents owned are not sharable.)
- Log out

Step C
- When you want to play, just use SG account to play the R1 game (and R1 add-on that US account bought and shared)

To explain a bit more: Multiple accounts can have the same PS4 as their "primary PS4". As analogy, you own 2 houses, but on your NRIC, only 1 is shown as your primary address. You whole family stays with you in that same house, so every family member also has that same house as primary address. In real life you can have more than 2 houses but for PS4, Sony only allows each account to stay in 2 PS4. In your primary address, things you buy and bring home can be shared with other family members that stay there. The analogy breaks down here but by Sony's rule, things you buy and bring to the other house cannot be shared, only you can enjoy them.

Before you spend any real money, note that the US/R1 has a bunch of free stuff (link) Make the US account, then grab these freebies, install them, see if you can find them in the game.

Questions:
- Does the game have a local save file on the HDD or is the save kept on the server only?

wgwro19

Reaction score

- Make your PS4 the "primary PS4" for that account (Settings > Account Management > Activate as Your Primary PS4 > Activate).
- Log out

Repeat the above for every account that you own: SG, US, etc. (For this particular case, technically you only have to do this step for the US account, since it is the one who's buying things to share. But just do it one time for every account anyway and can forget about it in the future.)

Step B (one time)
- Go to PS Store
- Buy add on(s) you want. In this case, buy the R1 MHW expansion for the R1 disc game. The add-on will apply to the R1 game that's already installed on the HDD. Since this is the "primary PS4" of the content owner (US account), the content (R1 add-on) can be shared with other accounts on the same PS4. (As you probably guessed, on non-primary PS4, contents owned are not sharable.)
- Log out

Step C
- When you want to play, just use SG account to play the R1 game (and R1 add-on that US account bought and shared)

To explain a bit more: Multiple accounts can have the same PS4 as their "primary PS4". As analogy, you own 2 houses, but on your NRIC, only 1 is shown as your primary address. You whole family stays with you in that same house, so every family member also has that same house as primary address. In real life you can have more than 2 houses but for PS4, Sony only allows each account to stay in 2 PS4. In your primary address, things you buy and bring home can be shared with other family members that stay there. The analogy breaks down here but by Sony's rule, things you buy and bring to the other house cannot be shared, only you can enjoy them.

Before you spend any real money, note that the US/R1 has a bunch of free stuff (link) Make the US account, then grab these freebies, install them, see if you can find them in the game.

Questions:
- Does the game have a local save file on the HDD or is the save kept on the server only?

Thanks again for your explanation!
Anyway, I just tried again, it should be HDD one, because I can play the game while my Network was down.

2ji8888

Reaction score
Hi all, happy Tuesday after long weekend :) !

Ok, so I have a Singapore PSN account, but when I checked my MHW game cover is R All (why I bought it although it was on sale :(). Then I just realised I cannot download the DLC from PSN Store.

Do you guys have advice how to be able to play the DLC (since Iceborne going to be released next month)? AFAIK, MHW char is tied to PSN account.
Bro how did it work for you? I have almost the same problem, but mine is the other way around,

my MH:W (disc) is (R3), i accidentally bought Iceborne DLC from US PSN store. I only have US PSN account.

you wanna trade with me?

Kinanthiayu

Reaction score

- Log out

Step B (one time)
- Go to PS Store
- Log out

Step C

Questions:

Hi, thank you for a very elaborate reply..so I have the exact same case where my main game is R0 region code (All) and I have SG PSN account..i just want to update that I did all the steps mentioned above and it works perfectly!

So thank you and happy hunting!

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Might as well re-post this here, to have the info collected in one thread:
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...station-singapore-hotline-number-6130469.html
- Use the save file method to double check your game's region, based on the product ID. Be totally sure.

- Learn to read the region of the game based on the rating logo. US (R1) will have ESRB rating, the logo has the word "ESRB" at the bottom. EU (R2) will have PEGI rating, the logo is in color has the word "PEGI" at the bottom. Japan (R2) has CERO, again, the word is in the logo, and you can probably tell by all the Japanese words all over the cover anyway. Asia (R3) has various rating logos, depending on country (Taiwan, HK, etc) and is harder to tell. If there is Chinese word (like 輔導級, 中英文合版) it's probably Asia. I think China is a different region though I haven't seen any China version here before.

- There is no Region 0. Region "All" basically means the game is region free, meaning you can play the game on any region's PS4 console (like an American can import Japan games and still play it). All PS4 games are region free anyway (probably a few exceptions due to other reasons).

- DLCs/expansions are not sold on physical discs, unless the physical version has the base game and that DLC bundled together (like the Master Edition of Iceborne). When bundled together, some times the disc only contains the base game, and there is a piece of scratch-and-win type card inside with code for you to claim the DLC digitally. (For Iceborne master edition, the DLC is reportedly on the physical disc already, no need to redeem code.)

- So if you already own the base game, you have to buy the DLC digitally from a PSN store. In this case, you need to buy from the same region to be sure, since different region has different product ID and are basically considered different products, not compatible with each other. (This is also why when you buy a disc base game, think about what region you want. Local shops often bring in R2 cos they can be cheaper, and people just buy them cos cheaper, then get into trouble when expansion comes. Also R2 DLCs are often more expensive than other regions, so that offsets the cheaper base game and you are not saving money.)

- Personal opinion: If it is a game you are going to play for a long long time, like a 'live service' game or MMO-like game (eg. Destiny, Division, and Monster Hunter World), and maybe an annual sports game (like FIFA, PES), it's better to buy the base game in digital version. Since you are going to play it all the time, going fully digital means no need to swap disc or keeping the disc in there all the time (the DLC expansions are going to be digital only anyway).

santouryuzoro

Reaction score
Hey there! i have a R2 version of MHW too. Did you manage to resolve how to get the expansion? UK gift card for PSN is usually more rare, i can’t seem to find it.

I am not even sure you can redeem the R2 DLC code in SG PS Store :(
I plan to try to create US account when have time, then try to purchase the 1 DLC and see whether it loads to my current SG account or not

CLsg2020

Reaction score
Help!

Hi folks, I have this similar issue but different game. Mine is SG PSN account, i bought the Just Dance 2020 disc, Region All from a game shop and also the Just Dance 12 months Unlimited Pass from PSN store using my SG PSN account and it does not work there error message saying "This content cannot be selected at this time", any idea what is the issue?

I tried to buy the digital version of Just Dance 2020, $62.10 from psn store and it works with my unlimited pass.

Any kind folks can help what should i do and how to use the disc and able to subscribe to unlimited pass without getting problem? Thanks

Recce5

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If the DLC indicates only meant for the game of same region, there's not much you can do except getting the game for that region to use the DLC.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.