Please Help! Signing On RSAF Officer

gobbere

Reaction score
Hi Seniors and Senpais,

Contemplating to sign on RSAF UAV squadron because of job stability, good pay, and good progression. RSAF is also not like the army and thus slightly different in terms of regimentation..

Not alot is known about life in the RSAF (for vocations other than pilot) and career talks are usually curated to paint a very nice picture...

Graduating soon from local uni, but wanted to know what is the working culture like and what to expect on a typical work week..

Please Help!

Kindly don't flame and constructive comments will definitely help!

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Seniors and Senpais,

Contemplating to sign on RSAF UAV squadron because of job stability, good pay, and good progression. RSAF is also not like the army and thus slightly different in terms of regimentation..

Not alot is known about life in the RSAF (for vocations other than pilot) and career talks are usually curated to paint a very nice picture...

Graduating soon from local uni, but wanted to know what is the working culture like and what to expect on a typical work week..

Please Help!

So your reason for wanting to sign on is because of job stability, good pay, and good progression and is not as regimented as the army?

Then I think you should consider some other jobs.

matey1982

Banned
Reaction score
Where got uniform grp not regimental mode one?

Hi Seniors and Senpais,

Please Help!

gobbere

Reaction score
So your reason for wanting to sign on is because of job stability, good pay, and good progression and is not as regimented as the army?

Then I think you should consider some other jobs.

Hmm... In addition, my thoughts are that the pay is decent, not fantastic, but allows a comfortable life.

Serving has its perks too, with benefits such as healthcare, food, and its a decent career.

I'm just not very knowledgeable about RSAF and the weekly working life...

Also...read somewhere that if SAF doesnt want to 'renew' your contract, you kinda lose your job....is that true??

If so...under what circumstances?!?!
(always thought it is a iron rice bowl)

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm... In addition, my thoughts are that the pay is decent, not fantastic, but allows a comfortable life.

Serving has its perks too, with benefits such as healthcare, food, and its a decent career.

I'm just not very knowledgeable about RSAF and the weekly working life...

Also...read somewhere that if SAF doesnt want to 'renew' your contract, you kinda lose your job....is that true??

If so...under what circumstances?!?!
(always thought it is a iron rice bowl)

So you want to sign on cause
1) "the pay is decent, not fantastic, but allows a comfortable life"
2) "benefits such as healthcare, food, and its a decent career"

how you know its a decent career if you are not very knowledgable about RSAF and the weekly working life...

If they don't need your service, why pay you to do nothing?

You are thinking of signing on for all the wrong reasons.

gobbere

Reaction score
So you want to sign on cause

how you know its a decent career if you are not very knowledgable about RSAF and the weekly working life...

If they don't need your service, why pay you to do nothing?

You are thinking of signing on for all the wrong reasons.

That's true. I see your point. I see myself quite the patriot actually. Tbh I have some knowledge about RSAF and daily life, but not so much with specific squadrons such as UAV.

Decent also means its pretty respectable in the sense there is pride in the job, and its definitely different from your daily office work.

Fitness wise, i really enjoy working out and it really aligns with my character.

Appreciate the viewpoint!

Also would want to ask if anyone knows about the 're-contract' of the job for officers...

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's true. I see your point. I see myself quite the patriot actually. Tbh I have some knowledge about RSAF and daily life, but not so much with specific squadrons such as UAV.

Decent also means its pretty respectable in the sense there is pride in the job, and its definitely different from your daily office work.

Fitness wise, i really enjoy working out and it really aligns with my character.

Appreciate the viewpoint!

Also would want to ask if anyone knows about the 're-contract' of the job for officers...

There are many ways to be a patriot without signing on. A true patriot wouldn't be signing on for the reasons you have for wanting to sign on. In fact that is more like the opposite of being a patriot.

If you don't go do your own research regarding signing on before seeking advice, then you are really thinking of signing on for the wrong reasons.

A job is only as respectable and prideful as how one views it. You can also 10 different people and 10 different people will have very different views about signing on with the SAF.

How will you know it is definitely different from daily office work if you don't know much about RSAF?

Working out and the fitness required to be combat ready is very different. I assume you are a lady?

I reckon before you find out more about recontract for officers etc, you should go find out more about the job itself. If not you shouldn't sign on. And if you want to sign on cause you think it is iron rice bowl. then I think you will be broken like a glass bowl very soon.

gobbere

Reaction score
There are many ways to be a patriot without signing on. A true patriot wouldn't be signing on for the reasons you have for wanting to sign on. In fact that is more like the opposite of being a patriot.

If you don't go do your own research regarding signing on before seeking advice, then you are really thinking of signing on for the wrong reasons.

A job is only as respectable and prideful as how one views it. You can also 10 different people and 10 different people will have very different views about signing on with the SAF.

How will you know it is definitely different from daily office work if you don't know much about RSAF?

Working out and the fitness required to be combat ready is very different. I assume you are a lady?

I reckon before you find out more about recontract for officers etc, you should go find out more about the job itself. If not you shouldn't sign on. And if you want to sign on cause you think it is iron rice bowl. then I think you will be broken like a glass bowl very soon.

Of course there are multiple ways to be a patriot. and yes pride in the job is dependent on the person and how they themselves view it.

I don't find your broken glass bowl remark constructive.

Do you have any experiences of signing on to share? Seems to me you have quite the negative view about signing on. However, I must emphasize life in the RSAF is alot different from life in the army.

Keep it constructive. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Of course there are multiple ways to be a patriot. and yes pride in the job is dependent on the person and how they themselves view it.

Do you have any experiences of signing on to share? Seems to me you have quite the negative view about signing on. However, I must emphasize life in the RSAF is alot different from life in the army.

If you can agree that there are many ways of being a patriot and whether there is pride in the job is dependent on how the person views it, then whether a remark is constructive or not is also dependent on how the person views it. If you don't then, it's your prerogative.

Maybe your feel is wrong. In fact, to me if people want to sign on, good for them. We need people to sign on to do the job required regardless of how people feel that NS is a waste of time.

My issue is with people who wants to sign on for reasons like yours, i.e.

Waste of tax payers money rather than really wanting to serve.

If you are truly passionate about signing on, it doesn't show from the questions you ask as they are so open ended. Seems like just fishing for answers, waiting to be spoon fed. How is it possible for you to be passionate and even able to claim that "RSAF is a lot different from life in army" when you have not experienced either to make that claim.

gobbere

Reaction score
If you can agree that there are many ways of being a patriot and whether there is pride in the job is dependent on how the person views it, then whether a remark is constructive or not is also dependent on how the person views it. If you don't then, it's your prerogative.

Maybe your feel is wrong. In fact, to me if people want to sign on, good for them. We need people to sign on to do the job required regardless of how people feel that NS is a waste of time.

My issue is with people who wants to sign on for reasons like yours, i.e.

Waste of tax payers money rather than really wanting to serve.

If you are truly passionate about signing on, it doesn't show from the questions you ask as they are so open ended. Seems like just fishing for answers, waiting to be spoon fed. How is it possible for you to be passionate and even able to claim that "RSAF is a lot different from life in army" when you have not experienced either to make that claim.

I'm sorry to hear that you have such a poor attitude.

Unfortunately to surprise you that I finished my 2yrs in the army as a 2LT. I've asked a few RSAF friends I made in OCS, but I wanted to ask if anyone has any more expertise on this topic through this platform.

I am here to ask about signing on RSAF. Possibly some advice, and AGAIN, not to say who is right or wrong.

Im not going to respond to your hate comments of being spoon-fed, or wasting taxpayers money, which can possibly incite an unnecessary argument. That is your personal opinion,which you are entitled to.

I'm just here to genuinely seek advice on people who know about this topic. Thank you.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that you have such a poor attitude.

Unfortunately to surprise you that I finished my 2yrs in the army as a 2LT. I've asked a few RSAF friends I made in OCS, but I wanted to ask if anyone has any more expertise on this topic through this platform.

I am here to ask about signing on RSAF. Possibly some advice, and AGAIN, not to say who is right or wrong.

Im not going to respond to your hate comments of being spoon-fed, or wasting taxpayers money, which can possibly incite an unnecessary argument. That is your personal opinion,which you are entitled to.

I'm just here to genuinely seek advice on people who know about this topic. Thank you.

You are entitlted to your own opinion about me having a poor attitude. I am also entitled to my own opinion that I don't think the force needs someone who wants to be spoonfed, furthermore you were an officer. Who knows why you ORD as a 2LT rather than a LTA.

Fair enough that you have experienced life in the army. But it is also surprising that if you have a few RSAF friends to ask, why didn't you leverage on their experience to find out more about RSAF. Also have you even gone to the RSAF careers website to find out more rather than just say you are not very knowledgeable about RSAF... spoonfeed you a bit.. https://bit.ly/2P5YtrI

Up to you whether you want to respond, I can't control what you think. Neither can you control what I do and think.

TheOne

Reaction score
Hi Seniors and Senpais,

Please Help!

Think twice bro. I see you've been through army ocs before and about to graduate uni, but switching service like this will mean you'll have to go through air force service term and pro term all over again (dunno about tri-service) and that in itself is gonna feel like a drag. I can't imagine waking up at 530am for 5bx for another 6months again (then again, that probably doesn't happen in uav; i was from the most siong vocation in rsaf myself).

True that saf does pay very well now, but you won't be too far back after 6-8yrs in the corporate world. Otherwise, why would so many scholars leave after bond's up?

Successor.

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Bro, you can ignore reddevil, he is notorious for providing useless or negative answers in the HWZ NS forums. I have no idea why he choose this forum to post mainly but don't have any constructive to advice. He may not even have served the army at all, honestly so to speak.

Anyway I am ORD the Airforce, so I may give you my two cents advice.

Regimentation in the air-force is indeed less strict as compared to the army as ranks in the air-force are lesser enforced as people just want to get things done. The unit I came from functions some sort like a 8-5 job unless there are exercise or urgent maintenance that needs to be done to ensure that our fighter jets can take off smoothly.

You will likely be taken in as an UAV pilot since you are a commissioned officer during your NSF days and graduating from a local university. Anyway you reasons for wanting to join the RSAF is typical, so good luck!

gobbere

Reaction score
Really appreciate the advice @Successor. And @TheOne

Will take it into consideration :)

_dXter

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Singapore Aerospace 2020 coming up in feb, maybe you can chat with the UAV people if RSAF send them there.

MichealScott

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Firstly, ignore reddevil.

Secondly, you are signing as what? UAV pilot? What vocation?

Lastly, RSAF is indeed v different from SAF, in terms of regimentation and all. I myself went thru both OCS. And you will be officer on course, don't need to march or whatever in OCS.

Sent from Stamford Bridge using GAGT

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.