[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OK let me put this into context since everyone likes to jump on people here for saying what you "think" I'm saying. I said this in my previous post: -

"When you say APC are you referring to backup battery? The Synology is pretty robust and handles power failures well. I've been using them for about 6 years and had no issues recovering from power failures."

For Singapore where we have a relatively good power supply with little surges, I have not encountered any issues for the time I have been using Synology NAS's. I am now on my 2nd over the period of about 6 years. To correct what I said above, I would add "From my experience, the Synology is pretty robust at handling power failures,...".

In places like Malaysia, I would absolutely recommend a UPS purely for the surge protection as I have experienced PC's getting fried from a power surge before.

I currently have my Synology configured to auto-power on if it encounters power loss. I do stand firm with my statement as this is a home user environment which would be price sensitive. EVERYONE would want all the bells and whistles to protect for every eventuality but bottom line is that a UPS uses batteries that wear out over time and can be very costly.

Hope this clarifies things for those that want to nit pick!

nit pick and clarifying are 2 separate matters. When you are wrong, i cannot say it is right.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
APC CS350/500, personally recommended, saved me from numerous outrages due to faulty appliances at home causing power trips, lighting that induced power trips, and power outage at my area abruptly

using it too but i feel the color/design super dated.

hafiz116

Reaction score
nit pick and clarifying are 2 separate matters. When you are wrong, i cannot say it is right.

I will be more mindful not to state what I think in future,.. will just say facts if thats what you prefer!

Agree, my statement could have been taken in many ways so will be more direct in future.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Well functional and easy to replace the battery is critical for me. I personally don't care of a rectangular beige colour enclosure. Of course, some might not prefer.

My home is mostly white, so blends well for me :p

I get 3rd party batteries from sim lim easily.

Last edited:

Vulpix

Reaction score

I personally love the APC Back-UPS design. Very modern and sleek, have one running for my current NAS. Now headache finding a small squarish one for my new home. Wish there are nice looking ones...

007Mi6

Reaction score
I personally love the APC Back-UPS design. Very modern and sleek, have one running for my current NAS. Now headache finding a small squarish one for my new home. Wish there are nice looking ones...

May I know which is the feature for automated shutting down of the NAS in the event of power trip?

ghgan1

Reaction score
So far I also do not see a need to have a UPS for consumer NAS at home.

If your house have frequent power trips, a UPS will not solve the power trips, you need to engage an electrician to solve your power trip issue.

If you experience power trips that cause your house appliance to be faulty, likely it is due to power surge. Getting a power surge protector will solve this issue. Otherwise another possibilities is that, there might be too many appliance connected to your single power source (e.g. 6-10 gang power strip plug to a single 3-pin power outlet) that might trip the MCB in your house.

So far my past experiences for power trip on both 4 bays and 2 bays synology and taobao xenology nas does not cause any data loss or motherboard being faulty.

As for saving data or access data in the NAS during power trip that might cause data corruption, my advise is to enable file version control in your nas so that you can recover the file previous stable version in the event of file corruption.

If data protection is what you requires, then having backup is a must. You can get a an external hdd or cheap synology or taobao xenology for backup purposes. This might be useful if in the future for data migration you need to upgrade your nas hdd or upgrade your nas box. You can also use cloud storage for backup. My point is that having UPS on a single nas does not equal to data protection if you only have a single nas at home. You need backup storage for better data protection.

karloil

Reaction score
Just to chime in, I also opted to get a UPS. Was fortunate to get a 500W version in Lazada for only $80ish.

My thinking, since I already invested in hardware and putting all my files in it (all my eggs in 1 basket), then I should at least do everything that I can to make my hardware as 'safe' as possible.

IMO, well worth the purchase for my peace of mind ;)

karloil

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your input.

I notice that DS420J is not or not yet compatible with many HGST Ultrastar and Toshiba Nearline series of HDD. Is it safe to use such HDD?

Why wouldn't it be compatible? Where did you get this informstion?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to chime in, I also opted to get a UPS. Was fortunate to get a 500W version in Lazada for only $80ish.

My thinking, since I already invested in hardware and putting all my files in it (all my eggs in 1 basket), then I should at least do everything that I can to make my hardware as 'safe' as possible.

Definitely. That's the whole point of even investing in a NAS in the first place isn't it. ?

Suppose the contrary, IF after you have spent near to a $1K or even more for a capable NAS inclusive of harddisks which your expectation that you can put your data in there knowing it will be safe in it, but you decided to just take a gamble on the power supply, which is the most obvious criterion to reliability of an electrical appliance, knowing there are potential file or disk corruption or system failure in the event of a electrical surge or outrage, that doesn't seems like a sensible choice, isn't it :)

Consideration that it is a consumer class product used in a consumer scenario and therefore it doesn't require electrical protection compared to a multi-million dollar enterprise scenario seems rather unfitting in my opinion.

An enterprise loses reputation, loses customer confidence, loses credibility and definitely loses money and opportunity when your hardware or software fails. That is something we can all appreciate.

How about consumer, loses an entire collection of photographs of once in a life time honeymoon with your wife 10-30 years ago ? Can you get it back ? Loses the photograph of your parents taken 30 years ago, of your grannies, of someone you loved but no longer around, is it of less importance compared to the company losing data ?

How about the thesis that you have written 20 years back, that you know it is of importance to you, or perhaps an assignment you have just written 1 month ago, and you decided to place it into the NAS because you know it is a safe place to store your data. Does losing any of these information, or they are corrupted in some way which you never detect them, means less important to you as an individual compared to a company or a country ?

Redundancy is not backup. That is what some of us understand. However, when is the last time you went through all your photos or documents that you have saved in your NAS since 5-10 years ago, validate that they are still the way they are when stored into the NAS ?

Will backup solved the problem ? Think of this very common scenario, used in almost all backup strategy.

1) Store fresh data in NAS.
2) Periodically backup happens, maybe daily, weekly or monthly. Same data stored in another storage device
3) Retrieve the same piece of data, edit it and save back into the disk.
4) While saving, power outrage and the NAS just shutdown in the middle of the copy
5) Another period as past, backup from NAS into backup device

What happened ? Did the backup save your day ? If one is not even willing to invest in a UPS, I highly doubt one will be doing differential or incremental backup practised in an enterprise environment.

I know what some might say "Hey, you should have checked the data is written properly when the data is written". Sure one piece of data, no problem.

1000 piece of photos you are copy over from your host to the NAS, if you will check every single pieces after writing, sure. Good for you for you are a very diligent and cautious person. Do make sure you are regimental about it. That's part of the workflow to ensure data integrity. Otherwise no RAID or Backup is going to save your day

Bitrot, anyone heard before ? RAID write hole, anyone heard before ? How do you detect bit rot ? Technique read and write every single bits on the hard disk, that's why data scrubbing exist. RAID write hole ? Again data scrubbing, and even simple data scrubbing doesn't protect against, which is why with the introduction of BTRFS in Synology, it has file scrubbing to help in another level using checksum.

As you have mentioned, because you have placed all your data into one basket, and even most backup strategy employed are copy over without versioning, it is not as safe as one think it is.

Indeed how many times of power outrages do we experience in a year to be considered a good sample size to come to the conclusion the the NAS alone without any power outrage protection is a robust system ? Lets say 2 times of outrage per year, how about be prudent once every month ? :) Is 3.28767123% is a good statistics to call out a system as been robust if it happens every month. What is the statistic of flipping a coin falling on its head ? 50%. High enough ? Can you be sure the next time you flip it will fall on its tail ? What is 3.28% compared to 50% as a reliable experience to brand a system without power outrage protection for most of us, power outrage are rare. In my experience, I have only encountered them almost once a year or even rarer. How many times will it take to corrupt the files in your NAS ? Once. Which one it is will really depends on how lucky you are.

For me, I'm very lucky in a sense that my NAS has never broken down for 10 years, but in this forum and in fact in this thread, I keep seeing some people asking about where to RMA their faulty unit. Should I be complacent? I can definitely live for a month without my NAS if I need to RMA it, or I simply just buy a new unit to replace the current one. But will you be able to retrieve back a 5 year old piece of photo, corrupted 2 years ago without you know, overwritten again and again for the last 3 years into your backup ?

Well Good for you for you have chosen a path to better protect your data having the UPS is in my opinion, a significantly lesser cost compared to a SDG±1K solution.

For me, my data are uploaded daily to AWS S3 Deep Glacier with document versioning, because my thousands of RAW photos, especially my marriage, family photos/videos taken during tours are especially important to me, more so the older I get.

Personally I don't scrimp on such stuffs because I have the technical know how to make machines work for me, and if I measure the cost of losing my data to an undetectable situation, I would have invested in a solution that give me a piece of mind. Enterprise or Consumer is totally beside the point, because the perspective of COST is different.

Also as another poster have suggested, switch on your documents versioning on your NAS if such a feature is available. HyperBackup also support backup versioning, so use it if you can.

However so, the ultimate decision is the owner of his/her data. If you value your data, you know what to do. If you think you are adequately protected, good for you. :) That's all I have to share.

Last edited:

mlmooy

Reaction score
Definitely. That's the whole point of even investing in a NAS in the first place isn't it. ?

Suppose the contrary, IF after you have spent near to a $1K or even more for a capable NAS inclusive of harddisks which your expectation that you can put your data in there knowing it will be safe in it, but you decided to just take a gamble on the power supply, which is the most obvious criterion to reliability of an electrical appliance, knowing there are potential file or disk corruption or system failure in the event of a electrical surge or outrage, that doesn't seems like a sensible choice, isn't it :)

Consideration that it is a consumer class product used in a consumer scenario and therefore it doesn't require electrical protection compared to a multi-million dollar enterprise scenario seems rather unfitting in my opinion.

An enterprise loses reputation, loses customer confidence, loses credibility and definitely loses money and opportunity when your hardware or software fails. That is something we can all appreciate.

How about consumer, loses an entire collection of photographs of once in a life time honeymoon with your wife 10-30 years ago ? Can you get it back ? Loses the photograph of your parents taken 30 years ago, of your grannies, of someone you loved but no longer around, is it of less importance compared to the company losing data ?

How about the thesis that you have written 20 years back, that you know it is of importance to you, or perhaps an assignment you have just written 1 month ago, and you decided to place it into the NAS because you know it is a safe place to store your data. Does losing any of these information, or they are corrupted in some way which you never detect them, means less important to you as an individual compared to a company or a country ?

Redundancy is not backup. That is what some of us understand. However, when is the last time you went through all your photos or documents that you have saved in your NAS since 5-10 years ago, validate that they are still the way they are when stored into the NAS ?

Will backup solved the problem ? Think of this very common scenario, used in almost all backup strategy.

2) Periodically backup happens, maybe daily, weekly or monthly. Same data stored in another storage device
4) While saving, power outrage and the NAS just shutdown in the middle of the copy

What happened ? Did the backup save your day ? If one is not even willing to invest in a UPS, I highly doubt one will be doing differential or incremental backup practised in an enterprise environment.

I know what some might say "Hey, you should have checked the data is written properly when the data is written". Sure one piece of data, no problem.

1000 piece of photos you are copy over from your host to the NAS, if you will check every single pieces after writing, sure. Good for you for you are a very diligent and cautious person. Do make sure you are regimental about it. That's part of the workflow to ensure data integrity. Otherwise no RAID or Backup is going to save your day

Bitrot, anyone heard before ? RAID write hole, anyone heard before ? How do you detect bit rot ? Technique read and write every single bits on the hard disk, that's why data scrubbing exist. RAID write hole ? Again data scrubbing, and even simple data scrubbing doesn't protect against, which is why with the introduction of BTRFS in Synology, it has file scrubbing to help in another level using checksum.

As you have mentioned, because you have placed all your data into one basket, and even most backup strategy employed are copy over without versioning, it is not as safe as one think it is.

Indeed how many times of power outrages do we experience in a year to be considered a good sample size to come to the conclusion the the NAS alone without any power outrage protection is a robust system ? Lets say 2 times of outrage per year, how about be prudent once every month ? :) Is 3.28767123% is a good statistics to call out a system as been robust if it happens every month. What is the statistic of flipping a coin falling on its head ? 50%. High enough ? Can you be sure the next time you flip it will fall on its tail ? What is 3.28% compared to 50% as a reliable experience to brand a system without power outrage protection for most of us, power outrage are rare. In my experience, I have only encountered them almost once a year or even rarer. How many times will it take to corrupt the files in your NAS ? Once. Which one it is will really depends on how lucky you are.

For me, I'm very lucky in a sense that my NAS has never broken down for 10 years, but in this forum and in fact in this thread, I keep seeing some people asking about where to RMA their faulty unit. Should I be complacent? I can definitely live for a month without my NAS if I need to RMA it, or I simply just buy a new unit to replace the current one. But will you be able to retrieve back a 5 year old piece of photo, corrupted 2 years ago without you know, overwritten again and again for the last 3 years into your backup ?

Well Good for you for you have chosen a path to better protect your data having the UPS is in my opinion, a significantly lesser cost compared to a SDG±1K solution.

For me, my data are uploaded daily to AWS S3 Deep Glacier with document versioning, because my thousands of RAW photos, especially my marriage, family photos/videos taken during tours are especially important to me, more so the older I get.

Personally I don't scrimp on such stuffs because I have the technical know how to make machines work for me, and if I measure the cost of losing my data to an undetectable situation, I would have invested in a solution that give me a piece of mind. Enterprise or Consumer is totally beside the point, because the perspective of COST is different.

Also as another poster have suggested, switch on your documents versioning on your NAS if such a feature is available. HyperBackup also support backup versioning, so use it if you can.

However so, the ultimate decision is the owner of his/her data. If you value your data, you know what to do. If you think you are adequately protected, good for you. :) That's all I have to share.

Thanks for the insight! Appreciate it

Vulpix

Reaction score

I posted in here before about my experience, but I actually lost my data from a sudden power trip in my block during my early NAS days. Mine not even an old block, I think was around 8 years old.

Matrock5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am new to this NAS thing thus i am curious, if i am copying over 1000 photos over to my NAS for example and if a power outage happens won't my photos still remains in my existing source before copying over?

I read a few replies that a reliable power source for your NAS is important? what would be a good power source?cables? plugs? watt?

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i super value...

hence...

918+ backup to another 918+
both connected to UPS.
both on RAID5 (prev on RAID6 when i was on DS1515+ & DX513)
with Hyper Backup + Versioning

Considered backup?

:o

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am new to this NAS thing thus i am curious, if i am copying over 1000 photos over to my NAS for example and if a power outage happens won't my photos still remains in my existing source before copying over?

I read a few replies that a reliable power source for your NAS is important? what would be a good power source?cables? plugs? watt?

Of course it will, but will you bother to copy over again that 1000 photos, or you will realise 200 has completed, and you will just copy over the missing 800? Will you find out out of the 200 that went thru, you will check if all all intact? Remember harddisk have write caches, just because it is completely written recognised by the OS, doesn’t mean the data has been written into the platters. You have to check that you have configured your NAS to have no write cache for the harddisk and no write cache means your write speed will suffer. That is why hardware raid comes with optional battery packs to ensure best write speed and yet in the event of a server sudden failure, the unwritten cache in the hardware card will be sustained for normally up to 72hrs and can be written into the drives once the server start again. The UPS plays such a role for a consumer grade software raid solution.

UPS will be a reliable power source, because it plays the role of power surge prevention and also the role of switching into the battery should the mains failed. It is as if your NAS is working like a laptop with battery, however a laptop with battery is not protected from power surges. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.