M.2 wifi card supported on Gigabyte Z390M motherboard?

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wifi card on desktop mobo uses a different type of m.2 slot, not the same as nvme/sata m.2 slot. U can conpare with those mobo that have built in wifi for reference. If not, buy those wifi card with pcie3.0x1 adaptor.

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That’s the question, I will prefer wifi card on M.2 and free up the PCIe slot.

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Check your mobo manual, it will state what can be slotted into the m.2 slot.

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I read the manual, never state got E key. It state M.2 a lot for sata and PCIe SSD.

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I read the manual, never state got E key. It state M.2 a lot for sata and PCIe SSD.

Nvr state means dun have lor. You can actually look at ur io shield. If got 2 cutouts for antenna, means can put. But usually mobo will come with wifi card le. If dun have, they wun design 1 to allow u to add on, kinda defeats the purpose of having high end models with wifi in 1st place.

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nvr state means dun have lor. You can actually look at ur io shield. If got 2 cutouts for antenna, means can put. But usually mobo will come with wifi card le. If dun have, they wun design 1 to allow u to add on, kinda defeats the purpose of having high end models with wifi in 1st place.

Surprisingly, the Gigabyte Z390M has cutout for wifi SMA connectors, however it does not have built in wifi. Thats why I find it strange, and there are no Z390M with wifi.
IO-shield.jpg

The thing is the the MB M.2 slot is a M-Key, so it can support NVMe and SATA. There is no dedicated slot for M.2 Key E wifi .

Last edited:

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most likely means one of the higher end model has the same io layout as your mobo but with wifi option. At least can save on fabrication process.

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After some research, there is a method of using M.2 (A+E key) on PCIe based M.2 slot (M Key) with an adapter. The adapter combines PCIe and USB interface and allow M key M.2 slot to support a A+E key wifi/bluetooth card.

Someone got this adapter for M.2 Key A+E wifi to work even on Mac.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...e-with-m-2-ngff-slot-on-a-motherboard.258662/

According to Intel spec on AX200NGW, it is based on PCIe and USB interface, so this adapter could work for this wifi card.

However, AX201NGW is based on CNVi proprietary interface and the pins are not the same, so adapter will not work this wifi card.

So why get intel wifi AX200? Cause it supports the latest 802.11AX standards, thus higher bandwidth. Will be good for info to be used if you decide to convert your M.2 slot to use a wifi card! :s12:=:p

Last edited:

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just found out Gigabyte Z390M gaming has CNVi slot built in motherboard, however it was not documented anywhere, not even in the user manual.

The CNVi slot is on the MB, looks like I can directly insert AX201NGW on it!

froztheart

Master Member
Reaction score
Sorry for digging up thread but after reading don't quite get it.

I've got an Intel AX200NGW, and I'm using MSI Z390A-PRO.

Am trying to get this Wifi Card to work and I suppose I should plug into the CNVI slot, is that right?

As the M2 slot is use for my Adata SSD.

But it doesn't seem to detect in my "Device Manager".
Any kind soul able to clarify? :s11:

TIA.

naked123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry for digging up thread but after reading don't quite get it.

I've got an Intel AX200NGW, and I'm using MSI Z390A-PRO.

Am trying to get this Wifi Card to work and I suppose I should plug into the CNVI slot, is that right?

As the M2 slot is use for my Adata SSD.

But it doesn't seem to detect in my "Device Manager".
Any kind soul able to clarify? :s11:

TIA.

you need AX201NGW. your m.2 key e slot can only accept intel cnvi wifi card

froztheart

Master Member
Reaction score
you need AX201NGW. your m.2 key e slot can only accept intel cnvi wifi card
It says its an M slot in the motherboard manual though, but its written CNVI_1 on the board.
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B98v1.2.pdf

And the slot mentioned in the manual (pg 27) is for the NVMe SSD slot, the CNVI slot is just below the GPU slot at the bottom of the motherboard.

So I'll get the AX201NGW, or do I have to get an adapter for M to A+E slot like what's mentioned above by Alphas

arvinsim

Reaction score
As someone who has this board and is running a hackintosh, I just bought a wireless USB adapter.

Is there any advantage in using an m2 wifi card over a wireless USB adapter that I don't know? Because it looks like a lot of work trying to find one that is compatible.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.