Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is astrill vpn good in china?

Yes it should be good. But probably you need to pay (the free Android version only get one server optimised for China and you can not change the protocol).

ExpressVPN is also pretty good. Both are the more expensive type.

12VPN can be another cheaper option.

You may be get cheaper ones like Surfshark and NordVPN to work as well with some tweaks. The app may not work but you may contact customer service to use alternative methods like OpenVPN servers to work.

stiwipl

Reaction score
I think the whole "OpenVPN" protocol is shaped in China, unless they go for data center IPs only, which I doubt. Otherwise for those travelling to China the easiest solution would be to setup the VPN server on your SG broadband and connect to it when in China.

If I would need to access open internet in China, this is what I would try (without relying on VPN providers): buy Synology RT2600ac and setup Synology SSL VPN server on my SG home internet (it's their proprietary vpn protocol), they have Synology SSL VPN app on mobile and desktop. It should work without any issues, because it is a non standard vpn protocol and meant for business use.

By the way, I can most definitely say that unless you need Asus (Merlin) + Astrill applet, RT2600ac is the best router I have ever used and I used a lot of them (different Asus models including top range AC86U, I also have Netgear R7000 + R9000).

windwaver

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those who are interested in Astrill, they are offering free VPN for Android. Tested a few servers and the speed is pretty good.

https://www.astrill.com/free-android-vpn

Astrill Free Android plan
1 device only
Android only
No protocol selection
Limited servers count (actually pretty good)

US LA Supercharged 2
5585827030.png

AU Sydney
5585833047.png

UK London
5585839334.png

Hi Xiaofan, the free access is 7 days only right?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Xiaofan, the free access is 7 days only right?

No. It is free forever as long as they do not discontinue the offer. I think this is probably new and may not last long. So hurry up if you want to try.

Windscribe 10GB (or 20GB) is usually listed as the best free VPN as it allows you to use on all platforms like Windows along with iOS/Android.

But this Astrill free Android VPN has no data limit. So as long as you are okay with the limit and use it on one Android phone, it is actually better than Windscribe free.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think the whole "OpenVPN" protocol is shaped in China, unless they go for data center IPs only, which I doubt. Otherwise for those travelling to China the easiest solution would be to setup the VPN server on your SG broadband and connect to it when in China.

If I would need to access open internet in China, this is what I would try (without relying on VPN providers): buy Synology RT2600ac and setup Synology SSL VPN server on my SG home internet (it's their proprietary vpn protocol), they have Synology SSL VPN app on mobile and desktop. It should work without any issues, because it is a non standard vpn protocol and meant for business use.

By the way, I can most definitely say that unless you need Asus (Merlin) + Astrill applet, RT2600ac is the best router I have ever used and I used a lot of them (different Asus models including top range AC86U, I also have Netgear R7000 + R9000).

You are right that OpenVPN protocol is already not that useful if you set up an OpenVPN server at your home router. It may work if you are lucky, mostly it will not work and easily blocked by GFW.

So not exactly sure how these alternative methods for NordVPN and Surfsharks work, probably they also offer other methods or change server from time to time, take note you need to contact the customer services to get the server address. And probably they have alternative servers using their proprietary protocols as well.

As for using SSL VPN to bypass GFW, I believe people have tried that idea and in general failed. That is why people are developing SS/SSR/V2Ray/Trojan. And now they need V2Ray +Websocket +TLS +CDN etc to reliably bypass GFW.

Still it is by luck and you may get it work if you are not doing much with the VPN on router or VPS. I am going to try my luck with my newly setup plain SS and plain V2Ray server on the free Google Cloud. I am also trying my luck with purevpn with the app and the alternative manual configuration by purevpn.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tips for using purevpn in China (ignore the advertising part, purevpn is not as good as it says about itself).
https://www.vpnranks.com/blog/purevpn-for-china/

Need to contact customer support to use alternative methods under iOS or Android -- manual configuration.

The method is the same as going into China, I contacted the online chat support, they gave me similar methods. But then their servers in China are just too slow to be useful so I gave up.

+++++ Edit to add ++++
https://www.tipsforchina.com/mobile/best-vpn-for-china.html

The author listed purevpn as the worst VPN he has reviewed. Based on my test it should not be the worst but still not very good, not recommend to buy.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Using vyprvpn in China. Apparently not working well now as per its website for iOS. Not recommended since it is not cheap to buy the premium plan which has the chance of working in China.

https://support.goldenfrog.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009427492-VyprVPN-Service-Status

Update: November 6, 2019

We are still working towards a resolution for our customers in China using the VyprVPN iOS app.

At this time, we would like to have you try the following steps for a manual IKEv2 connection on your iOS device to see if you are able to establish a successful connection.

October 30, 2019

We are aware that many of our customers within China are currently unable to connect with the VyprVPN iOS app.

We are currently working on a resolution to get this resolved, and we will provide a more detailed update once we have restored connectivity.

At this time, we suggest using the VyprVPN Windows, Mac, or Android applications with the Chameleon protocol.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Astrill is pretty confident about itself in China. :s13:
https://www.astrill.com/faq

Do you offer free trial in China?

We do not offer a free trial in China. Astrill service works well in China unlike any other VPN providers who often have problems there.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tips of using ExpressVPN in China (usually works but sometimes not working), still one of the best VPN to be used in China based on feedbacks from my friends in China.

https://www.vpndada.com/best-vpns-for-china-cn/

When the software/app is connecting from China, be patient and let it make multiple tries before finally getting connected. Again, be patient when the software is connecting!

If your ExpressVPN stops working in China, contact ExpressVPN’s live support immediately to get the latest tips and solutions for getting the VPNing work again in China.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tips for Winscribe in China. It is more famous for streaming but it is said that it can work in China.
https://www.vpnmentor.com/reviews/windscribe-vpn/

Windscribe has a Stealth VPN mode that masks your OpenVPN traffic by hiding it inside of a secure TLS tunnel. The company recommends this mode for users in China.

If all other protocols fail in China, Windscribe also has a Wstunnel mode that wraps OpenVPN in a WebSocket.

In Windscribe’s FAQ, the company encourages users to contact support for help if they can’t get the VPN to work in China.

######
https://windscribe.com/faq
What is API Resolution?
Some networks (China, businesses, etc) actively monitor your connection and can block/alter DNS requests which would break Windscribe. You can manually configure an IP address to access the API, bypassing DNS. Contact us for an IP address to use if you are getting "API Connectivity" errors.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone can post their highest speed at speedtest.net using VPN? Indicating their VPN.

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...strictly-no-referral-allowed-3807778-194.html

I don't know if anyone can beat his record of Speedify. Then his speed of Astrill is too slow since my test of the free Android mobile version is faster.

My last speedtest in Singapore against Singapore server back in January are as follows:-

M1 1Gbps fibre via LAN. Without VPN download and upload are btw 816-939Mbps

Achievable download speed
Speedify 81.4% @729Mbps
Tunnelbear 29.3% @270Mbps
Windscribe 28.9% @261Mbps
VPN Unlimited 27.2% @255Mbps
Cyberghost 25.7% @234Mbps
Buffered VPN 22.8% @209Mbps
NordVPN 21.5% @197Mbps
PIA 20.4% @184Mbps
ivacy 20% @169Mbps
ExpressVPN 16.2% @144Mbps
HMA 16.2% @137Mbps
IVPN 15% @135Mbps
SaferVPN 10.6% @94Mbps
Astrill 6.7% @61Mbps

Achievable upload speed
Speedify over 86.9% @800Mbps++
Windscribe 32.5% @280Mbps
VPN Unlimited 28.8% @254Mbps
NordVPN 29.8% @243Mbps
Cyberghost 26.8% 240Mbps
PIA 25.8% @223Mbps
Buffered VPN 24.5% @208Mbps
HMA 23.5% @202Mbps
Tunnelbear 22.4% @192Mbps
SaferVPN 21% @179Mbps
ExpressVPN 15.5% @140Mbps
IVPN 16% @138Mbps
IVACY 12.7% @112Mbps
Astrill 5.9% @51Mbps

Last edited:

stiwipl

Reaction score
[...]
As for using SSL VPN to bypass GFW, I believe people have tried that idea and in general failed. That is why people are developing SS/SSR/V2Ray/Trojan. And now they need V2Ray +Websocket +TLS +CDN etc to reliably bypass GFW.
[...]

I think you are confusing the protocols a bit. Synology VPN is not open to public protocol, it is their proprietary protocol. You can setup it with few clicks on RT2600ac and download the relevant apps. It is possible that Synology NAS has support for the same, I don't know as I don't own Synology NAS. But this protocol works in China with no issues, but you won't find this protocol at any of your flawed blogs etc. This is DYI solution.

I am not sure where you are talking your resources from but please change the blogs you are using as they are all flawed or heavily affiliated with marketings profits.

Tip if you have a 12VPN "proxy" connection running (as one blogger from your posts complain about it being more proxy than VPN), then you can always run proxifier.com on top of 12VPN, it will redirect all traffic including from all the apps (voip etc) to 12VPN proxy service.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.