NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

Nnameless

Reaction score
Hi All,

I hope you are all well and safe during these trying times.

I have been following this forum for quite some time now and I must admit that the information and updates that have been coming out of it have been tremendous, thanks to you all.

I am a mid-career applicant (May / June window) of the PGDE scheme from India (Chennai, Tamil Nadu) and would like to enquire if anyone is aware as to how good the chances of someone like me from abroad is (especially during this pandemic and post-lockdown scenario) w.r.t -

(a) the application getting the attention it needs for me to get an interview
(b) MOE trusting me with adjusting with the curriculum of Singapore (that is foreign to me)
(c) how my chances will be different from a native applicant

and any other information that strikes your mind.

I work as an IT engineer and applied for the Secondary Computer Applications - Secondary English Language combination. I have predominantly seen applicants in this forum talk about subjects other than Computers and so on and hence would also like to know if anyone is aware of the demand of Computer teachers as I seem to find very little information on the internet in this regard.

Thanks for your time and guidance in advance and do take good care of yourself and your family.

You should email MOE on this matter (if you are not in Singapore, would there be an online interview) so that you won't waste your time waiting. Being a local with experiences in the education system and culture does have an advantage.

Just like Math and Science, computing might become an important part of our education system in the future. If you are still interested to apply, maybe you could read up on Singapore's education system and local culture.

Last edited:

davidisrael

Reaction score
MOE welcomes mid-career applicants because their experiences outside can be used to impart skills to students. For example you are an IT engineer, you will be able to use your experiences to show the class why computer applications subject is useful.

If you know the curriculum it will be a plus, but not really a must. It is ok if you do not have any teaching experience before, as training is provided and there will be teachers guiding you along.

First time applicants usually have high chance of securing interview. Personally I don't think being a foreign applicant will affect your chances. When I was doing relief teaching, I have met foreign teachers doing contract teaching (something like probation) and some are already full time. However, I don't know how the current pandemic will affect your application.

From my understanding they are trying to slowly roll out the computing subject (the programming aspect) as a new subject. It is different from computer applications. But only few schools offer it now.

Hi b4zabeat,

Thanks for the valuable information. I also realized that the application windows for this year have shown signs of being deferred in the positive sense for us (I saw the timeline of the May / June window change slightly and also the rigid window of August become preponed, probably also hinting at more windows coming up later this year) which is unusual and this may be a good sign as they are looking for more teachers. Some very recent online articles too, hint at this.

You should email MOE on this matter (if you are not in Singapore, would there be an online interview) so that you won't waste your time waiting. Being a local with experiences in the education system and culture does have an advantage.

Just like Math and Science, computing might become an important part of our education system in the future. If you are still interested to apply, maybe you could read up on Singapore's education system and local culture.

Hi Nnameless,

Thanks for your reply and guidance. Yes, I did email them during the previous window and they did hint at looking at applications from abroad on par with those that are native (not sure what impact the pandemic has on this response, so I will think about emailing them again, if necessary). I do understand what you mean by the cultural and informative advantage of a native applicant, especially during this pandemic, so all I can do is hope for something miraculous to happen.

PS: I am a little surprised that Computing hasn't picked up in Singapore schools as a mainstream subject as it has back in India and elsewhere, though I don't vouch for its quality (which is what matters) back in my country.

b4zabeat

Reaction score
Hi b4zabeat,

Thanks for the valuable information. I also realized that the application windows for this year have shown signs of being deferred in the positive sense for us (I saw the timeline of the May / June window change slightly and also the rigid window of August become preponed, probably also hinting at more windows coming up later this year) which is unusual and this may be a good sign as they are looking for more teachers. Some very recent online articles too, hint at this.
Actually the recruitment of teachers dropped due to the school mergers few years back, so it became quite difficult to get in compared to the past.

Yes indeed it is unusual that the third window is in June. Usually it is in Aug. Not sure if they are looking for more teachers now.

Last edited:

Onlymybest

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was a silent reader of this forum all these while. I applied for PGDE back in January, went for interview in February and went for my medical check up in the first week of June. Just received my offer letter today. Virtual appointment briefing and contract signing on Friday. Expected to start contract teaching on 13 July 2020. My subject combination is Eng/Math Pri. Hope this is helpful/ comforting to those who applied around the same time as me (as was the case for me while reading through the forums).

Hihi bigglobber,
May I know if you are a mid-career applicant, and as to ‘receiving the offer letter’, did they follow up with a call to you? The info on ‘virtual briefing’ is very helpful. Thank you and hope to hear from you soon!

pure.fresh003

Reaction score
It's the end of the week, no EPT or medical updates for Jan Batch Pri Eng/Math

Those in the same boat, hope next week will some updates!

Have a good weekend!

jojo13579

Reaction score
Hi jojo,

Thanks for the information. I jus submitted my application on the 8/6. Hope to get a call in abt a month's time. Wish you the best of luck! Wad will u be teaching during the interview?

With regards,
Jeff
Thank you! I hope you get your call soon also! I'll be teaching pri math during the 5mins presentation.

Helpmehelpme

Reaction score
Hello Jeffrey!
Thank you! I submitted my application on 18th May. The first interview notification email came on 10th June and call came on 16th June.

Hi JoJo, mind if I ask what’s your qualification? I applied on 3rd May and didn’t receive any emails... I’m from SIM and applied for Pri Chinese. They don’t accept private degree?

Bigglobber

Reaction score
Hihi bigglobber,
May I know if you are a mid-career applicant, and as to ‘receiving the offer letter’, did they follow up with a call to you? The info on ‘virtual briefing’ is very helpful. Thank you and hope to hear from you soon!

Hi they did not follow it up with a call. Only an email with the relevant documents for signing was sent along with an SMS notification. Also please note that the sender for this email would be particular staff and not the typical moe ru email address. Hope this helps.

Afshan

Reaction score
Hiiii guys....anyone in the may-june 2020 batch?
I applied on March 24th...I received an email that my application was received on May 18 and again on June 4 I received another message and email requiring additional information . No other update yet...any suggestions?

Lynnie_xoxo

Reaction score
Hiiii guys....anyone in the may-june 2020 batch?
I applied on March 24th...I received an email that my application was received on May 18 and again on June 4 I received another message and email requiring additional information . No other update yet...any suggestions?
I think you can only wait! But if they are requiring more info, thats a good sign!

Lynnie_xoxo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

for those who have gotten into MOE/gone for the interview, is it very important to prepare an out of the box class to impress them?

Or is it ok to prepare a normal class and focus more on the part of managing them as students?

Any tips on the lesson demo? I would greatly appreciate if you can share what you did during the lesson demo :)

b4zabeat

Reaction score
Hi guys,

for those who have gotten into MOE/gone for the interview, is it very important to prepare an out of the box class to impress them?

Or is it ok to prepare a normal class and focus more on the part of managing them as students?

Any tips on the lesson demo? I would greatly appreciate if you can share what you did during the lesson demo :)

It is likely that many people are doing similar things. I think the lesson need to leave them a positive and deep impression so they can still remember you at the end of the day after interviewing many people. Whether you want to focus on normal teaching or more of managing, I feel it does depend on the panel you get that day.

I went for interview twice and I planned to teach with printed worksheets. My first time the panel aren't disruptive, so I am able to focus on teaching. However the second time my panel kept disrupting my lesson and I was unable to teach what I planned to, with most of the time focusing on managing the 'students'. I was rejected for both attempts, so probably my approach of using worksheets wasn't good enough.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.