2018 iPad Pro

lunarsong

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply with an explanation.

One more thing to ask is about storage. Should I go for 128GB or 256GB?
My intended usage with the iPad Pro 12.9" will be:
1. Reading and Replying emails.
2. Creating and editing simple PowerPoint files (may need to save on device but not a big files)
3. Viewing excel files (may need to save on device but not a lot too)
4. Netflix and Spotify (current storage usage on the device is 6GB for Spotify and normally Netflix is only when traveling at 2 GB the most)
5. Photo editing (not professional)

usage a: non-storage related, more of processing power
usage b: I'm assuming that u will delete the powerpoint after you are done with presentation. but again, it is very hard to hit a 1 GB powerpoint file
usage c: usually small size, but i suppose u will delete after u are done with the excel
usage d: assuming you will delete the Netflix show after you are done watching. Spotify files will take up space but it wont be substantively huge even if download 'extreme' quality
usage e: same as usage c

technically, u can go with 128GB. backup those impt documents to your hdd or cloud storage.

RocketBunny

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply with an explanation.

One more thing to ask is about storage. Should I go for 128GB or 256GB?
My intended usage with the iPad Pro 12.9" will be:
1. Reading and Replying emails.
2. Creating and editing simple PowerPoint files (may need to save on device but not a big files)
3. Viewing excel files (may need to save on device but not a lot too)
4. Netflix and Spotify (current storage usage on the device is 6GB for Spotify and normally Netflix is only when traveling at 2 GB the most)
5. Photo editing (not professional)

128 more than enough. With cloud storage etc. If not enough just bring along a Usb c thumb drive also can if no connection to internet.

I'm using 64gb for school work. Plenty storage left.

My 2cents

staralliance

Reaction score
128 more than enough. With cloud storage etc. If not enough just bring along a Usb c thumb drive also can if no connection to internet.

I'm using 64gb for school work. Plenty storage left.

My 2cents

Thank you RocketBunny for sharing your usage and thoughts.

usage a: non-storage related, more of processing power
usage b: I'm assuming that u will delete the powerpoint after you are done with presentation. but again, it is very hard to hit a 1 GB powerpoint file
usage c: usually small size, but i suppose u will delete after u are done with the excel
usage d: assuming you will delete the Netflix show after you are done watching. Spotify files will take up space but it wont be substantively huge even if download 'extreme' quality
usage e: same as usage c

technically, u can go with 128GB. backup those impt documents to your hdd or cloud storage.

Thank you Lunarsong for the detailed explanation. As for the portable HDD, is it possible to use the Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drives?

lunarsong

Reaction score
Thank you RocketBunny for sharing your usage and thoughts.

Thank you Lunarsong for the detailed explanation. As for the portable HDD, is it possible to use the Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drives?

you can opt for either a wireless or wired. if you are thinking portability, you may even use thumbdrive if you need to transfer files between you and your colleagues, and then backup them in hdd when u reach home

but will need an adapter to connect your thumbdrive/hdd to your iPad pro though

staralliance

Reaction score
you can opt for either a wireless or wired. if you are thinking portability, you may even use thumbdrive if you need to transfer files between you and your colleagues, and then backup them in hdd when u reach home

but will need an adapter to connect your thumbdrive/hdd to your iPad pro though

Thanks again for sharing. Currently, I'm using the Seagate Backup Plus for me MacBook Pro 13".

With all the inputs from all, I decided to get IPP 12.9" 128GB WiFi with Logitech Slim Folio Pro case and Apple Pencil Gen 2 which is within my set budget.

anthonygreenisreal

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it worth it to get the 2018 iPad Pro 11 inch at $999 for 256gb model or the 2020 iPad Pro 11 inch 128gb model for $1199?

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it worth it to get the 2018 iPad Pro 11 inch at $999 for 256gb model or the 2020 iPad Pro 11 inch 128gb model for $1199?

If you want the latest and greatest, the choice is obvious. But do note the 2020 model’s upgrade is only subtle from the 2018 model. The A12Z processor is only slightly faster than the A12X with an extra GPU core. The 2020 model supports wifi 6 but you’ll need a wifi 6-capable router in order to utilise it. Lastly, an extra camera with LiDAR sensor for improved AR capabilities.

If you really need the LiDAR, wifi 6 and that slight power boost, then 2020 model is your choice, else everything else is the same as the 2018 model.

Now also comes cost to capacity. If money’s not a big issue to you, just get the latest model. $200 extra with 3 improved features (depends on your needs) but with half the capacity. If capacity matters a lot to you over those new features, I suggest the 2018 model ($200 less with double the capacity).

The ultimate choice is yours bro, the 2018 model is still a powerhouse and can last for at least another year or two. If I were in your shoes, I’d buy the 2020 model since I don’t use anything more than 64GB for iPad.

dingdung

Reaction score
All iPad Pro 2020 models also equip with 6gb RAM which allows more apps and tasks to run even more effortlessly.

anthonygreenisreal

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think the iPad Pro 2020 128gb is the better deal. Can find deals online for about 1149 which makes it only $150 more than the iPad Pro 2018 256gb.

For 2gb more ram, slightly better CPU and better graphics and camera/mic and wifi speed.

It’s makes a lot of sense to go for the iPad Pro 2020 despite lower capacity. Quite sure I won’t be using until 256gb of storage.

lunarsong

Reaction score
I bought the 2018 IPP 11” and spent the price diff between it and the 2020 IPP 11” on Apple Pencil.

Don’t rly need to LIDAR and WIFI 6, and no use for the extra 2GB ram. Unless you use graphic intensive app like Photoshop or Lumafusion

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah I think the iPad Pro 2020 128gb is the better deal. Can find deals online for about 1149 which makes it only $150 more than the iPad Pro 2018 256gb.

For 2gb more ram, slightly better CPU and better graphics and camera/mic and wifi speed.

It’s makes a lot of sense to go for the iPad Pro 2020 despite lower capacity. Quite sure I won’t be using until 256gb of storage.

If you are student, price is $1129 on edu store for 2020 11" 128GB. Best to wait for back to school promo, they will give free Beats that you can sell for $100+.

micgoh

Reaction score
Was there a courts promotion etc? Saw carousell flooded with this model brand new in box.

anthonygreenisreal

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Was there a courts promotion etc? Saw carousell flooded with this model brand new in box.

Haaichi Tech and a lot of places are clearing the 2018 IPad Pro for a really good price as they are discountinued. These people on Carousell are mostly scalping to earn quick bucks from these online deals.

GreenTea97

Reaction score
Would anyone recommend the 2018 or 2020 model for a uni student? mainly looking to write notes only and tbh the few hundred or so i can save can be used for the apple pencil etc

anthonygreenisreal

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Would anyone recommend the 2018 or 2020 model for a uni student? mainly looking to write notes only and tbh the few hundred or so i can save can be used for the apple pencil etc

If you wanna write note only can just get the iPad 2019 With Apple Pencil 1. It’s is a whole lot cheaper than even the iPad Air 3.

GreenTea97

Reaction score
If you wanna write note only can just get the iPad 2019 With Apple Pencil 1. It’s is a whole lot cheaper than even the iPad Air 3.

Thanks for the suggestion! yeah it kinda makes sense to me to get the older model especially since i can save a few hundred dollars in the process, thinking of getting a refurbished model once it goes back in stock on the apple website to save even more

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Only bugbear is that iPad 2019 has a non-laminated screen, so in between your pencil and the screen itself you will feel a slight "gap"

feigningfancy

Master Member
Reaction score
Haaichi Tech and a lot of places are clearing the 2018 IPad Pro for a really good price as they are discountinued. These people on Carousell are mostly scalping to earn quick bucks from these online deals.

Yeah if the deal is still around from hacchi tech with student promo is more worth it

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.