Desktop Chair Roundup - Ergonomic Chair

spectrearc

Reaction score
PMed the Haworth on the Fern, I really bth my current chair (Markus) - the headrest giving me neck pain.

The promo coming without headrest actually even better for me lol

xtreme84

Reaction score

I asked before here. Others had also asked b4. Seems like no one here is using Benel chairs.

I've been following this thread closely for quite a while now and I learnt a lot of new information thanks to the members here.

I just received my Benel Aeria (which I learnt about from here as well) last Friday and I contemplated posting here as there hasn't been much information on it in this thread. Eventually I didn't as I'm not really knowledgeable about ergonomic chairs and I didn't think I had anything useful to share.

I was using the IKEA Markus for the last 5 years and the Verner for a few years before that. They served me well but the PU on the Verner peeled really badly, which led to me looking for a better chair and eventually settling for the Markus. Back then I just wanted something that was made of mesh and had a full back.

I used them every night when I came home from work, before I went to bed on weekdays. That's probably a couple of hours per day and many more on weekends.

The Markus is solidly built and the leather lasted much longer than the PU on the Verner. It has a 10-year warranty and I can imagine it lasting that long. I love the tilt mechanism on the Markus and I took many naps on it.

I have a slipped disc and even so, the Markus was still very comfortable for me, although I must say that the Markus has minimum to negligible lumbar support. The mesh also allows a lot of dust and dirt to be trapped, I found out when I unzipped the cover after 5 years.

Like many others, I started wfh a few months back. Sitting on the Markus for 12-15 hours a day with short breaks in between was mostly manageable. I experienced only slight discomfort in my back at times. But seeing that I'll be spending more time at home in the foreseeable future, I decided to take the opportunity to get a better chair.

I knew about the Herman Miller Aeron even back when I was planning to purchase the Markus, but I wasn't really comfortable spending that much for it. I'm sure it's worth every cent as most people here have shared, but personally I just wasn't quite looking at a chair in that price range. It did cross my mind to get a second hand Aeron but I eventually decided I would prefer something new.

When I first started browsing this thread a bit more seriously to find a replacement for my Markus, it just so happened that the Chairworkers S7 was launched on UI's website. I came so close to pulling the trigger, but in the end, the cautious side of me resisted the urge as there were no reviews yet on the $699++ chair. When the first reviews appeared, they had quickly sold out.

So I looked around for other full mesh, full back (with headrest) alternatives around that price range. I learnt about the Ergotune, then the Sail and also the Aeria and the significantly cheaper Sihoo M57.

I placed an order for the M57 on TaoBao but the seller messed up and realised they couldn't afford to ship to SG for the shipping fee they collected from me. I waited for weeks before checking with the courier and that's when I learnt they weren't going to ship to me. I was disappointed as I was hoping to use the new chair sooner rather than later.

It also made me miss the restock of the S7 and the Ergotune and Sail were also sold out by then. So I looked at the Aeria again as they had stock and when I checked with them if they came with hard floor castors, someone from Benel responded to me via email within 20 minutes. Subsequent queries were all responded to promptly as well.

After considering that the Ergotune and Sail looked like rebranded OEMs, I decided to go with the Aeria. There's a promo code that they shared on their FB page if anyone's interested.

Delivery took about a week. Delivery guy was friendly and professional. The Aeria came fully assembled and wrapped up, including the wheels. He used a trolley to transport the chair. He removed the protective wrappers outside my house before carrying it in and asked if I knew how to adjust the chair. I decided to let him advise me and he patiently showed me how to adjust all the different settings.

I immediately started using the Aeria for the rest of the day, trying to see what are the optimum settings along the way. That night, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a WhatsApp message from a representative from Benel to thank me for my purchase and also a PDF instruction manual.

As for the Aeria, to be honest I am still making adjustments here and there and I can't say I have found the ideal adjustments yet. It does feel quite different from my Markus, but thus far, I have not regretted my purchase.

The mesh is a bit plasticky, while the one on the Markus is more cloth-like. The main difference is the mesh seat versus the leather one on the Markus. It's certainly more comfortable and cooler. I just hope it doesn't start sagging any time soon.

The chair itself feels quite solid even though I think it's mostly plastic including the base whereas the Markus is mostly metal. This was something that made me hesitate initially. But having seen and felt the chair, I must say the plastic feels quite premium. I even wonder if there are any metal parts encased in the plastic, but I'm not really sure.

The headrest is much better than on the Markus and the angle and height can be adjusted.

The arm rests and lumbar support can be adjusted as well, but only up and down. The material on the arm rests is semi-hard and quite comfortable. The padding on the lumbar support is made of a rubbery material which I prefer over a fabric one as the latter would probably be dirtier over time.

There is a tilt mechanism and you can lock the back rest at different angles.

Depth of the seat pan can be adjusted and I wasn't aware of this when I made the purchase so it's a pleasant surprise. The seat pan on the Markus protruded a bit too much to my liking so this is a welcomed improvement for me.

Height and tension adjustments are available as with most office chairs of this price range.

The wheel base feels really solid and the castors can be used on hard or soft surfaces according to Benel. I'm using mine on tiled flooring and it works just fine.

As for whether it causes my back any more or less discomfort, I don't think I can really comment at this point of time since it's only been a couple of days. But for now, it doesn't make my back feel any better or worse than my Markus, so I would say it is satisfactory for now. I'll check in again if things change.

All in all, I'm satisfied with my purchase and I appreciate the great service, adjustment options, the build quality and the 3-year warranty (though I'm not too sure how that works and hope I never have to find out).

Sorry for the wall of text and I hope it helps someone.

spectrearc

Reaction score
The markus honestly the headrest is the worst part of it, if it doesn't fit you it'll really suck - i rly bth mine...

I've heard the newer update, the jarfjallet is better, but ikea sibei far sia...

layzibum22

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The markus honestly the headrest is the worst part of it, if it doesn't fit you it'll really suck - i rly bth mine...

I've heard the newer update, the jarfjallet is better, but ikea sibei far sia...

The legs of markus very painful... the angled legs plus the strong metal can really hurt.

hg2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The legs of markus very painful... the angled legs plus the strong metal can really hurt.

Like me haha, dont know why sometimes the ankle entangled with the chair metal legs, pain pain....wear socks doesn't help, doesn't make sense to wear shoes inside own house....so wrap those bubble bag around it....

hg2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Ikea GSS sales started, can buy online ...

hg2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ikea the online delivery more chor than at the store itself lol.

Anyway, will prob buy the Fern, i want a chair without a neckrest.

It will never be lazada or shopee....
But improved a lots, drop a few kitchen items into cart and checkout + $10 delivery.... for small items not so bad lah!

Last edited:

spectrearc

Reaction score
Tbh part of the fun of Ikea is the restaurant, wait until that one open then go

Hopefully their Jem outlet quickly open so I no need go Alexandria

sseah12

Reaction score
PMed the Haworth on the Fern, I really bth my current chair (Markus) - the headrest giving me neck pain.

The promo coming without headrest actually even better for me lol
yep.. Have to test out the headrest.. If not suitable, I wil go for the black fern w/o..

getreal88

Reaction score
Mine no 4D armrest is $1087.12 but got aluminum base and headrest. The quote no breakdown one, you pick a config they quote the entire price as a package as they quote by chair config.
Hi Vulpix, can share how you ordered yours? via the promo (Alicia fr Haworth), online or other options? Online and direct email promo only has 1 option for Fern. Would like to know how to customise like you yet pricing is still kinda discounted. Thanks

Gloom me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@xtreme84 please post pics of your Aeria if possible. Website pictures sure look very nice one. Good to see some real world user pics. Tks.

Vulpix

Reaction score
Hi Vulpix, can share how you ordered yours? via the promo (Alicia fr Haworth), online or other options? Online and direct email promo only has 1 option for Fern. Would like to know how to customise like you yet pricing is still kinda discounted. Thanks

Speak to the Haworth sales person. Got no special tricks or complicated process.

justarius

Reaction score
Customised will have no discount based on what the Haworth sales rep told me. Usually takes a day to reply, but still ok for me.

getreal88

Reaction score
hi all. after reading thru this thread and also googled. ive narrowed down to the promo's black Fern ($845) vs red ErgoTune Supreme ($559). ErgoTune is all mesh while Fern's mesh is covered in fabric. Warranty is about the same 10-12yrs and Fern is more "branded" but Ergotune has 4d armrest. If lumbar support is most important to me, which one would you suggest? Also is the red Ergotune more like maroon red or bloody red, anyone know?
Thanks heaps folks for your advice

sseah12

Reaction score
As long as you want ergotune, some here recommend u try the TB website for the actual model which is cheaper

getreal88

Reaction score
As long as you want ergotune, some here recommend u try the TB website for the actual model which is cheaper
thanks. hmm i prob will skip TB as i always struggle navigating TB and try to find who is selling genuine stuff, also i find their shipping part also confusing, but thats just me :(
Just curious, how much is Ergotune supreme in TB?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.