Recommendation: Reliable workshops in JB

Sammychan

Banned
Reaction score
Vacuum leak can be bad. Will cause engine to run rich and clog up the Cat...
Very often vacuum leak does not go to that extent...but hidden somewhere...and need to find...most cases are minor so far. A few customers we couldnt find..and reluctant to pursue because how do you charge?...if need 10 days to find...and just repair a hole...how much? $50? $100? .it does not make economical sense at all.

Sammychan

Banned
Reaction score
I think I’m just more particular. Water is fine but not ideal.
Definitely the industrial practice is to fill with water if just a bit. No workshop will open new bottle of coolant just to refill a bit and left it on the shelf for dunnowhodunnowhenwillneedtorefillagain

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Definitely the industrial practice is to fill with water if just a bit. No workshop will open new bottle of coolant just to refill a bit and left it on the shelf for dunnowhodunnowhenwillneedtorefillagain

Seconded on this.

If coolant level too low, which is very unusual. Workshop will start to check on leakage area with coolant marks.

stam

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Strange. Too new to have issues assuming you kept it stock.

You say Cat is dirty. Should be running rich (not lean) if dirty. (Correct me if wrong anyone). Possible case of vacumm leak causing rich running?

I think do the vacumm leak test first. Then check O2 sensors. Vacumm leak test (i.e smoke test) doesn’t require change of parts and thus should be cheaper.

If no vacumm leak, consider changing O2 sensors and MAF sensor (do it one at a time to isolate the issue).

Yes, I suspect sensors but currently no error code. But earlier others advice sensor could be spoilt without error codes.

I notice my lower gears very heavy instant fuel consumption reading.

Higher gears seems ok. Don’t know if it’s the gear box issue

~WindzStriker~

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
L10 Pro.
23, Jalan Permas 9/9 Bandar Permas Jaya, 81750 Masai, Johor.
Look for the boss Ah Chen@ +6012- 794 2588

I usually will buy parts nearby and go fix at the shop.
Parts shop:
Hup Heng Auto Parts (Automotive Spare Parts)
No. 9, Jalan Permas 4/4, Taman Permas Jaya, 81750 Masai, Johor, Malaysia.

whatsapp no reply
facebook message no reply
call no answer

forget this shop :s13:

xiaozhi86

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, I suspect sensors but currently no error code. But earlier others advice sensor could be spoilt without error codes.

I notice my lower gears very heavy instant fuel consumption reading.

Higher gears seems ok. Don’t know if it’s the gear box issue

i think you should go log a reading of your fuel trim and see what the value. gearbox if no error code dont think need do anything. maybe do a change of gearbox oil will help?

i think sensors code only come out when the sensor really uplorry. intermittent i think maybe wont come out

stam

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think you should go log a reading of your fuel trim and see what the value. gearbox if no error code dont think need do anything. maybe do a change of gearbox oil will help?

i think sensors code only come out when the sensor really uplorry. intermittent i think maybe wont come out

Ok, maybe I try replacing the sensors 1 by 1

Sammychan

Banned
Reaction score

Contrary to what people believe, error code only appears at the last stage. A lot of parts may not be good but still can be used and keep the car moving but just fall short of optimum performance. Gearbox and engine are big ticket items which will require at least one major overhaul inside 15 years. Gearbox itself is a complexed part. It requires the right pressure inside for it to work properly. Around 30% of ATF change produces unwanted/undesirable symptoms like jerking and funny noises. This is due to the overall harmonious balance is upsetted. All things inside kinda found its way to form a balance synergically and the new oil disturb it. Sometimes it will take a while to recover, sometimes more major reconditioning needed. Typically ATF change doesnt include filter change if you did not specifically ask for it. So next time if you are doing a ATF change, ask for the filter to be changed too.

luv_boa

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My engine has a whizzing sound when it's in neutral. It is gone when I clutch in. I Google and seems like my transmission input shaft bearing is causing the problem. I asked ah yuan and he told me to change the gearbox.

Would like to ask for advices. Normally such bearing cannot change by its own?

SuperSprint

Reaction score
My engine has a whizzing sound when it's in neutral. It is gone when I clutch in. I Google and seems like my transmission input shaft bearing is causing the problem. I asked ah yuan and he told me to change the gearbox.

get second opinion, nowadays i don trust his judgement anymore as he like to solve issues by using those overhaul methods. maybe is more straight forward and easier job and earn more for him.

Sammychan

Banned
Reaction score

That is reconditioning gearbox. Coe how long more? If still can use...just use until coe expire. If still many yrs to go and u r particular....it will cost $2000++ to recon...and about $1500 for half cut from Japan. Half cut means taken off a scrapped car. No guarantee. Recon means they open up the gearbox and replace all the bearings and seals....with warranty. This i will recommend go JB to do...will save 50%.

Sammychan

Banned
Reaction score
get second opinion, nowadays i don trust his judgement anymore as he like to solve issues by using those overhaul methods. maybe is more straight forward and easier job and earn more for him.
Gearbox is pretty straight forward. No workshop will open up to troubleshoot and change one bearing for you and charge you $50. Nobody ever troubleshoot gearbox issue...it is just not worth the time. Same as aircon compressor.

luv_boa

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's a coe car.left 3 years+ thou. I think I am not willing to spend so much to change the whole gearbox. Might as well just scrap it when the gearbox fails..

Last edited:

luv_boa

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

This sunday will let him have a look and see how it goes. Maybe will pop by sg workshop and seek second opinion after that.

liquidh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
$8k for package to change rubber parts for COE corolla? Is that popular? Sounds a tad expensive to me especially for an old car. If I were to renew, I’d just live with the decreased comfort.

Usually those things spoil then change one. Coz those things do not affect comfort of car...and to be honest we wouldnt want to touch anything if nothing is wrong in the engine bay. The pipes have hardened and can easily break. It can lead to a hose of things needing to change.

At most i would suggest to car owners is change radiator if leaks can be observed ..especially if he goes malaysia often. Leaks can still be used for a long time but most inconvenient is burst in the middle of nowhere or on a weekend.

In the ballpack of $8K including parts for normal sedan like Corolla. All original Toyota parts. 2 things I recommend only use Toyota parts. One is rubber related parts like eg bushes..stoppers..mounts. Two is anything related to brake system. Be it disc or pad etc. Reason being non Toyota parts will have a lot of funny noises due to poor quality.

Sammychan

Banned
Reaction score
$8k for package to change rubber parts for COE corolla? Is that popular? Sounds a tad expensive to me especially for an old car. If I were to renew, I’d just live with the decreased comfort.
no. The entire suspension system. Nobody will advise you to take down the whole rack to replace rubber.

liquidh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Even that. I doubt I’d do it for a coe corolla. Don’t think people buy coe corolla for comfort; more as a daily beater instead. You will only replace necessary parts or preventive parts where failure would lead to serious damage to vehicle (e.g. timing belt).

no. The entire suspension system. Nobody will advise you to take down the whole rack to replace rubber.

Last edited:

Sammychan

Banned
Reaction score
Even that. I doubt I’d do it for a coe corolla. Don’t think people buy coe corolla for comfort; more as a daily beater instead. You will only replace necessary parts or preventive parts where failure would lead to serious damage to vehicle (e.g. timing belt).
You wont doesnt mean everyone must follow you ma. The cost for upkeep an old car is high because of the need to troubleshoot when parts are not working. Over the long term it is far cheaper and less hassle to replace everything at one go. Imagine for every thing small that spoil you pay for labour of $100++ to bring down the car bottom. Shocks spoil change, spring spoil change bush spoil change shocks mounting spoil change...you will be paying how many times for labour to just change shocks related stuff? The road is full of penny wise pound foolish man like you. Here i am dishing out FOC advice and you think you know it all. *chortle*

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.